Directions to Island Sailing Spots

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
Wavos Rancheros

Directions to Island Sailing Spots

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Happy Long Weekend All!

Is anyone out there interested in helping to build some FAQ sheets for the BWD site, for things of general interest? I know I'd like to see a sheet with road directions to every known sailing spot and launch on the island and elsewhere. I've been trying to search out exactly where Columbia Beach is, and it looks like I would have to go through reams of posts to find it.

It would be nice to have easy access to directions for any other spot I might be driving by, never knowing it was close, in the future!

I tried the link to the Waterose sight, which offers directions, but it seems to have met its limit for data and disallowed access to those pages.

I don't know if its possible, but would it be a good idea to create some sort of database that could allow anyone to post the pros or cons of any sailing or kiting issue, ie; gear, weather, sailing locations, etc. etc.
That way anyone checking out those issues could be informed by all of the forum friends, of all the good and bad things to consider, without having to glean the information out of hundreds of posts.

Thanks,

WD
JL

Post by JL »

Maybe we could add to 'waterose'...bwd/links scroll down under 'maps'.
Last edited by JL on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thermals are good.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Great idea

Post by bwd »

Hey Wavos Rancheros:

Great idea. It would be cool to have a way for users to upload decriptions, photos and maps of the different sailing sites and store this on a database. Let me talk to Russian Dood to see if he has any ideas. Alternatively, I could make a "Beach Guide" section in the forum and the different sites could be the sub categories. Then we could upload maps and comments there.

There is a link on the Island map and South Island map to the waterose site. If you click on the blue dots on the maps it takes you to Waterose with maps and descriptions.

dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
Wavos Rancheros

Beach Guide

Hey Dave,

It would be great for people to have a way to get us up close to all the different sailing spots, with pictures, some gritty directions, and maybe even some GPS coordinates. I find myself going around in circles on the waterose sight, not really finding any detail on roads, turnoffs, and anything that lets you know that you are exactly where you are supposed to be. Who knows how many SecRet spots might get divulged?! 8)

WR

P.S. Did you say nay to the paypal thing?
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

directions to Columbia

Post by tempy »

I live in Nanaimo and have never been to Columbia. How do you get there? I know Parksville / Qualicum fairly well.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

When I was going to Tugwell first time, Waterrose was invaluable for directions and the photo of the bridge just past the parking area. So I guess it varies depending on site. I could give GPS coords for most sites (take me an evening to put this together, and someone would need to check the ones I'm not familiar with).
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

:evil: Hey, suck an egg, I work with maps, GIS and GPS for a living, I was going to compare general BWD map locations with Windrose descriptions and view 1:20 topographic and cadastral maps and 1 m resolution georeferenced orthophotos in a GIS to get a UTM. I figure 9 times out of 10 I would be within 100 m of the right place in this situation if the description is halfway detailed. But its always better to know it personally. I'd post the orthophoto with my coords drawn on it to someone who had been there and could recognise it from the airphoto and tell me if it needed correction.

Post by Guest »

So, what you're saying is that if someone can give a good description of where a sailing spot is, and how to find it, you can zoom in on it on a map and render some GPS coordinates? Put the two together and just about any sailor/kiter could venture out to try new spots when the breezes blow!

BUt first you need people to pick out the launches from some airphoto's :?:

WR
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Columbia

Post by tempy »

The GPS stuff sounds cool, but what about some simple street names etc for those of us without a GPS unit?

Can someone tell me the directions to Columbia Beach, for example. Waterrose site doesn't give that kind of detail.

Thanks
bwd
Developer
Developer

Re: Columbia

Post by bwd »

tempy wrote:Can someone tell me the directions to Columbia Beach, for example. Waterrose site doesn't give that kind of detail. Thanks
Columbia - 5-10 mins north of Parksville. First right after you pass the bridge over French Creek. Turn right at big sign "Columbia Beach", turn right again at water, first parking lot on left.
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

WR - Yeah, except I can usually supply the air photo in near the right place (they aren't publically available for all of BC, including some areas around here for some strange reason). BTW anyone can get access to Greater Victoria area maps/orthophotos at
http://www.crd.bc.ca/es/natatlas/
and BC topographic (shorelines, placenames, buildings, creeks, contours, etc) and cadastral (lot boundaries - e.g., shows the right-of-way beach access at Gordons) maps and orthophotos at
http://maps.gov.bc.ca/
and choose "online cadastre" side tab. A neat feature of this site is the "find location" tab then select "place name" to find any named place in BC.

You can also use this site to tell someone the exact lat/long or UTM coordinates of any spot you can pick out on the map/photo.
Wavos Rancheros

Cadastered

Ok I'm going to try it....never done any cadastering before :lol:

Here's the direct link to the cadastre tool for anyone else:

http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/sgb/IMF/index.html

WR
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Last edited by UnusuallyLargeRobin on Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
chewy

Post by chewy »

Dude, you can't be serious? I agree with not posting surf sights as they are easy enough to get anyway. But windsurfing sites? It's not like we are all fighting for the same wave and the kooks, like myself, don't get in the way. I commend the comraderie in windsurfing, it is a healthy change to the surfing idiots. After moving back here from San Diego I sold all my surf boards and bought windsurf gear. Much nicer not to deal with the punks who think they own the beach/waves yet can barely surf. Nice not have to get in "aggro" mode before going out on the water.
To all the windsurfers who have helped out with my constant questions, thanks.

Sorry just my two cents,couldn't help it

cheers
Wavos Rancheros

SW of Gordon's Beach

OK, so I used the cadaster tool and I think I located the launch to the South West of Gordon's Beach, which is also called Tugwell Creek I believe. It is located on West Coast Rd., which is the extension of the highway that runs through Sooke from Victoria. On the GPS I show it at
48 22.8103N and 123 54.2467 W

Parking is a little tight, using the shoulder of the highway facing East, and there can be a small to medium shore break varying between seasons and the shape of the gravel/stone beach. Sheringham Pt. lighthouse is the nearest wind gauge, which is monitored on the latest reports link of this website, along with a webcam. Usually, sailors head out when they see it building in the early afternoon, NW or WNW, and it needs to hit 20+ for the sails to start rigging. Kiters show up earlier, and have a good long session!

WR