Nitinaht Windfest 2006

Races, swaps, beer nights, clinics, etc.

Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

Hello BACK!!

Post by Bobson »

This is a pretty good choice for times. Anyone that really wants the extra crowds and fun stuff going on I'm sure will make it given the line up of events that can happen. The weekend before is the long weekend up here so most likely people that want to enjoy 'just Nitinat' will be there on the long weekend. I have from Aug. 3rd to the 14th off so I can hopefully take care of some event planning and staging while I'm up there.

I'll set up a 'have a beer and chat' night so we can see who wants to come out and have a beer and start some organizing with this event probably for Friday of next week. I'll confirm when I talk to some people and check my schedule. Probably a pub like the Monkey T or Birds of P somewhere accesible for most people.

If you have any suggestions for time, place, subjects, info then please speak up and reply with anything you have. This could be a tonne of fun especially if we have 'buy-in' from the community at Nitinat. :D
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Medivixen

Post by Medivixen »

We'd be interested in comming out to chat and offer our services to this event but I think you will find it difficult to hear me or take me seriously when I am wearing a giant green hat and drinking green beer while Irish music plays in the background. That is providing you meant "next friday" as in St.Patty's Day!!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

mmmmmm...Greeeeeen Beeer, jummeeeeeeeeie 8) 8) I love St. Patty's Day.....where's my kilt....no wait, it's leopard skin damsel gear this year....green leopard skin that is

Hey, how about Smuggler's, it's near da wata :wink: not to mention my place, ha :P
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
wyatt

Wired like event

Post by wyatt »

So Jude from the Indian band/ head of nitinat is going to meet with all the authority on april 10th and get back to me on if she has secured all the necessary permits and insurance. Hopefully all goes well and we are set to go.

later,
Wyatt
nitinaht_brat

Support from Ditidaht

Post by nitinaht_brat »

Both the Ministry responsible for the campsite and Ditidaht Band Council have expressed thier support for the competition! It's a go!
Medivixen

Post by Medivixen »

thats good. we are still interested in helping out so keep it posted.
thx
gnome

Post by gnome »

I'm happy to help out on race day - registering, sign-up, course boat, etc. Assuming it is a sunny weekend, of course! ~Naomi
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

WIRED

Post by Bobson »

Fantastic news!! I'm happy to see the offers of assistance.
As soon as rugby(BC Final this Saturday) is over I'll focus on this event and work on the organization and preparedness.

I'll set up a beer night in the next week or weekend and anyone that wants to be involved cand come join us for a beer.

I have a line on a boat that I might have access to but if anyone has anything that is theirs that we could use for dropping markers and using as a start finish line boat then please let me know. It only have to have room for 2-3 people and be bigger than a dingy and have a motor. If the village is really into this event then I'm sure they might have somehthing we will be able to use.

I'll post a date for beverages next week when I regain conciousness. :roll:
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
Q

Post by Q »

Wow, Wyatt Miller at Nitinat? A-w-e-s-o-m-e! Great guy. Star talent, and still totally down to earth. Wyatt, please, please, please agree to set aside time for one of your looping clinics in August!

Regards.........Jeff
Wyattmiller

Post by Wyattmiller »

Hey All,
Sounds like we have some good support for the event. Jude from the Indian Band said she was equiped with a boat and had good communication with the food venders so that is a good lead. ........
We can definetly do a looping clinic for all who are interested.

Later,
Wyatt
Wyattmiller

Event go ahead

Post by Wyattmiller »

Hey Everybody,

So Jude says that we have got the permits in order. Windsport says thay are announcing the event in the upcomming issue. I have Rob Warwick, Tyson Poor and Whit Poor all signed up to show as well as some other guest appearances. They and I are all into running clinics and demos throughout the weekened as well as helping with contests.
So to everyone who has been to one of these events, what else do we need? Do we charge people to enter as compedators? Anyone Know a good T-Shirt company or designer? Who can be there the day before to set up etc.

I will keep promoting it with the industry and look forward to hearing from everyone up there with the inside knowledge. I have never been there before so I would definetly like to talk to some one who knows which area of the lake would be best for competitions, how deep it is, and where the staging area needs to be and is it windy in the afternoon and calm in the morning or what?

Thanks for all your help and input,
Wyatt Miller
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

Thanks Wyatt,

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions:

Typically we set up the slalom racing down wind of the main beach (100m NE of the old boat ramp at the point, day use parking). It gets the coarse away from the general public and avoids conflicts with other sailers.

We've used the small point for the freestyle before and it seemed to work quite well.

For a formula coarse the downwind mark is typically set at the NE end of the lake. The windward mark is set in the bay SW of the Cayuse River. I can take Friday August 11 off to help set up the slalom and formula coarses.

We'll need a boat, marks and anchors, and a lot of rope. The lake is quite deep in places. (300ft?) If anyone has access to a boat please let us know.

The wind tends to come up at around 10:00 or 11:00AM that time of the year, peaks around 2:00 or 4:00PM and blows until around 6:00PM. I'll see if I can dig out a graph we generated from a months worth of data and send it to you. Wind speeds typically hit 18 to 25 knots in mid August. It's frequently dead calm in the morning and a good time to set the marks. The staging area could be put just about anywhere adjacent the campsite although the day use/point area has worked well before. There is a fair bit of gravel beach.

Steve
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

In case anyone doesn't know who Wyatt is...

http://www.continentseven.com/video72.php?moveid=127

or from Windoc'salbum.....

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displ ... 0016&pos=3

Wyatt and his buddy Rob were by far the best wind boarders that we saw last year in the Gorge. :twisted:
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

That link didn't work for me, but this one did

http://surfingsports.com/wyatt_miller_baja.asp

He is quite the sailor!
Wyattmiller

Post by Wyattmiller »

Hey Everybody,
I just talked to Eddy P. from Windsurfing and they are going to include our event in the July Issue. And thanks Steve for the local info, sounds like some of the logistics are already well understood. It will be great to have your help.