Strongest Multi Fin Box (vs impacts)?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
stokeometer

Strongest Multi Fin Box (vs impacts)?

Post by stokeometer »

Hey guys,

Unfortunately I totaled my spankin' new Kode 82 on a submerged log last Sunday at Jericho. Destroyed both the slot boxes, and have already got a date lined up with Rob Mulder to get my baby under the knife and fixed up.

I talked to one of our team guys who also destroyed his Slot Boxes on a reef, and got them replaced with short US Boxes. I'm now thinking I should probably do the same with my board, cause if I get new Slot Boxes put in and I total it again on a log/rock/reef/stump/etc, I'm going to be pissed!!

Thoughts?

Kus, I heard from C36 that you took that old Goya through some abuse on the CB rock reef and it held up like a champ.

I also finished off my quiver by hitting another log with my beater JP 92l at Ambleside on Tuesday... my homemade thruster is now sitting right below my back footstrap (inside the board). This is why we can't have nice things :roll:

Cheers,
Adrien
"I loop therefore I am"
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

What team? How do I join?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Strongest Multi Fin Box (vs impacts)?

Post by KUS »

stokeometer wrote:Kus, I heard from C36 that you took that old Goya through some abuse on the CB rock reef and it held up like a champ.

I also finished off my quiver by hitting another log with my beater JP 92l at Ambleside on Tuesday... my homemade thruster is now sitting right below my back footstrap (inside the board). This is why we can't have nice things :roll:
I did? :?: what "old Goya"? bummer about your boards, try an insurance claim?
Anyway perhaps this is just an omen for you to get away from JP and esp. Starboard ... :roll: also I highly recommend Murray Finworks of Piper's Lagoon as a new up and coming key board garage/body works performer :idea: it's tough to get a berth tho

What team? :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Yeah, I can also vouch for Murray skill with cloth and resin! He did a superb repair job on the nose of my Goya.
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

WSF going to try source some affordable mini-tuttle boxes when he is in Europe next. Seem durable...ie I haven't heard of any blowouts from strikes yet. Anyone?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

DavidM wrote:WSF going to try source some affordable mini-tuttle boxes when he is in Europe next. Seem durable...ie I haven't heard of any blowouts from strikes yet. Anyone?
yep, Jellyfish found a Chelonioidea once at good speed, cracked the internal portion of the twinzer (quad) box as well as some of the surrounding bottom deck (not sure about the other deck, poor thing, interestingly they eat a wide variety of plant and animal life, including insects, crustaceans, seagrasses and worms but some feed almost exclusively on jellyfish :lol: ) could not be repaired/sealed and required re/re :x Poor Quadrella #1, no different than any other box I am afraid.

I cracked a main power box and was able to seal the area around the crack and reinforced with stainless U without requiring removal, still a lot of work :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
DavidM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DavidM »

Alternative is buckling the board. Done that on 3 boards with deep tuttle boxes.
stokeometer

Post by stokeometer »

I've decided I'm getting US boxes put in instead of Slot Boxes.. if anyone wants to buy my Makani Walu 2 Weed 15cm (Slot Box), let me know.

It's a top secret team, guys, I've already said too much.
"I loop therefore I am"
HiyoSilver

Post by HiyoSilver »

Seems like US boxes handle impact pretty good. Ran into the rocks last couple sessions and all that was damaged was the copper nut that sit in the slot (ripped the thread out)...
Ran into a branch a few years back, stopped me dead in my tracks. Broke my boom but no damage whatsoever to my fin or US box :!:

These were the main boxes though... not sure if that makes a difference.
JL

Post by JL »

I used to use sacrificial nuts on the U.S. boxes ... The center was plastic, the theory being the nut would break loose before your fin pushed through the rear of the box. I also would have the fins well forward so the friction as a bumped fin moved aft would resist box damage :idea:
Thermals are good.
Windsurfish

Break away nuts

Post by Windsurfish »

I had a selection of boards for a while that had chopped holes in the back from fins that "broke" the plastic nuts. Were they once yours? :). Seriously, the best solution to not breaking fins is to not hit anything. At 50 Kmh, not much will survive a direct impact. I think that's why they came up with the idea of seat belts? I think regular Power boxes are probably the best, given the number of direct hits I've had over the last 10 yrs with them. I've trashed one full Tuttle, cracked 3 older A boxes in various ways and now a new series FCS. NO DESIGN IS PERFECT..... :)
JL

Post by JL »

I once tore the fin box out of a Tiga plastic board. I had THB ( Tom V.) glass in a tuttle box. It lasted forever. I still remember driving down a swell @ I.V. & discovering the 'kelp' was a horizontal dead head. :?nSimilar: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFg1MTI=/ ... -H/$_1.JPG
Thermals are good.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

bummer! pics please :lol:
i'd really be tempted to re-use the slotboxes if they are not cracked, just set them back in with lots of reinforcement. that's a lot of $$$ switching to different fins and nothing is going to survive a log encounter. hopefully you got the Makani fins cyber-week deal email?
anyway, too late now but let us know how it goes and if Rob finds anything funny inside your Kode. :D
stokeometer

Post by stokeometer »

Powerboxes are definitely the strongest, sadly they don't use them/make them for multi fin boards...

2 summers ago I hit a stump in knee deep water in Squamish going mac-10 with my JP FSW. Hyperextended the crap out of my back (felt it for over a year after the crash) and was convinced the impact was hard enough to have split my board in two, but alas, the great JP lived on! My DIY thruster conversions were holding up great until my latest log encounter...

Downwind Dave, both the slot boxes are cracked internally so the originals have to go. I get a bit of industry lovin' through work from the Makani crew, so a new set of fins doesn't hurt quite as bad 8)

After some more thoughts and conversations on the matter, going ahead with the US-box conversion. Getting 8" US boxes from Chinook, and the board goes in with Rob in about a week or so.
Attachments
RIP
RIP
brokenkode.jpg (844.13 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
"I loop therefore I am"
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Where do you work Bru!?!?
Don't forget to bring a towel!