Kalaloch

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Kalaloch

Post by juandesooka »

Curious if any of the VI folks have successfully kited Kalaloch. This is the only stretch of hwy101 west that goes along the coast, south of Forks/La Push. Roughly 15km of sandy beach from Ruby Beach to the south campground.

It would be a great downwinder location. But does it get windy on its day?

I had a brief attempt yesterday at north campground. Unfortunately rigged my 12m, severely underpowered, would have been great on 17m but no time to re-rig. In driving down south, I think that's the first time I've been there when it wasn't foggy and had anything more than a seabreeze. Doesn't seem like people regularly chase it, though one guy on NW kiter FB has a cabin there and says he kites it.

There's camping there with ocean front view spots. And a lodge.

Anyone?
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

yeah looks wicked....there are the odd storms that come in but you gotta be Johnny... :?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

Been there from PA several times and done quite a few overnighters in area (it's under 2 hours from work to Lodge, 1.5 hours to first water.) Very iffy spot, need a BIG kite generally. Seems to be much better slightly further south at Ocean Shores or Westport, and a lot of daytrippers from Olympia and Tacoma around there.
We windsurf - life must be good!