School me on flatwater SUPS

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
KC7777

School me on flatwater SUPS

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Sold the 10'x34" SB Whopper last year, kept the 8'10"x31" Fanatic AllWave for wave SUPing.

Living at Cultus Lake in winter and will be at Hornby lots in summer.

So I have been contemplating getting a flatwater SUP, mainly for a bit of touring around Hornby and for exercise at Cultus.....and maybe a recreational race or two (ie the Alberni AC/DC).

PS - Touring on the Whopper sucked.

Some Tour/Race SUPs I checked out this weekend in the Gorge were:

Amundson TR-X Carbon 14' x 27.5"

Amundson TR-X Wood/Carbon 12'6" x 29"

Amundson TR-2 Rhino-Lite 12'6" x 29"

Starboard All Star 14 'x 26"

Specific flatwater questions....(me, 175 lbs, very good looking...)

1. 12'6" or 14' length (Big Winds says I won't regret a 14')

2. Width? (I don't like falling in, have decent balance, but am not hollow boned).

3. Carbon or wood or High resistance version? (I don't need the best but I don't want to upgrade later (the 14' Admunson carbon was about a $300 - $400 upgrade from the 12'6" Wood)?

Anything else I should consider re flatwaters? Any of you pros out there want to sell me something that is not over my head?

Thx

Keith
Last edited by KC7777 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

If you can, demo at least 4 boards before making your buying decision.

At your height, I wouldn't rule out the 12'6" over a 14' but the 14' will have the better glide.

As an all round board, consider the 14' SIc Bullet V2 (not version 1 - except for pure downwinder).

In my experience try to get something with a sunken deck to lower the centre of gravity a little.

I just ordered a custom carbon board from King's Paddle Sports in California. For me I was able to get a board shaped to my height, weight, ability, and for the conditions I will be paddling in. For $2595 all carbon, custom, and made in California, versus a carbon Starboard, SIC, Amundson, etc....are all made at the same Thailand factory and I pay hundreds more. That factory is arguably the best in the world but still a SUP "factory" overseas.

You will notice the performance difference between the carbon and wood \ epoxy construction. You will also need to be much more fragile with the carbon boards.

Other tips...
Buy a good paddle!
Come to a few races, they're fun and have good door prizes.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

1. 12'6" or 14' length
longer is generally faster. but measure where you might need to store it. i can't fit a 14' in my garage!

2. Width?
re-read what BWD wrote in the same thread last year.
http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6711
in my opinion, if you are not going to race, don't bother with a skinny board. you'll catch more bumps from a stable platform.

3. Carbon or wood version?
carbon is lighter, so easier to load on the truck. otherwise doesn't matter. imo 8)

flat water sups are lots of fun. i've got a 12'6 x 26 Allstar myself, looking forward to the acdc and the fun island races.
i think bwd has a 14' sup for sale. killer deal
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... P_21645798
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

downwind dave wrote:i think bwd has a 14' sup for sale. killer deal
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified- ... P_21645798
Um, that's not mine, but it's a great deal on a good all round board.
KC7777 wrote:1. 12'6" or 14' length (Big Winds says I won't regret a 14')
Didn't we go through this already :wink: Get a 12-6 for easier transport and storage, unless you want the extra speed/glide from a 14. A 12-6 will be a big step up from any surf style board for touring around. The newer Starboards are narrower but more stable then ever. I have a 2014 12-6x25.5 All Star and it feels too wide for me. It handles rough water really well and it's fast, it could easily be 24.5 wide. The 26.5 width would be great for you. The touring boards are also good if you aren't planning on racing. Like others have said you really need to try them first.
KC7777

new SUP

Post by KC7777 »

Decided to go a bit lower end. Went for the "Rhino-lite" construction and not carbon....this version only 3.5 lbs heavier.....easier to lose that in fat than spend an extra $800. Plus this will get used lots at Hornby...lots of rocks.

12'6" x 29", Amundson TR-2...pd $1300 CDN for last years (2013 version) at Western Kayak in Abbotsford. They have one more left at this price if interested?

