"glove box" for windsurfing, boom or mast bag?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tbrown

"glove box" for windsurfing, boom or mast bag?

Post by tbrown »

Anyone got or seen a solution for taking a bit of gear out with you while windsurfing? Maybe a water bottle and a bit of food, or ? I've got a pocket in the "life jacket" I use, but it wouldn't hold much water (does hold a phone though). There are days when I'd rather not go back in to the beach. (The big formula board being a contributing factor.) -Tom
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

kiters have this figured out, just wear cargo shorts over the wetsuit.
for hydration, maybe integrated into a helmet?
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

downwind dave wrote:kiters have this figured out, just wear cargo shorts over the wetsuit.
for hydration, maybe integrated into a helmet?
Nice pic Dave! That might get a little top heavy though :?:

Try this..... http://www.silentsports.com/Kiteboardin ... k/WA21025/
winddude

Post by winddude »

ditto on the camel-back, used to use it training on formula and IMCO.

You probably also have room for a solar panel, apartment stove, and turkey. Just duct-tape them down and hand out sandwiches to the rest of us.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
winddude

Post by winddude »

or get your hands on one of these, and you can cook inside.
Image[/url]
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Thanks guys. I did think camelback when I wrote the initial post. A small one might work under the floatation vest. With gatorade it might suffice on its own. The idea of cargo shorts outside the wetsuit is a very good one. Thanks! -Tom
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

I wonder if an anchored float just off the beach or somewhere on the water in your location could serve as a crash pad and a food stash. That way, you wouldn't be sailing with all that stuff on you making you heavy (especially water) and not so nimble and quick. I have a similar situation where I sail here and I'm considering building a small, say 4'x4', float and anchoring it just out from the reef I navigate to hit the water. I just want a place to park the board and rest but a small plastic cooler bolted to the float could hold water and food and stuff that might be nice to have along. Maybe a bit of hot tea this for time of year.
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

IMHO, the dock idea has merit if it would be out of the wave action (and preferably out of the strongest wind if it is supposed to be a rest/crash pad). I'd probably borrow a dingy or blow-up raft unless I had a chunk of dock "floating around".

Back when I was first sailing a heavy O'Brien, I was looking for a small anchor so I could setup a temporary bouy off the beach so I didn't have to carry the board in every time I stopped.

Oh, and I also remember being driven nuts by the constant reports of 15-20 knots at Kelp reef and nothing on the shore... thinking that anchoring a dock out at Kelp Reef and running out there in a boat was looking attractive. That might have been a summer pattern, wind over on the San Juan's ... but nothing here. Unfortunately, while I can get my hands on a smaller zodiac, iI think it would be a bit small for carrying windsurf gear (maybe ok for transport, NOT fun for rigging). I have no idea if that wind extended to Darcy Island.

Still, a small bag with a little food and a thermos in it attached to some "stickies" on the board (behind the mast?) would make a rest stop on an offshore island beach much nicer. (I'm thinking about the sticky pads used for gopro mounts.) ... Will likely find a solution somewhere between that and the cargo shorts and camelback. :)

-Tom