Search found 59 matches

by tbrown
Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:54 pm
Forum: Off-Topic
Topic: Roadkill - LOST TENT (road to nitinat)
Replies: 0
Views: 2954

Roadkill - LOST TENT (road to nitinat)

I lost a tent off the back of a motorbike, a couple km short of nitinat Saturday evening. It was a reasonably nice 2 person dome tent. Green. Worth some $$ to me. I went back to look for it and couldn't find it... so either someone picked it up, or it tumbled way off the road. Wasn't turned in at th...
by tbrown
Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:07 am
Forum: Windsurfing Discussion
Topic: New windsurfer
Replies: 33
Views: 11827

I copied some of Jesse's (RedBaron) notes into my files from this (good) "Westerly sailing spots for beginners thread: Elk lake is great for beginning wsurfing, I spent a bit a time there in the past. I found with a strong westerly, if kelp reef and vicairport are blowing west, Elk lake is good...
by tbrown
Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:00 pm
Topic: New windsurfer
Replies: 33
Views: 11827

Welcome!! We need more windsurfer(girl)s :) I can give lessons (have an instructor ticket) on your own gear. ... not to hijack someone else's thread, but assuming you're willing to teach guys too, IMHO it would be worth having an idea of who is willing to teach. There certainly have been times over...
by tbrown
Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:54 pm
Forum: The Rigging Area
Topic: "wastewater" discharge at clover point...
Replies: 3
Views: 1549

"wastewater" discharge at clover point...

https://www.crd.bc.ca/docs/default-source/water-pdf/08282015_psa_oakbaysewerdischargenotice.pdf?sfvrsn=0 Public Service Announcement For Immediate Release August 29, 2015 Clover Point Wastewater Discharge Notice Victoria, BC - Signs have been posted as a precautionary measure due to a wastewater di...
by tbrown
Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:05 pm
Topic: Windsurf girl new to Island !! stoked! advice?
Replies: 26
Views: 9920

Willows Beach ...

With the willows webcam back on-line, that is a destination worth considering. The summer westerly blows offshore there. Being both offshore and light and shifty on the beach, the westerly isn't a novice wind, but as you get offshore it both strengthens and steadies. I have lots of good memories of ...
by tbrown
Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:49 pm
Topic: Windsurf girl new to Island !! stoked! advice?
Replies: 26
Views: 9920

that's an interesting looking board. ... as was said above, there aren't many folks around here sailing big boards. Bobson and I get out on formula gear sometimes... more often in the winter on the lighter north winds. I've heard stories about other folks having the gear, but not seen many (any?) f...
by tbrown
Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:38 pm
Topic: Looking for Advice for a Beginner
Replies: 15
Views: 5210

The bolt comes from the base plate. It ain't going to be aluminum. The _only_ piece I'm talking about building is a longish flat plate that goes in the mast track that's already on the board. And yeah, try to make it reasonably thick so there is enough metal to hold a good thread. The normal nuts us...
by tbrown
Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:42 pm
Topic: Looking for Advice for a Beginner
Replies: 15
Views: 5210

WELCOME. If your mast track is like the old mistral ones I've seen, there are screws in the bottom of it holding it to the board. I'd expect you could undo those and pull the aluminum track out. At which point, inserting a plate like KUS discussed should be simple. In fact you can probably do it wit...
by tbrown
Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:52 pm
Topic: WTF and Used Sales Shaming
Replies: 98
Views: 45572

Re: here's another one

Can anyone tell me the reason for the tail on this board?? ... I'm curious too. I'm inclined to guess it is a "repair". that is: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Awesome-Windsurfing-Board_25710645 ... and here is the image: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usedphotosna/48324016...
by tbrown
Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:27 pm
Topic: watch out for this guy...
Replies: 2
Views: 1490

wow. 5.5 million views. Somehow I imagine that would be difficult to water start.
by tbrown
Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:21 pm
Forum: Cool Links Section
Topic: The Friends of Island View Beach
Replies: 20
Views: 11582

http://www.friendsofislandviewbeach.com/uploads/2/4/3/5/24351508/step_2_recommendations_for_improvement.pdf interesting read, and generally well written, but there is clearly slanting at work going both ways. From front page of friendsofislandviewbeach.com: Environmental conservation should be a sh...
by tbrown
Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 am
Topic: Lightwind FSW volume?
Replies: 28
Views: 10378

The gecko is a neat board, but it is isn't subtle. I bought Keith's 120L board, and am often at nitnat on weekends, if anyone wants to try it. AFAIK my yellow-green helmet is still pretty distinctive :) ... It definitely isn't new anymore, I've done a couple of repairs and busted the stock fin... ha...
by tbrown
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:05 pm
Forum: Support
Topic: Willows Web Cam
Replies: 13
Views: 8909

My apologies to Dave if I've given any offense. I complimented the images from willows recently, but did include "missing" in the post. (I'm not in the habit of denying reality.) I mentioned it in the flatwater thread as part of an explanation for having not been out on Baynes channel rece...
by tbrown
Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:36 am
Topic: windsurfing - flat water for gybing practice? (Victora)
Replies: 9
Views: 4189

Good point Jim. Much of my winter sailing last season was off of cattle point, and the current through Baynes often wipes out any waves. I remember thinking that completely flat water was sticky and a tiny bit slower. I just haven't been out that way recently with the willows camera being down. (And...
by tbrown
Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:10 pm
Topic: The Future of the BWD Website Depends on You
Replies: 297
Views: 117374

I hate to post webcam stuff in what is mostly a fundraising thread, but is there any chance of getting more of the hi-res cameras like the missing willows cam? I know dallas rd is zoomable etc, but compared to the crisp 1024x768 images from willows, most of the other cameras seem rather blurry. Yes,...