Search found 101 matches

by HiyoSilver
Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:14 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: New windsurfer
Replies: 33
Views: 11877

If you guys come up to Columbia Beach, I don't mind to show your daughter some stuff... But safety might be a concern...? Maybe Nanoose Bay or Ladysmith would be a better option??
I'm in the Cowichan Valley, so don't go to Vic too often. Maybe KUS can help there?
by HiyoSilver
Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Topic: Strongest Multi Fin Box (vs impacts)?
Replies: 22
Views: 6679

Seems like US boxes handle impact pretty good. Ran into the rocks last couple sessions and all that was damaged was the copper nut that sit in the slot (ripped the thread out)... Ran into a branch a few years back, stopped me dead in my tracks. Broke my boom but no damage whatsoever to my fin or US ...
by HiyoSilver
Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:30 am
Topic: Strongest Multi Fin Box (vs impacts)?
Replies: 22
Views: 6679

Yeah, I can also vouch for Murray skill with cloth and resin! He did a superb repair job on the nose of my Goya.
by HiyoSilver
Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:04 pm
Topic: Tips on getting gear across the US border?
Replies: 13
Views: 5401

After some digging in the Canada Border Services Agency website I found <a href="http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2015/01-99/ch95-2015-eng.pdf" target="_blank">this document </a>, page 95-4: (tariff item) 9506.21.00 00 - -(Description of Goods) Sailboards - ...
by HiyoSilver
Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks! Some good tips her :)

Does anyone know what how much duty is on wsurf boards?
by HiyoSilver
Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks for the tbs link, Nanmoo! When re you visiting your family next? :wink:

It is a used board... Do you know what duties are on that? 9.5%?
by HiyoSilver
Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Tips on getting gear across the US border?

Looking at buying a board from Big Winds in Hood River, but obviously shipping into Canada is going to be expensive... So I'm wondering if the community has any tips to offer on getting gear across the border and onto Vancouver Island? And what are experiences of getting charged duty (how much?) and...
by HiyoSilver
Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:09 pm
Topic: Newb looking for advice
Replies: 8
Views: 3637

Some more good tips: http://boards.co.uk/how-to/boardwise-be ... guide.html

And I forgot - Kus is actually a local retailer/rep. His website is here http://advancedsafety.shawwebspace.ca/
He might be able to help you out!
by HiyoSilver
Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:59 pm
Topic: Newb looking for advice
Replies: 8
Views: 3637

Welcome! You live in Victoria? I hear Elk Lake is pretty good to start. There is some good info in the wiki http://www.bigwavedave.ca/wiki/index.php/Sailing_Guide As for beginner gear: make sure you board is big and stable enough and the sail doesn't have any cams in it. This nifty gear calculator h...
by HiyoSilver
Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:38 pm
Topic: Lightwind FSW volume?
Replies: 28
Views: 10407

Pretty good, :lol: You must have smoked some and transcended :?: ... and sailed the 115 freewave and 99 Carve more than I did :roll: ... I shoulda tried Moo's 85 ;) Here goes: 115 Freewave: tried it in light wind at N chestermans; lots of float, planes quick and very loose on the small waves 99 carv...
by HiyoSilver
Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:10 pm
Topic: Windsurf girl new to Island !! stoked! advice?
Replies: 26
Views: 9947

I won't be around this weekend, but I'll look for a sparkly helmet next time I sail in Gordos/Vic area! wish Carla 'beterschap' :)
by HiyoSilver
Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:48 am

Oh, btw, I'm looking forward to meeting Carla en Geoffy, too! - Ja, ik kom dus ook uit NL :) Where do you guys sail usually?
by HiyoSilver
Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Elk lake could work... it's only an hour away for me (I live near Duncan).
by HiyoSilver
Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Welkom, landgenote! Kijk ernaar uit je te ontmoeten op het strand :) Nitinat Lake is een prima plek om je windsurfen te verbeteren! Steady winds, safe and I've often seen it blow only 15 knots there, too. Haven't been there too often, though. I've only lived on the Island for a year and visited Niti...
by HiyoSilver
Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:59 pm

:lol: Thanks for deciding for me, Tony. I guess it would be best to just teach girls to balance things out :P But seriously, I would totally be willing to teach guys, too! And sure, if I'm already there, I would be willing to teach for less :) Just ask! I haven't really thought about rates etc. Just...