Search found 25 matches

by Gramma Jo
Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:49 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: vision correction surgery
Replies: 24
Views: 4838

Hi: Your -3 is / was likely easy to correct. A good decision for you, and one you'll enjoy the benefits from, particularly out on the water. Be sure to keep your receipt for income tax medical deduction. :) I wanted to share what a high myopic experienced years ago, not scare you off; as I am aware ...
by Gramma Jo
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:20 pm
Topic: vision correction surgery
Replies: 24
Views: 4838

Hi folks -- I had laser surgery done starting in 1994; had four procedures on one eye, two on the other over two years. At that time they removed the outer cornea cover with the laser, then zapped the cornea. I used antibiotic eye drops for a few days, and wore long term soft contacts (acts like a b...
by Gramma Jo
Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:50 pm
Topic: How we use the University of Washington Wind Model
Replies: 226
Views: 85479

Univ of Washington Wind Data

Hi -- I'm still out here watching from the sidelines. I use the wind data about once a week, and for those uses would be quite lost without it. For instance we took a friend to Vancouver this week. She suffers from travel ills. We had to pick the best, most calm day on the water. BWD.ca provided tha...
by Gramma Jo
Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:48 pm
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: Hawaii Superferry - done like dinner
Replies: 2
Views: 1211

Hawai'i

Hi -- Kailua on the central east coast of Oahu is a very nice spot to windsurf. Amazing beach -- Kailua Beach Park. You can rent windsurfers from a couple of places out there and actually right on the beach. You can take the bus from Waikiki across, cheap. Change rooms and washrooms too! Gramma Jo.
by Gramma Jo
Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:07 am
Forum: Special Events
Topic: Beginner Buggy
Replies: 7
Views: 2102

Start Board

Hi All, My Starboard Start rig is for sale at the bargain price of $750 for the whole works, ready to go. This includes a very nice mostly clear 5.0 sail. The sail sleeve is open weave which allows the water to run out when uphauling. A skinny light weight three piece mast and base, a boom with star...
by Gramma Jo
Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:39 am
Topic: WANTED - WINDSURF INSTRUCTION
Replies: 31
Views: 8881

Congratulations Jude ! :D Wishing you a wonderful lifetime together! Remember to walk-and-talk as often as possible. And my goodness what a wonderful honeymoon destination! Enjoy! :) -- Super info about Kevin's instruction. I hope I can get a chance this week to try once again. Gramma Jo (old enough...
by Gramma Jo
Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:58 pm
Topic: WANTED - WINDSURF INSTRUCTION
Replies: 31
Views: 8881

Hey Electra - Kevin in Parksville said he's instructing till next Sunday. :idea: Have you got a wet suit? Would you like to see if we can pick a day and take a joint lesson :?: I'll drag my Start board up somehow, and Kevin has nice new style narrower boards which you can rent. Bring your free board...
by Gramma Jo
Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:45 pm
Topic: Ladies' Windsurfer
Replies: 14
Views: 3639

No sorry, no board for sale yet. Mine's at least a 230 L Starboard Start Board - it's the biggest Start. I too think that something in the range 135 to 150 with a retractable centreboard would be good for me as the next board. Apparently that would float me okay for sail haul ups till I learn to wat...
by Gramma Jo
Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:21 am
Topic: Moving to Nanaimo
Replies: 9
Views: 3012

Hi Dan -- Kiting and windsurfing on Vancouver Island with a good warm wet suit (or drysuit) in winter is a virtual year round blast for the guys. Check out the photo galleries and note the dates the local pics were taken. It seems the best mid island wind is in the winter time. I'd definitely check ...
by Gramma Jo
Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:03 pm
Topic: Webcam appreciation thread
Views: 1854

webcam appreciation

Dave, I've written a thank you letter which I'll be sending to the webcam hosts and maintenance folk and you! I've included interesting quotes of appreciation I found in various webcam threads, and so I've taken the liberty to say it's from all members of this site. It'll go in Christmas cards today...
by Gramma Jo
Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:47 am
Topic: Webcam appreciation thread
Views: 1854

Webcam Hosts

Hi Dave, If you're able to pm me with names and addresses I'll send a Christmas card with thanks to them all. This wanna-be, but so far mostly vicarious windsurfer gets a big kick out of viewing all bwd's webcams. The new Island View view is terrific. :D Even better with sail-guys out yesterday. Gra...
by Gramma Jo
Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:11 pm
Topic: Travel Trivia
Replies: 26
Views: 5168

Travel Trivia

Okay, that settles it -- not been to Mexico and not going. :cry: Lots of other safe places to play. :) Have quite enjoyed the geometry stuff. Nice to know there's regular folk out there who can figure stuff like that out. Wishing for wind too :D Gramma Jo
by Gramma Jo
Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:55 am
Forum: News
Topic: BWD Site Fundraiser: KA Sails Auction
Replies: 52
Views: 14060

Surprise Prize

My goodness, this is fantastic -- I won a prize and something I can really use too!! I'm doing a happy dance today :) :D :lol: Congratulations to Keen and the others too. Thanx Kus for adding the fourth prize and Dave for working out how all this could happen. What Fun 8) and now I get to meet Kus t...
by Gramma Jo
Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:46 pm
Forum: News
Topic: New Pipers Lagoon Webcam
Replies: 17
Views: 15052

Piper's Webcam

Wow, the view is fantastic, awesome, West Coast! :D Thanks to all who made this happen, and to the folks whose home it is adorning. 8)
by Gramma Jo
Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:44 pm
Topic: Question for anyone online at the moment.
Replies: 9
Views: 2931

I went up to Parksville to check out this board with a broken part. (first query in this conversation) Remember I'm a beginner and don't know much about windsurfers yet, except my own, perhaps. :oops: The board is a Hi-Fly, white coloured board that looks and feels like dense styrofoam. It appears t...