Search found 136 matches

by smartang
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:54 pm
Forum: Wingfoiling Discussion
Topic: WingFoil Videos
Replies: 32
Views: 11592

Re: WingFoil Videos

Thick swells! Definitely 90+cm mast territory. Major contrast from the cleanest CB in my memory the same day. Looked like Malibu north of the parking lot.
by smartang
Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:15 am
Topic: New Wing Handles
Replies: 4
Views: 463

Re: New Wing Handles

Impressive stress test. Exactly what I was looking to do to attach my paddle to my Mode, but the thicker heavier N weave just doesn't pack down as nice as my old V1 strike. Must be a lot harder on with the track on the strut. Wing packdowns on the dw boards work best with 2.5-3m soft handle wings to...
by smartang
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:15 am
Topic: Wingfoiling Progression
Replies: 272
Views: 81494

Re: Wingfoiling Progression

Look for wings geared toward upwind performance at a sacrifice of low end. The newer the better. Pair that with a fast high volume board to reduce resistance on takeoffs and will let you ride smaller inflatable wings. And a high lift low drag foil set. None of this gear is really meant for beginners...
by smartang
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:36 am
Topic: Wing Gloves - Winter
Replies: 18
Views: 4218

Re: Wing Gloves - Winter

Slake, I use those ion palmless mitts for winging. I find they're great for the 6C+ range. A lot of keeping your hands warm is in prep/warmup, and keeping the back of your hand protected for winging. Bring warm water to the beach, chill your hands while setting up and then warm them before going out...
by smartang
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:00 am
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: Downwind foil with assist
Replies: 24
Views: 4813

Re: Downwind foil with assist

I find the lamination itself is the one of the more straight forward parts of the process. Even with the vacuum bagging prep, it's maybe 10% of the labor to build a board from scratch. And I'd have to guess PVC + Al has got to be fairly close wet lam carbon + eps in costs. Al doesn't allow for error...
by smartang
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:13 pm
Topic: Sproat Lake - where are the best places for wind?
Replies: 3
Views: 1391

Re: Sproat Lake - where are the best places for wind?

Yes, Dickson Park works. Fish and duck docks can be a better launch if they'll let you.
by smartang
Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:56 pm

I wonder how small of a pocket wing we could get away with if using a barracuda sup? Could be a life saver. Would also like a design that minimizes all those lines.

Hopefully someone comes up with plans so we can repurpose all those 15 year old kites.
by smartang
Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:44 am

If we had a gorge here we'd all be doing it already as well. Lake/inlet swells don't really have enough swell period on most days to let you glide. It'll be mostly a downwind pump, which is great training. I've found it difficult to make the transition from flat water paddle ups (which I can get 9/1...
by smartang
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:52 pm
Topic: Board and foil size vs my weight
Replies: 1
Views: 689

Re: Board and foil size vs my weight

It's not ideal, but possible with the right technique. The top guys can paddle up 5-600cm2 foils in the flats. Of course that's on a barracuda. They could easily paddle up that setup, but they already have the technique down. Weight is on your side since you won't have to be going any where near as ...
by smartang
Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:00 pm
Topic: Lost Board Cabrinha Code with Axis foil and Mast
Replies: 4
Views: 1105

Re: Lost Board Cabrinha Code with Axis foil and Mast

Second on the wing body drag. I'd recommend riding without a leash a few times on those summer trips to flatter conditions like Nitinat, China Creek etc. It works every time in places like that. Still works in swell, but with a higher heart rate.
by smartang
Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:08 pm
Topic: Front footstraps
Views: 914

Re: Front footstraps

The workaround is to get a sewing stitch ripper and remove the neoprene screw cover on the lower fanatic footstrap. All that's left is webbing. Overlap the two front fanatic straps and screw it down firm. Wait a day for the boards deck pad to compress, then re-tighten. Alternatively sand down (or cu...
by smartang
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:39 pm
Topic: Front footstraps
Views: 914

Re: Front footstraps

NSI are good for freeride, but not jumping. I use standard windsurf velcro straps double up by removing the neoprene from the lower strap. Never had a problem. Much more secure than the v straps and more foot range. I also remove the screw neoprene on my rear strap to butt my rear foot up against th...
by smartang
Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:48 am
Topic: Canada Day RB Drone Capture
Replies: 5
Views: 995

Re: Canada Day RB Drone Capture

Awesome swell you guys have down there. Slick rider, you need a faster foil.
by smartang
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:08 am
Topic: Stripped footstrap insert
Replies: 10
Views: 2004

Re: Stripped footstrap insert

I wouldn't trust a weed eater line with a 1225 and 93.5 mast whipping around on big wing airs. Imagine a front strap busting off mid front loop. That's a retirement air. I'd pick a different hole. Ideally running the footstrap longer. Still fill the stripped hole with epoxy though in case it's crack...