Kiting lesson review?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Tyvealive

Kiting lesson review?

Post by Tyvealive »

Hey everyone, I'm just looking into getting some kiting lessons within the next few weeks and it looks like there's a new gig in Port Alberni.

Wondered if anyone had reviews on this place that they could pm me?

Really excited to switch over from windsurfing, and PA is only 40mins away instead of the 3.5 hours to Nat.

Many thanks,
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

I can't speak for the new school, but we have great reviews here for Strong Kiteboarding at Nitinat lake! We are the only IKO certified school in western Canada and all of our instructors are fully trained IKO Instructors! https://www.ikointl.com/IKO-Kite-School ... ine=canada
It has been over 20kn here for a week straight and looks like another week coming! Another 50 mins past China Creek for the best wind on the island!
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

I just finished my lessons with Greg of El Norte adventures. He teaches at Nimpkish, he teaches from a zodiac. He has good equipment and I learned fast. Good luck. Enjoy the nazel flushing that is enevitable as you learn. I recommend sun glasses as you spend a lot of time looking straight up at the kite/sun.
Sandy Beach

Girlonaboard Kiteschool teaching daily at China Creek

Post by Sandy Beach »

Hi Ty,
Connect with Nicole of Girlonaboard kiteschool who teaches kiteboarding at China Creek with Jetski support. We were there yesterday with great winds and four kiters and one windsurfer out....Not crowded beach launch and hardly any traffic on the water. Ideal conditions for learning and only 7 minutes on the logging road from PtAlberni. Definately, a great alternative to Nitinat for lessons and riding in wide open spaces.
The camping is pretty sweet too, with flush toilets, hot showers and easier to get to with less wear and tear on the vehicle. There's a growing wind community scene happening there:)
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
girlonaboard

Girl On A Board Kite School China Creek

Post by girlonaboard »

Hi Ty

A quality school is important and we are lucky to have so many good options on Vancouver Island. Our school was established in 2014 (I owned a different school previous to that for 2 years). We are located in La Ventana Baja California Sur October to May and in China Creek May to August.

We abide by the highest safety standards of teaching and are fortunate to have enough beach space here for quality ground lessons, which really help you to learn faster. We do not use trainer kites as it creates bad habits and takes up valuable lesson time. If you go to our website you will see a detailed description of our lesson plans. We go as slow or as fast as the student learns.

We use cabrinha switchblade kites that we buy new every season, crazy fly boards, vega harness's, bbtalkin 2 way radio helmets, and we have two seadoo spark jet skis.

We offer post lesson options to help you keep practicing as well we carry our own line of kite rashguards.

Please check out our instagram and facebook at girlonaboard1.

Our mission is to empower through sport
EL_NORTE

Post by EL_NORTE »

Hey Ty,

I think you can't go wrong with any of the schools on the island! I'm based out of Comox but take students up to the North Island.

Thanks for the review Joost!

Greg

El Norte Adventures
AC

Post by AC »

Marty from Strongkiteboarding
Has had a successful time this year teaching people how to foil.
And many thanks again to Graham, Roberto,
And the rest of the strongkiteboarding
Crew for doing a great job at teaching so many how to kiteboard.
I also love the fact that the students
Have a family at the lake afterwards.

Good job guys 👍
wjlavery

Post by wjlavery »

I had a great experience with Sea to Sky Kiteboarding in Squamish a few weeks ago. http://www.seatoskykiteboarding.com/

I was a total beginner and we went from total basics (safety, rigging, etc) all the way to actually getting up on a board in a few hours. They use a zodiac support boat.