The Guild of the Golden Helmet

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

November 8 1996. That was my day. I wrote a mid-term and then hustled on down to Cook Street where a solid 25-30 kt. westerly was on. I rigged my red North Zeta 4.5 and plugged it into my trusty Tiga 254. I went zooming out into the bay to meet my destiny: my first forward loop, landed clean with feet in the straps. Bam! Yeehaw!

I met something else that day, something I have never spoken of. You see, when I got back to the cobbled beach, there sat a small wrinkly man, sort of a leprechaun you might say. He winked at me and motioned me over to his driftwood perch where he spoke these words, “young windsurfer, you are pure and full of stoke and you have done a great thing, overcoming your fear and landing your first forward loop. for this I want to gift you this…” and with that he presented me with the magnificent GOLDEN HELMET.

He said a bunch of other things about honour and looking after it yadda yadda I can’t recall.. but what happened next is, I went out to sail some more, forgetting to strap it on- and it flew off and sank. End of story. Or so I thought. You see, last week I met the strange little man on the beach once again. And he had the golden helmet!
“Sweet dude, you found my helmet!” I exclaimed.

“Not so fast,” he smiled and winked, ”I just spent 16 years searching for this helmet and things have changed. Stoke is low. Noobs keep talking about how they will one day try a loop but they don’t follow through. This, in an age when Google and Youtube practically guide you the whole damn way. Yes I will return the helmet to you, but it is not yours to truly own. You see, your responsibility as keeper of the GOLDEN HELMET is to award it to one who is noble and worthy, one who shows they can sack/ovary up and land... their first forward loop. Forthwith, it becomes the responsibility of that sailor to determine who next shall be deemed helmetworthy, and then pass it along . and so on and so on blah de blah. Thusly, in this manner, the chain of stoke will continue in perpetuity.“ ..and with that, he disappeared in a puff of funny smelling smoke.

So that is my tale and this is my burden – to award THE GOLDEN HELMET to a brand new looper. In the sad case of no new loopers, I suppose it could go to ‘sickest trick’ or ‘most savage bail’, as witnessed by me or as gossiped by the peanut gallery on the beach on any given day (this way, guys that already loop can also share in the fun).
BUT if you want it, you have to earn it. And then pay it forward. This is how legends are made.

are you helmetworthy? 8)
JL

Post by JL »

Plastic fantastic 8) I just powerwashed my 257 ... No moss & no more stickers :shock:
Thermals are good.
terrapin

Post by terrapin »

Now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight... :P
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I should stop drinking right about now if I want that helmet tomorrow. Or maybe I should keep drinking? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Don't forget to bring a towel!
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

With no one left to award the coveted Gold Helmet - Cam (Terrapin) and I agreed co-sharing was the right outcome.

Sitting in the shorebreak early on in the light wind we both realized neither had looped, so we both set out to try some catapults we had seen in those "how-to" vids so we were ready when things picked up - and they did. Rest of the session we compared splats and ejections and kept each other amped and going for it!

Both of us landed our first rotations to waterstart out; Cam with a forward loop and myself cheese rolling it.

Epic day, who's next?

Amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it and have RD as inspiration!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

sorry i had to leave before the helmet ceremony, just when the girl with golden body paint showed up too. :lol: looks like you guys might have to pass the helmet back and forth a few times, whoever gets the best result. hopefully it comes down to pistol!! :lol:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Worst part is the chin chafe from having to wear a helmet all day. Ouch!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

so who is the keeper of the helmet? i was leaning towards Cam, but i had to go. :lol: its ok if you guys co-win -as long as someone took it off the stump. :P
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

Nice work boys, another pair puts their purses down and pulls the trigger. Pressure is on now Moo.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

the helmet awaits..
Image :twisted:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I've got it. It's our new centerpiece on our dining room table.
Randy

Hold On 'Moo

Post by Randy »

I've got almost 1000 pics to upload. I'm sure there are some gold worthy action shots in there. I'll try to get the raw shots up tomorrow.
GWIND

Stars

Post by GWIND »

Good work Moo and Cam. I knew U could do it. Now the backloop !

Joostio- we need some golden helmet stickers for new and old loopers,
Badges of honor. :idea:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
terrapin

Post by terrapin »

I agree--I'd pay top dollar for a 'Badge of Honour'!
eastside

Post by eastside »

Great job Nanmoo and Terrapin. Maybe one day I will be worthy.