Decent deal in Canada as same SUP is $1399US at Big Winds or $1299US at Gorge Performance in Portland.

The 12'6" TR features a deep V displacement bow that smoothly knifes through oncoming chop, allowing the board to ride smoothly through even the roughest water. Moving aft, the deep V transitions into flatter sections which get the board up onto a plane quickly and efficiently and offers control while surfing down a swell. Added volume in the nose keeps the 12'6" TR riding high while the inverted V-shaped foredeck funnels the water off the board. The cockpit is slightly recessed to provide a lower center of gravity and more comfortable standing area. A flat bottom shape underfoot extends all the way out to the boxy rails -- one of the keys to this board's uncanny stability.

Info here:

http://www.amundsonsup.com/amundson-126-tr-2/
Attachments
SUP photo 3.jpg
SUP photo 3.jpg (176.49 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
SUP photo 2.jpg
SUP photo 2.jpg (161.55 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
SUP photo 1.jpg
SUP photo 1.jpg (195.64 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
Last edited by KC7777 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

badass! can you sail that? it looks like a rocket.
will you hit up the alberni DW june 14?!
8)
btw you totally match Sandy's yellow board :lol:
KC7777

12'6" Admundson

Post by KC7777 »

Hey Dave,

Ya it also has the single screw hole for a windsurf base....should be a ripper in light winds, tons o' glide with a sail.

Unfortunately, I am teaching a course on the Sat/Sun of the Alberni DW....if not I would be there.

Yellow will be good for visibility.....at the back of the pack where I would likely be.

I am gonna add a bungee system at the front for holding gear and do a tour around Hornby Island this summer.

K
Last edited by KC7777 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GWIND

Super sport

Post by GWIND »

KC. All you really need for that ship is a BBQ and a fishing pole. Mmmmmm

Edit: Me never been on an SUP so if I was in the down winder I would be just
Behind you Keith !
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

You should call it the HMS Nabob ...
I wish my TOW was longer!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

I think that is yacht or ship enough to be called 'she'. But I'm surprised she didn't tell you to lose that lowest photo, because it makes her ass look really fat! :lol:
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

says the guy with the giant board covered in flowers! :lol:
KC7777

New SUP

Post by KC7777 »

So

I took the new SUP up to Cultus Lake tonight for her maiden voyage, pretty breezy (10?) and a few small waves.

The 12'6" Amdundson is very very stable. Slightly recessed deck that curves gently up at the sides means you can really control the board with your feet. Really goes relative to a wave SUP (for reference I SUP'ed my 8'10" Fanatic AllWave tonight too....just to feel the difference....)

I went upwind for approx. 15 min then headed downwind....can see benefit of downwinders on a long board.

All in all, pretty darn happy for $1,300.

Keith
KC7777

SUP

Post by KC7777 »

Hmmm.....

I have had many hours on my Admunson 12'6" flatwater SUP now. Lots of 1 - 2 hour SUPs on flatwater at Cultus, Harrison and Hornby.

For anyone who has been SUPing flatwater on short, rockered wave SUPs...stop it.

Today I got to try it in rough conditions.....as today there were 3' - 4' glassy waves in front of my parents place after the SE died down. The bay is deep and the waves don't really break until they hit shore, kind of like open ocean swell. They have always looked like waves that could be ridden but I always found them hard to catch, even on my old Whopper.

Went out on the 12'6, it was super stable in rough water (I fell once)....just would paddle out into the middle of the bay, hang out in the swell, then wait for a big one and turn and paddle and voila, SUP surfing in on the swell. So easy.

Damn my shoulders are sore now.

Keith
Last edited by KC7777 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KC7777

SUP

Post by KC7777 »

oh yeah....

I just put a "KC 7777" sticker on it. haha

The world is right again.
Attachments
photo7.JPG
photo7.JPG (156.14 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Last edited by KC7777 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

you could just put a 150 hp outboard on that, need some scotty downriggers to go with it ....cuz they are boats.....and then it might actually plane :idea: 12 foot six.... :!: 14 feet :?: you guys are on crack
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....