life jackets

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Tactile

Post by Tactile »

I have one of the coast guard approved Bare life jackets. I use it all the time with a DaKine fusion seat harness. Doesn't bother me at all. As dorky as I may look, I wouldn't ride without it. I'd rather look like a dork than end up knocked out floating face down...
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Some scary stories there. I remember as a beginner having a hard catapault and ending up hooked in under the sail which had enough water in it I couldn't raise it to breath. Somewhat disoriented, it would have been easy to panic. Not a real prob, just pushed myself down and sideways. But the line twisted around the hook a la Kus is really nightmarish. My previous harnesses all had quick release flap buckles: My new Thermoform has a silly buckle system that requires jiggling and micro feeding of the webbing to loosen it enough that the buckle can get undone. No way you could do that holding your breath, or it would be touch and go at best. You'd be better off trying to slip the line off the harness in an emergency. A lifejacket would be no help in that situation, probably more of a hinderance.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I just picked this http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=mft up in red at the local Kayak store on Pembroke?/Govt on a whim. $139, extra $10 for GST, no PST for safety colors.

I had originally rejected the vest idea but for kiting (impact) I see the need (and being a 3xDad who needs to stick around for a while) and also at places like CB or other tough rescue, tidal current factor places like Gordon's where there isn't much boat traffic and room to get lost in. Don't think I would wear it at the Nat or Kook, Willows but sailing solo midweek is probably a good time for it.....and I plan to be doing a lot of THAT :twisted:

The fit is exceptional....and I am very picky about this stuff. I have to say just putting it on I can't see ANY sailing interference excepting perhaps with the added front bulkiness catching on the boom perhaps, that's stretching it. From an armhole :lol: perspective, absolutely NOT noticable I have it on. I will add the strobe for CB and a knife for kiting, cell/VHF for offshore adventuring or paddling.

Downside is if you land right, great, but upside-down your unconscious ass is still gonna drown, but it should certainly make rescue by a buddy a lot easier.

Will update after my first trial-run.
Last edited by KUS on Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia (Tribal) /Aztron

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
windsurf247

lifejackets

Post by windsurf247 »

I used to wear a lifejacket and a helmet but stopped wearing the jacket as it was a bit too restictive with my new harness. I figured if I had a helmet, the jacket was a bit redundant anyways. However, after reading over some of the other posts (jjjim), maybe I'll have to think about the jacket again. I too have had some pretty nasty wipeouts that knocked the wind out of me and they were total flukes. Ya just never know! Hmmmm...
AC

AC

Post by AC »

They do make this nice life vest for kyackers
they give you full mobility and are quite comfortable.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

how about a giant foam helmet that protects your head AND works as a flotation aid? it would obviously float you head up... hey i could be onto something here!

:D :D (ps. this is just for fun, nothing against helmets or Kus!)
Last edited by downwind dave on Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

yup, it would also apply traction if you have a neck injury, add a strip of reflective tape on top (in the shape of an "L" ?) and you're all set to be found by air :D Most excellent idea 8)
Wish less, sail more!!

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

More kokotat

Post by KUS »

see the latest "safety" wavelength http://www.wavelengthmagazine.com/2006/am06.pdf

on page 35 there is a piece on the Kokotat SeaO2 ‘hybrid inflatable’ life vest- "a PFD that incorporates the standard floatation foam that we’ve come to expect in PFDs, with an additional inflatable bladder hidden within the body of the vest. Only a small amount of the traditional floatation foam is used in the SeaO2, so it’s less bulky, but also provides far less floatation than a more traditional lifejacket. That all changes, though, when you pull the ‘jerk to inflate’ ripcord mounted on the front of the vest. The ripcord fires a CO2 cartridge (hence the clever name of the vest) that immediately inflates the hidden floatation bladder, so the inherent 7.5 lbs of buoyancy becomes a whopping 22.5 lbs!
An oral inflate/deflate tube is mounted on the front of the vest within easy reach of your mouth. This allows you to adjust the amount of floatation"

nice :!: and if you are conscious enough for even a sec to pull the rip cord, things are looking "head up" and floaty, may have to take mine back for THAT one.

Nice added artwork, DWD :D Where's the "L" :?: 8)
Wish less, sail more!!