November trip - Big Island, Hawaii?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

November trip - Big Island, Hawaii?

Post by tempy »

I want to take Mrs Tempy away for a week at the end of November. It needs to be somewhere she can sail. She didn't enjoy Kanaha (at that time of year, so Maui is out.

What about the Big Island? Does anyone have any experience / info about sailing there? Conditions/ rental etc? Also where is the best place to stay?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Some preliminary research indicates the Big Island is a bust, but that Oahu has some good spots - some mellow spots for Mrs Tempy. Any thoughts on Oahu?

Thanks
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Big Island not good for the Mrs Tempy (or anyone mostly).

On Oahu - Kailua Bay is great (lots of thievery so watch valuables as anywhere, but especially Oahu). Giant bay, nice winds, typically 5 knots less than Maui, easy place. Naish Hawaii in Kailua for sailing and SUP rentals. Area around there and Kaneohe are great SUP areas also.
We windsurf - life must be good!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Thanks!
winddude

Post by winddude »

Pretty much peak season in Brazil. Icaraizinho has a great flat water lagoon at lowtide for the wife, and great ramps for jumping at high tide.

I think November is also the start of the season for most of the Caribbean spots.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Kihei is about as friendly as it gets...

Outer banks of NC maybe? DR?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
winddude

Post by winddude »

nanmoo wrote:Outer banks of NC maybe?
Outer banks is nice, I was there in spring... but there's also this, http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/14/us/nc-shark-attacks/, and I've heard they do come into the waterway
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
otisdadog

Post by otisdadog »

I've sailed the outerbanks that time of year and it was awesome. Great place to learn, stays really shallow however if you want a great place to learn Bonaire is fantastic, nice shallow sandy bottom.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

why not get her out a whole bunch of Nitinaht days then she will enjoy Kanaha. Inside of uppers is pretty darn tame, what's not to like? just get her to gybe before the break :idea: and also before weird wave I guess :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Caribbean is too far for 1 week. She wants warm, so NC is likely out. Kus, she had a bad weird wave experience where it was gusting 15 - 35 knots - so it is time for a change, at least to start. Bonaire would be ideal, but it is a 2 day trip to get there.

Thanks for all the advice, though.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i was going to toss mexico (Ventana) out there but aren't you going to San carlos in october?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I heard/read that NC is actually still boardshorts warm at that time of year?!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
MDCustom

places to stay in Hawai'i

Post by MDCustom »

If you are going to O'ahu, look at vacation rentals. We stayed in a nice place in Kailua that was close to Lanakai Beach and Kaneohe Bay. Plenty of good beaches that aren't full of tourists.

The Island of Hawai'i (a.k.a. the Big Island) is pretty much rocky cliffs and really bad currents on the windward (East) side of the Island from the North (Kohala) to the South (South Point). Hilo has a nice bay but it gets 12 FEET of rain a year. Stick to the drier leeward side.

Whichever island you choose, look at vacation rentals for your stay. VRBO.com has been our best friend for finding great accommodation.
firstonlastoff

Post by firstonlastoff »

Research Kuai. I have heard stories that there might be potential, maybe not for beginners though.

Research Corpus Christi. Inside, and then Gulf Side.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

In my experience Kauai is not a place for beginners. It did have the best and most friendly people I've come across in the islands I've visited. But windsurfing - not really. Some nice surf learner spots, great scenery and excellent hikes, good, cheap golf, and a couple sweet expert sailing breaks. Oh and awesome ice-cream served by a stunning looking ... oops, sorry, family trip. :oops:
We windsurf - life must be good!