Beginner...Needing LESSONS!!!

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Pinster

Beginner...Needing LESSONS!!!

Post by Pinster »

Hi There....

I live in Nanaimo, BC and I am interested in windsurfing lessons. I am brand new to this but would love to learn! Just wondering if anyone has any leads on people/schools that give lessons. I don't have any of my own equipment yet either.

Thanks Everyone :)
Lindsay
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

don't bother struggling to learn the sport of windsurfing...

go kite boarding first!!!

contact Strong Kiteboarding or Elevation at Nitinat Lake.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

:roll:
Why aren't YOU out there?
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

abetanzo wrote:don't bother struggling to learn the sport of windsurfing...

I disagree here. Windsurfing is very fun, and provides a totally different sensation. I windsurfed before kiting.

You want to speak to KUS or maybe Winddude
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Beginner...Needing LESSONS!!!

Post by KUS »

Pinster wrote:Hi There....

I live in Nanaimo, BC and I am interested in windsurfing lessons. I am brand new to this but would love to learn! Just wondering if anyone has any leads on people/schools that give lessons. I don't have any of my own equipment yet either.

Lindsay
suggest to visit Piper's Lagoon for getting to know some locals in the next few days, they were out there today. Someone there might be of assistance or get you on your way a bit more. I understand Parksville Windsurfing is not active right now but may be again. I have some beginner/used gear for sale in French Creek if interested or can provide new as well.....I am happy to provide pointers. Nitinat Lake is perfect right now for learning and I would suggest you try that as well.....lots of helping hands up there too usually on weekends :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Abetanzo is a jokester, there is some ongoing "friendly" banter between kiters and windsurfers on this site. But he does raise a point: kiting has become increasingly popular, the ratio of kiter to windsurfer these days may be as high as 10 to 1 depending on the spot. There are 2 kite schools at nitinat and 1 in port alberni, so it's easily done if you want to try that. It sounds like no windsurf lessons on Vancouver Island -- at least nothing organized as a business. You'll have to get a beginner rig and DIY it, with tips from those around to lend a hand.

They still do windsurf lessons at Jericho Sailing Centre in Vancouver....Windsure. If you're over there, may be a good bet.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Does anyone know if stu in Comox still teaches windsurfing lessons/has camps?

Windsure is great, with an awesome selection of beginner and intermediate gear, and has been around for decades. I worked for them for many years. If you're in the victoria area, I have begginer gear and can give you a 3 hour private intro lesson for the same rate as windsure's group rate, $85. I do have a day job, so let me know well in advance so we can make a time work.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

Let us know when you do this Windude. We'd like to go kite around you.
curses - foiled again!
CTK

Post by CTK »

thankgodiatepastafobreaky wrote:Let us know when you do this Windude. We'd like to go kite around you.
LOL! just awsome
winddude

Post by winddude »

thankgodiatepastafobreaky wrote:Let us know when you do this Windude. We'd like to go kite around you.
Other than I'm smart and considerate enough not to run a windsurfing lesson where people are actively kiting and have been kiting for 25+ years. Knowing that it would put my student at risk, annoy other water users, and as the instructor I would ultimately be responsible for my student.
Must ... Sail... More...
CTK

Post by CTK »

winddude wrote:
Other than I'm smart and considerate enough not to run a windsurfing lesson where people are actively kiting and have been kiting for 25+ years. Knowing that it would put my student at risk, annoy other water users, and as the instructor I would ultimately be responsible for my student.
But not smart and considerate enough to avoid a student that isn't your own. :roll:
winddude

Post by winddude »

CTK wrote:
winddude wrote:
But not smart and considerate enough to avoid a student that isn't your own. :roll:
Im sorry, do you work for a kite school, did you directly see what happened, or directly involved? If so Ill gladly discuss it in person or via pm if you wish.

Lets stop with the thread hijacking please.
Must ... Sail... More...
winddude

Re: Beginner...Needing LESSONS!!!

Post by winddude »

Pinster wrote:Hi There....

Lindsay
Lindsay, sorry for all the side posts. Hope you find someone to teach you. Windsurfing is simply awesome!!!
Must ... Sail... More...
CTK

Post by CTK »

winddude wrote:
CTK wrote:
winddude wrote:
Im sorry, do you work for a kite school, did you directly see what happened, or directly involved? If so Ill gladly discuss it in person or via pm if you wish.

Lets stop with the thread hijacking please.
No I wasn't directly involved but heard the whole story, other people's views on the subject, and your general deminour towards others on this site.

I have also had a personal run in with you at jordan river a long time ago where you were very inconsiderate, uncooperative and drove over my kite lines after being asked to avoid politely.

I do not believe you are fit to be teaching anyone as you have gone out of your way to put people's lives at risk on the water when it could have been easily avoided. If you do have all this experience and knowledge on the water you would easily avoid a potential situation on the water and give beginners and students regardless of craft right of way.

As it stands right now there will always be some situations where kiters and windsurfers will cross paths on the water or landing at the lake as you guys are in the downwind position. The ratio on the lake is Aprox. 1 windsurfer to 10 kiters and as the years pass this ratio will become even greater.
winddude

Post by winddude »

CTK, I did not drive over your lines in the parking lot, but let's take this off the public message board, I sent you a PM.
Must ... Sail... More...