Search found 18 matches

by monicavi
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:35 am
Forum: Wingfoiling Discussion
Topic: DIY wingfoil harness?
Replies: 15
Views: 4961

Re: DIY wingfoil harness?

Except when you blow up at high speed hooked in. Your body drops well below the water while the wing stays at the surface. The higher hook should help with that, but it's still hard on the wing. My strike only made it 6 sessions before tearing the strut dacron.
by monicavi
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:45 pm

That'll work perfectly when in harness mode. But might get in the way paddling in/out. And the board leash might pull it down, which would be hard to get back up out there. Might want to go back to a wrist leash for the wing and calf for the board until you're certain the harness belt will stay up t...
by monicavi
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:08 pm

I made a diy out of 4" webbing, with overlapping 4" velcro stitched to it. Then stitched a 1.5" x 14" webbing with NSI wing ding hook across the front that allows the NSI hook to slide from side to side. Sits about at the bottom of my sternum. Loved it in the summer, pointless in...
by monicavi
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:37 am
Topic: How much Wind is needed to Wingfoil
Replies: 14
Views: 7316

Re: How much Wind is needed to Wingfoil

elt: I would have to guess you're on a windsurf foilboard or supfoil board with the mast further further back relative to your contact points (knees, or feet). So when kneeling or standing on a board in less than 6 knots the mast is constantly trying to point you downwind. The newer wingboard shapes...
by monicavi
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:37 am
Topic: How much Wind is needed to Wingfoil
Replies: 14
Views: 7316

Re: How much Wind is needed to Wingfoil

Is ultralight wind foiling your goal? If so you should focus your board and foil choices toward those conditions. With a narrow downwind sup like the kalama e3 6'6 and a wide high aspect foil you should be able to get going in ~6kn. I also like a 42" mast for extra hand wing clearance and longe...
by monicavi
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 pm
Topic: Wingfoiling Progression
Replies: 272
Views: 82532

Re: Wingfoiling Progression

*Sorry, you'd have to drill extra rear mast holes. I've just been thinking about drilling new front holes which is something I'm likely going to have to do when my W800 and W1000 finally get here.
by monicavi
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:36 pm

*without moving the mast bolts in the tracks, the mast will move whatever distance you drill the extra front holes.
by monicavi
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:33 pm

Moses shims are designed to fit negative. I flipped my 0.5 around and trimmed to fit giving 0.5 positive. Which really took the edge off my 950 at high speed or in waves. Don't go more than 0.5 positive though, or it will get pitchy. Shims will be the first thing to try. I think somebody logged that...
by monicavi
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:58 pm
Topic: Wing Board Travel Bag
Replies: 1
Views: 1706

Re: Wing Board Travel Bag

Armstrong makes heavy duty bags that fit quatro well. Check the zenlifestyles link on the home page for local stock. But you'll still want to add lots of cardboard and or Styrofoam around the board for flying. Quatro wing drifters are super light, relatively cheap and super fragile. So bring some re...
by monicavi
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:41 pm
Topic: Where to start?
Replies: 11
Views: 5361

Re: Where to start?

Only been kiting since 2017? Most of the guys replying are 20 year veterans of their sport looking for a new challenge that is easier on the middle age plus body. Depending on your age, and the condition of your knees and back you might want to keep kiting. Or do a couple years of kitefoiling, which...
by monicavi
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:14 pm

With the new HS700 fuse you probably want to be about 3-4cm from the back, so yeah, about middle. If it's really light (10 kn), then all the way forward. But it really all depends on where you want to put your front foot. And the conditions for the day, swell etc. With the 5m and 1100 you'll feel fu...
by monicavi
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Yes, Moses 1100 needs to be all the way back in a Quatro. Unless you have the new 700HS fuselage. I always use straps, and find the center of my front foot to the center of my mast needs to be about 22" in light winds ad 24" in high winds or swell with the old 710 (M6). For the Moses 950 I...
by monicavi
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:21 am

Once you get to a certain level size matters, weight matters, shape matters, foil section matters... Most of the guys who don't think weight matters seem to be coming from a windsurfing background. Kite foilers on the other hand are always trying to ride the smallest board and lightest foil. I have ...
by monicavi
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:55 am

Depends on the brand. My lift and moses foils are under 7lbs complete. There's weight, and there's swing weight. Carbon masts taper so the weight is closer to your foot than the foil a meter away. The real reason for carbon is shape and taper. They can make far more efficient carbon shapes with that...
by monicavi
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:15 am

A narrower stance is also better for pumping, kdmaui style. Light calf raises, high on foil. A super wide stance is a must for maxing out a foils top end in high wind and bigger waves (relative to your foil) on foil. Anybody having any luck tacking in nuking wind? I keep getting pulled backward in o...