Clew-View Boom Mount

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Clew-View Boom Mount

Post by Tsawwassen »

Hey guys thought I should start a thread to answer some of your questions.
Thanks for all your comments on the videos! :D
The new mount has really inspired me to make some more videos. I was getting bored with the helmet cam for sure.
Winddoc, I was using the Hero 2 on 1080 30fps wide. I edited it Premiere Pro CC 2014 which now has presets to get rid of the fisheye look. Check out this link from Adobe. https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/ho ... video.html The video "Reduce camera shake and fix lens distortion" shows you how to do it. I didn't reduce the camera shake though. It does take time to render about 2 hours for the 6 minute movie.

I bought it here... http://wind-nc.enstore.com/item/clew-view-boom-mount

Here are the videos again..

[Vimeo]http://vimeo.com/112668751[/Vimeo]

[Vimeo]http://vimeo.com/112935842[/Vimeo]
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

good stuff, got me thinking about getting a little cam "for my kid" for xmas.. :lol:
hey i think i saw you dodge a couple good loop ramps!
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Thanks for the info, Michael! Footage looks great!
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

downwind dave wrote:hey i think i saw you dodge a couple good loop ramps!
:lol: :lol: Well after a few more sessions I was hoping to have some video of me throwing down but not yet! :( I'm working on it though! So hopefully soon.

I do have another video though this was not a great day but I did get a few nice moves in. Check out the jibe at 1:10. You can't really get the sensation from the video but I went into the jibe normally but wanted to see if I could plane out of it switch and see how long I could keep going. I ended up getting one of the best sensations I've ever felt from windsurfing. :o It was like surfing, the sail is almost weightless in my hands and I'm standing right over the centre of the board controlling the board with my feet. I was able to get one turn in then I went out over the top of the wave. I tried to do it again later but wasn't able to get the same set up. Also at 2:30 I discover duck Jibes are possible with the clue view!

[Vimeo]http://vimeo.com/113364749[/Vimeo]
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Love the chest harness. Reminds me of when I started in the early 80s. ;-)
Nice video!
Why aren't YOU out there?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Tsawwassen wrote: ...ended up getting one of the best sensations I've ever felt from windsurfing. :o It was like surfing, the sail is almost weightless in my hands and I'm standing right over the centre of the board controlling the board with my feet. I was able to get one turn in then I went out over the top of the wave. I tried to do it again later but wasn't able to get the same set up. Also at 2:30 I discover duck Jibes are possible with the clue view!
huge milestone, isn't it :?: people who just continue to sail at lakes and don't hit the coast wave spots or at least the Gorge on big days will never get to this :? I can only encourage those on the fence :!: and don't use age as a convenient argument, it's not about strength or stamina tho that does play a role, it's about adventure and those sensations and many of us are happy to bring and coach you along :idea:
Nice duck :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
gorge_r_and_d

Post by gorge_r_and_d »

lookin good ... loved those sails!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

huge milestone, isn't it Question
That's for sure Markus, those trips to the coast, even if only for a few days like last year change everything! Especially cause you get to sail with you boys from the Island! :D
gorge_r_and_d wrote:lookin good ... loved those sails!

Thanks Caleb, those sails ROCK!! Seriously I just love em. Adding that 211 carbon boom to the rig just puts it over the top!
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

You can get some nice clew-view stills as well. This one was just a frame grab from a session at the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 10.14.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 10.14.03 PM.png (1006.29 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Tsawwassen wrote:You can get some nice clew-view stills as well. This one was just a frame grab from a session at the Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal.
nice That's one serious repair on that quad. Too bad about the starboard, maybe will get you into an upgrade shortly, right? 8) :?
Wish less, sail more!!

Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Too bad about the starboard
You should have seen my leg! :shock:
maybe will get you into an upgrade shortly, right?
I'll have to wait for my wife to get over her shock from that boom I just got. :D
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Common rookie error...."what's that dear? Oh that ol thing, yeah it's held up pretty good, I've had that for years...no, what I do need for Christmas tho is a new board...see that starboard relic? I really need to replace that... I'm sure you agree it's now probably unsafe to use..."
Wish less, sail more!!

winddude

Post by winddude »

You can also use the helmet mount and tighten the straps around the boom arms, which was what Andy from Wind-NC showed me years ago, but the mount is probably better.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Hey, this is good timing for CHristmas. Finally something that I don't really need but covet that isn't ridiculously expensive I can tell my kids about....
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Common rookie error....
:lol:
winddude wrote:You can also use the helmet mount and tighten the straps around the boom arms, which was what Andy from Wind-NC showed me years ago, but the mount is probably better.
I tried that and it doesn't work that well, as the camera sits too high up and too close to the sail. I also tried using the handle bar mounts but that isn't great either. There are a few home made Clew Views on the web but I figured for the money it was better just to buy one. For me it was about getting the best footage possible from the camera, that I had already invested good money into, and wasn't getting much use. Now I'm having tons of fun with it again.:D