looking for suitable novice locations to ride on the island

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Wynder

looking for suitable novice locations to ride on the island

Post by Wynder »

heya all, new to the forum and kite boarding. I recently bought a set up and want to get some more practice (water starts, upwind carving, etc.) in before hitting any popular spots.
I've read esquimalt lagoon and elk lake are decent. has anyone got info or experience for either locations?
cheers!
-Ian
JL

Post by JL »

Your best to go to http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Island_View over the winter or http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/San_Pareil if you are willing to head up Island. :P Just stick to the S.E. winds & avoid the West.
Thermals are good.
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Another safer option Is Rathtrevor beach which is side onshore in the SE and if you stay in Craig bay you'll always end up on the beach. Also Nanoose bay can be good if there is enough south in the wind to get rid of the shore bubble launch from Roland Rd. Super safe at the end of the bay!
Why aren't YOU out there?
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Nix the options of Elk Lake and Esquimalt Lagoon. Elk is way too gusty and shifty for kiting. Esquimalt Lagoon has gusty winds on W, but S or maybe SW could work but the lagoon is a bird sanctuary and some parts are no-go, and they strongly discourage any human water access anywhere. You'd probably have a Tilley-wearing posse waiting for you when you landed so they could thrash you with swinging binoculars. Not to mention the extreme coliform count in the water inside. The outside is a possibility on a S but its onshore and choppy. Better to save pennies and go to Baja or Corpus Christi etc. or be satisfied with the odd day at IV, Rathtrevor/Craig, Parksville/San Pariel etc. when its steady enough and strong enough but not too strong. Or wait till next spring and Nitinat, China Ck etc.
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

thanks for the info, guys! muchly appreciate the input. I will stay away from those 2 spots, definitely don't sound too suitable haha, I'm living in Vic currently so i was hoping there would be some closer spots to play around at but parksville, Craig bay/Rathtrevor and nanoose definitely could be sweet though, I'll keep my eyes on the look out for the right conditions.
Also what's the likelihood of finding other riders out there to launch/land with?
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Nanoose bay has a few who go there I've heard but I don't think any of those people would post if they were going. :roll: Some of my friends have taught newbies at Rathtrevor so not sure if there would be anyone there unless you arranged to meet before hand.
Why aren't YOU out there?