Search found 193 matches

by Geoffy
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:38 am
Forum: Kiteboarding Discussion
Topic: Trinidad and Tobago for the winter
Replies: 7
Views: 3403

Pigeon Point is your best bet by far then if you are novice with those size kites and prefer flat water. Windward side is never flat (but not large waves) and there are fewer options for guest houses/hotels there, unless you can spring for the Grand Magdalena! In which case you are staying right on ...
by Geoffy
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:39 pm
Topic: Trinidad and Tobago for the winter
Views: 3403

When I go home I usually bring 4.0 to 6.1 windsurf sails, so 6 to 12 m kites. Foil is ideal, will work for all breaks except maybe Boca which gets a fast and steep Hookipa-like wave in the years I've seen it go off. December winds can be good but very spotty, best seems to be February-June, better i...
by Geoffy
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:35 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Rigging area Pat Bay
Replies: 8
Views: 4842

Pat Bay is part of controlled airspace and although some folks may get away with it, proximity to 09/27's flight path and kiting on the active seaplane flight paths could get you a hefty fine if TC wants to be nasty or if there is a conflict. Not worth the hassle as conditions are not great but for ...
by Geoffy
Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 am
Topic: Washington
Views: 3336

Ediz Hook in PA has an active airport (CG and emergencies only), so they take a dim view of kites in their airspace, but decent winds for big gear. Windsurfer I met here last year had a breakdown and drifted onto their property, not allowed to walk out on the runway/road, and had to risk walk/swim o...
by Geoffy
Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:37 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Centennial Beach Jan 21 2018
Replies: 10
Views: 6664

Cool music - Cuban?
by Geoffy
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 am
Topic: Minor incident at Nitinat Aug 26th – feedback?
Replies: 31
Views: 12913

TonyT1000 - from your last post it appears that after three days of kite-school they had NOT completely explained right-of-way rules???? If this is so (kite-school people please weigh in here) this is a major f*%k-up and needs to be addressed. Would explain some of the conflict down in windsurfer-zo...
by Geoffy
Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:24 pm
Topic: Kalaloch
Replies: 3
Views: 2146

Been there from PA several times and done quite a few overnighters in area (it's under 2 hours from work to Lodge, 1.5 hours to first water.) Very iffy spot, need a BIG kite generally. Seems to be much better slightly further south at Ocean Shores or Westport, and a lot of daytrippers from Olympia a...
by Geoffy
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:27 pm
Topic: Bonaire? Rec a good place to stay or just go to Maui or ?
Views: 5115

Tobago

Yup - Tobago is super sweet. Great learner/big-gear wsurf/kite location at Pigeon Point (Bucco Reef) - which is why the big UK and German clinics are there every March. Radicalsportstobago.com. Awesome diving/snorkeling all up the Caribbean side of the Island, and for slightly more advanced divers, ...
by Geoffy
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:38 am
Topic: Bonaire? Rec a good place to stay or just go to Maui or ?
Views: 5115

For a dive/windsurf (beginner/int) Bonaire is likely a better bet than Maui during December. Water will be warmer (definitely) and clearer (most likely) for diving in Bonaire, and December winds should be 12-18 in Bonaire, fickle in Maui as you know. Cayman Is or Turks & Caicos may be other choi...
by Geoffy
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:59 pm
Topic: Shifting winds
Replies: 14
Views: 4640

Re: Shifting winds

Ok so I went out again yesterday cause the winds were stronger then then day before. Thinking it would be good I went out. I got the mast up and only sheeted in enough to get moving forward. Then the wind would send a gust in a different way and cause the sail to push back to me sending me swimming...
by Geoffy
Sat May 27, 2017 10:25 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Where to recycle carbon fiber?
Replies: 5
Views: 2595

Landfill - nearest place is in South Carolina and they don't take from consumers (unless you've got 15 tonnes of scrap booms!) Please do not burn under any circumstance. Unfortunate downside to our industry now that only 3 places worldwide recycle cured carbon composite (US, UK, France.)
by Geoffy
Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm
Topic: Windsurf foiling
Replies: 144
Views: 53852

DWD - others are saying that the board with windsurfing does have a significant difference. I seem to remember a discussion on the SF Bay foilers about board design impacting getting lift-off and stability in pitch. I'll see if I can find reference.
by Geoffy
Fri May 12, 2017 7:17 am
Topic: Windsurf foiling
Replies: 144
Views: 53852

Yeah - LP foils running 2K USD, but the real kicker is replacement cost of the broken bits after a reef ding or two! Still, RN knows his stuff and is a great marketer and product developer, so maybe not as painful a learning curve as we saw down at HR last year??
by Geoffy
Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am
Topic: Camper Rental Nitinat
Replies: 5
Views: 3634

Triangle RV in Sidney (5 minutes from airport) has Class C rentals. There is an exclusion for un-improved roads so you'll be at your own risk, but units are nice. There's a good car-wash just south of Duncan (Shell station I think) large enough for drive under in an RV to get the Nitinat dust off.
by Geoffy
Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:09 pm
Topic: Tri-fin Conversion
Replies: 70
Views: 23142

Actually the glass layer which typically went under the box and then spread flat onto surface was for vertical impacts on fins/mast bases. The glass layer ties the box to the surface laminate so that when hit, the box (even with hi-density foam surround) doesn't press downwards into soft EPS foam an...