Finding wind/waves on the West side of Baja Peninsula...

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
terrapin

Finding wind/waves on the West side of Baja Peninsula...

Post by terrapin »

Hey Guys,

I'm heading down to La Ventana for a family (wind) vacation in a couple weeks. I've been down before and know what the conditions are like on the inside--consistent breeze right down the channel, with the odd chop to hop. We'll be renting gear out of Baja Joe's.

Here's the question: What's the likelihood of finding good wind and real swell on the other side of the peninsula? I know that Todos Santos gets some killer swell, but every time i've been there, the wind is pretty calm. If we were to pursue this concept I'd bring down my own gear because I'm sure Joe doesn't want his stuff leaving his area, and it's really not appropriate gear for riding waves anyway. I just don't know if it would be a waste of time/money/effort carrying the extra rig down.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i've spent a few days out on the west side and i never saw decent wind. i'm sure it gets windy, just not a reliable thermal. IMO tough call.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Hate to say it, but sounds like a good time/place to learn how to kite. :( :( :shock: :shock: Just go easy on the femur, we've seen enough of that for a few seasons.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

In my experience most windsurfers/kiters head to the west coast of Baja when the east coast clouds over and the wind dies. And then they wonder why there is no wind on the west coast!

For sure there is less wind on the west coast, but there are spots west of La Paz that have swell with wind. Just go when wind is expected and be prepared for a long drive on unpaved road and no creature comforts when you get there.
Windsurfish

You could Surf...

Post by Windsurfish »

The Conditions on the west coast are ideal for surf. Ideal. Get the surf guide for the baja. In non wind days, if you seek it, there are many great breaks. I spent two windless days at a point break ~ 1/2 hr north of Cabo, big, friendly, and saw 4 touristas as well as 3 Mexican surfers.
Other trips I went to Cerritos beach, which has powerful shore pound, but can be good as well. Never seen anyone out with wind gear over on WC, but it must happen. Try WS at Cabo Pulmo (east coast near the tip) either Barracus bay, or at CP itself. Much bigger swell, lighter winds, although it can howl as well.. I've sailed there with bigger gear in 6-8' waves. It can close out at times. Big pacific swell wraps around the Baja tip.....

Play safe! Have fun!
terrapin

Post by terrapin »

appreciate the feedback, guys. Sounds like i'll be sticking to windsurfing/learning to kite on the inside..and maybe get some surfing on the WC if the swell calls for it.

cheers
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Bring your rollerblades and Razor scooter too.
Don't forget to bring a towel!