Nitinaht update!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yep, diff from last year, but I wonder if there isn't also a long-term trend to lighter wind. But maybe I just remember newbieness and being overpowered on a 5.0 no-twist speedsail when I didn't own anything smaller.
Vik

Post by Vik »

mortontoemike wrote:Is it just me or does Nitinat wind seem wimpy this year? I was there for 8 days ending yesterday and mostly sailed a 6.0. One day on a 5.5. The sun and fog were there but the wind seemed anemic compared to other years. Also, the wind was really only strong for an hour in the mid-afternoon with a little golden hour puff.
Last year I used:

- 6m kite 20%
- 8m kite 50%
- 10m kite 30%

This year I've used my 8m twice and should have been on the 10m both times and there were a number of times I wish I had a 12m/14m with me. My 6m is just collecting dust...

Much lighter than 2010.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Come on guys u just gota work it a bit or ride a c kite. :D
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

RookieRyan. You forgot to provide the url for your "ride a kite" comment. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g89NxTTycxc

"Let's go fly a kite, up to the ....." :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by mortontoemike on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I wish my TOW was longer!
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

Perfect!!!! Lol! :P
cguygo

Post by cguygo »

hope there is gonna be some good live music at the lake this weekend to get that song outta my head :shock:
Would kiteboarding exist without Mary P?
CrossOnShore

Post by CrossOnShore »

hi, has anybody taken Nanaimo River Rd? It looks "thick" on Google map, and I'm wondering if this would be a good alternative fro driving from Nanaimo. Is it paved? If not, how does it compare to roads around Lake Cowichan?
Nimai

Post by Nimai »

CrossOnshore - I think it stays paved for quite a while... I could be wrong though. It might be worth it to bring a 4x4, just in case. Then that way you know how much of it is paved, and you're prepared. I'm about to move to Nanaimo, so I'll be taking that route, too.
MartyD

Post by MartyD »

Everybody watch your stuff up there
Had 12 Heinekens stolen off a picnic table last sunday
Campsite was almost empty too...
Hope that yahoo has taken off...
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

CrossOnShore wrote:hi, has anybody taken Nanaimo River Rd? It looks "thick" on Google map, and I'm wondering if this would be a good alternative fro driving from Nanaimo. Is it paved? If not, how does it compare to roads around Lake Cowichan?
This question keeps coming up. Google should remove that road from their map. It is private land (Timber West), has gates, and is radio-controlled. If you do make it through a gate (e.g. by sneaking through after someone that has opened it) you may get locked in! You are also a road hazard since without a radio you will be "invisible" to the industry traffic. If you somehow get in there on a weekend and have a breakdown you are screwed, since there won't be anyone driving by and there is no cell coverage. This discussion is moot anyway, since it is probably faster and easier on your vehicle to either go through Port Alberni or Cowichan.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

MartyD wrote:Everybody watch your stuff up there
Had 12 Heinekens stolen off a picnic table last sunday
Campsite was almost empty too...
Hope that yahoo has taken off...
Beware of a drunk bear?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

~~~~~4j~~ wrote:
CrossOnShore wrote:hi, has anybody taken Nanaimo River Rd? It looks "thick" on Google map, and I'm wondering if this would be a good alternative fro driving from Nanaimo. Is it paved? If not, how does it compare to roads around Lake Cowichan?
This question keeps coming up. Google should remove that road from their map. It is private land (Timber West), has gates, and is radio-controlled. If you do make it through a gate (e.g. by sneaking through after someone that has opened it) you may get locked in! You are also a road hazard since without a radio you will be "invisible" to the industry traffic. If you somehow get in there on a weekend and have a breakdown you are screwed, since there won't be anyone driving by and there is no cell coverage. This discussion is moot anyway, since it is probably faster and easier on your vehicle to either go through Port Alberni or Cowichan.
oh and here I thought these two new guys had discovered a fourlane superhighway directly to Nitinaht Lake that all of us clowns had missed for all these years ....until just now :roll: bummer
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
Nimai

Post by Nimai »

KUS wrote: oh and here I thought these two new guys had discovered a fourlane superhighway directly to Nitinaht Lake that all of us clowns had missed for all these years ....until just now :roll: bummer
I was hoping that there might be a quicker route for us folks who live between Port and Vic :?. I don't think it would have made too much sense for you or anyone in Vic to take that route if it was available. Duncan would still be best...
eastside

Post by eastside »

I rode a mountain bike over that pass about 15 years ago. I remember it being steep at the top with a great downhill on the other side. Great trip and there are paved bits on the Nitinat side of the pass. It took all day to get to the Fish Hatchery. I wasn't in very good shape and I thought I had died when we arrived at our campsite. The loose gravel and slight incline going from the Hatchery towards Port Alberni was the killer. I would say you could do it in a quad but it would take way longer than the normal routes.
heffe222

Nitinaht Foot

Post by heffe222 »

Not a good idea to take a dip in Nitinaht Lake, barefoot, at night! Even after a great sauna. Otherwise had an excellent couple days over the Long Weekend, and was great to see many of the Nitinaht regulars there, too. Could be something left in the thermal realm this September?
Attachments
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 1791 times