Tofino thursday

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Tofino thursday

Post by redbaron »

Just looking at the forecast out there: North Chestermans might be good!

West Coast Vancouver Island South.
Thursday..Wind southeast 30 to 40 knots becoming northwest 25 to 35
in the afternoon.
Friday..Wind northwest 20 to 30 knots becoming southeast 25 to 35
late in the day.
Saturday..Wind southeast 25 to 35 knots becoming southwest 25.

And the Model shows SSE-S 25-30 for Thursdays
Plus low tide@ 1:40pm (4.7')
swell: 4.5'-6.5' @ 13-14sec @ 245*-260*
Temp: 11*C

Might be worth checking out :P
Brass Munkey

Post by Brass Munkey »

Give r!!!
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Won't be able to make it this time.. :(
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Shit, Friday and Saturday too! Pictures.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Well that never worked out the way I planned. This spot has way to finicky of a criteria. I wasted another good CB day in hopes to ride glassy lefts.
Lennard Is was reading SE which in reality looks like this:

There was plenty of wind along the sand bar down to zero wind down the beach.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Don't know til you go. Thanks for the info Baron. Maybe SW on Sunday at S. Chestermans?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I dunno, I still like the looks of that direction, it's not any more offshore than the the West part of Southy on a NW. But I guess I don't have any first hand experience trying it yet. Seems a floaty board is the ticket.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Hopefully a true SW Sunday then both sides will work :P

The wind did shift around 8-9 last night. Just a few hours late :(

Definitely a larger section completely offshore at north than south. Maybe we should clear cut the point :shock: to allow better wind to where the waves curves.
I know completely offshore wave riding is possible, but a point break and bigger waves would make it easier to learn on rather than a beach break with steep fast breaking rights and lefts.
On a day like that, aside from challenging the redbull conditions at LB or SC, I would just borrow a short board and try to catch some barrels
:P Or get a skim board and try some epic down winders into the shallow surf :lol: Or if you are really hard up for wind, I did check in at Grice Bay and it looked good to go for flat water blasting with Tofino airport reading 20-30kn SE(flood tide would be ideal)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

redbaron wrote:....Maybe we should clear cut the point :shock: to allow better wind to where the waves curves.
I know completely offshore wave riding is possible, but a point break and bigger waves would make it easier to learn on rather than a beach break with steep fast breaking rights and lefts.
On a day like that, aside from challenging the redbull conditions at LB or SC, I would just borrow a short board and try to catch some barrels
:P Or get a skim board and try some epic down winders into the shallow surf :lol: Or if you are really hard up for wind, I did check in at Grice Bay and it looked good to go for flat water blasting with Tofino airport reading 20-30kn SE(flood tide would be ideal)
...or perhaps...milk cannot be obtained from an old.....or dead? cow :? There's got to be a better spot for a SE on the west coast :!:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

redbaron wrote:
I think this may be the key to it ... if the conditions aren't right for the primary sport, then do the back-up. I hate thinking of some of the fantastic surf days I have missed while grovelling in crap wind while the surf is going off. The optimal is take the blinders off and pursue whatever's best on that day. (and I am speaking for my own kite-brain by the way, no insult intended)

Or get on a kite and chase the wind in a different way! Seems some days are better for one than the other. Buy more gear, support the economy! :lol: :wink: 8)
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"
A time to surf, a time to kite, a time to SUP, even a time to windsurf.
Brass Munkey

Post by Brass Munkey »

I went blasting around Grice Bay a couple times last fall,as the SE came in. A little gusty, but the flat water option was great. Same goes for over by rainbow bridge on the Kennedy in a SE, or the provincial park boat launch in a NW. The gusts evened out as the wind comes over the lake.

What about for learning at Macenzie beach in a SE? They SUP out of there now.

And on of these days I'm gonna score a session in Ahous Bay on Vargas. I can feel it.
eastside

Post by eastside »

S. Chestermans looks big, dumping and messy on the webcam. And I wouldn't want to end up in Cox Bay. :shock: Happy to be couch surfing right now.
redbaron
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by redbaron »

Ya SC was nuts.(18'@10sec)
I checked out Mackenzie Beach and the surf looked good, then the wind came in probably 4.0 completely onshore, but do-able. reminded me of a big SE day at willows with better waves.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Big cajones Red Baron. Unfortunately "traumatizing" doesn't sound like much fun. You did return unscathed, though the Fokker biplane may have a few holes in it.