Kiteboard fins - where to buy single hole fins?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Clive W

Kiteboard fins - where to buy single hole fins?

Post by Clive W »

Hi. I'm actually a surf kayaker in Victoria, and I need 4 fins for my kayak, and they're a fairly specific type that are hard to find - but apparently some kiteboards use the exact same type of fins.

They're single hole/stud fins (ie, only uses one screw) with 2 little knobs that hold it straight. The idea being that if the fin gets torqued, the little knobs break and the fin will swivel on the single stud, rather than the whole thing tearing a hole in the deck.

Where can I buy these fins? I've had absolutely no luck finding them in Victoria.

Here's an example:
http://www.fins4sale.com/product.php?id_product=15

I've tried contacting this website but no one responds... I'm not super eager sending money to a site that doesn't return e-mails or post a phone number...

Are there any kiteboarders who use a similar type of fin - and have been able to buy these fins locally? What about on the mainland?
BoosterTheRooster

Post by BoosterTheRooster »

Have you tried the Ocean Rodeo Outlet Store near Uptown mall? I got 4 of those exact fins there last fall. Good luck!
Clive W

Post by Clive W »

Never heard of them until now. Thanks for the lead! I'll investigate.

I gave up and ordered from the manufacturer in Italy a couple of days ago - so it's a little late this time, but hopefully Ocean Rodeo can hook me up in the future.

Cheers!
Clive W

Post by Clive W »

Strange - Ocean Rodeo can't help me out. They say their fins are for Futures fix boxes (http://www.thepitsurfshop.com/wp-conten ... urebox.gif) which are very different of course. The outlet store said they don't have anything like what I'm looking for.

Any other leads out there?
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

http://store.oceanrodeo.com/Twin-Tip-Fin_p_65.html
Those are the ones. They (and most quality kiteboard fins with 1 screw i've seen) are fiberglass with 3 holes, and its a little grub screw that makes the knobs, so I doubt they would break away the way you're looking for.

These guys would be my suggestion (haven't dealt with them, but the reviews i've seen are all good):
https://www.fins4sale.com/
Clive W

Post by Clive W »

Ah - brilliant. I'm sure the grub screws will work, or I can fashion some nylon ones that will break away. I will drop by the Ocean Rodeo outlet store and check them out.

Regarding fins4sale..

I have tried to contact the fins4sale site by e-mail twice with no reply. There's no phone number on their site. Judging by this interaction, my guess is that they wrote all the customer reviews themselves! I'd really like to deal with them but hey... I'm not feeling the love.

Thanks for the info guys.
Clive W

Post by Clive W »

BTW Ocean Rodeo says those fins only have two holes.

Bizarre! The saga continues..
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i bought fins from the fins4sale site but that was probably 4 years ago. not sure whats up with the site these days. their cheapo plastic fins are not real nice though and ive been looking out for better ones.. you see them on ebay now and then , try searching for wake fins as well as kite fins.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Blue Motion Fins --Gordon Hall 250- 754-3422 I think his user name on here is BMF.