How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

How often do you check the wind forecast

Never
1%
Once a week
10%
Once a day
43%
At least 3 times a day
39%
Constantly hitting refresh on my browser!
7%

Total votes: 235

KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

saulman wrote: to all you lurkers out there :shock:: please keep up the posting on how you or your friends use these prediction tables! I think they can only help the cause.
and donate the odd 5er to contribute to a common cause :!: or we will find u and disconnect your router :idea: :wink:
KrazyKat16

How I use the U of W's wind model

Post by KrazyKat16 »

I check wind forecasts 3 + times a day and take any opportunity to bring my 4 year old on my Hobie 16. I find such information extremely useful. I do not rely solely on a wind model for our safety but when it does reflect what Environment Canada shows, it is mostly right. When I can't corrolate the 2, I rarely bring my daughter, especially in the colder winter months. Please keep this service available to us.

Thanks in advance Neighbours!
If life gives you butter, spread it!
Q

Post by Q »

Hi Dave,

I check your site about once a week from spring thru fall. Keep up the great work!
jono

Post by jono »

I literally don't know what I would do without BWD wind reports!!! I love them! They are indispensable! And I know tonnes of people who agree. Please keep up the AWESONE work Dave!!! Thx HEAPS!
halona

Replying to request, to continue the wind forecasts

Post by halona »

I live aboard a sailboat and ply the Salish Sea.
I have learned to take the Environment Canada forecasts with the requisite tonne of salt, and use both bigwavedave and the wsu model site almost exclusively for real weather and wind information.
I thank you all for the great product and service - it has more than once caused us to make a decision towards safety over the info received via VHF radio or the EC website.
Please keep up the good work.
Al
TallShipThane

Wind Model Access

Post by TallShipThane »

We refer to the wind prediction models and webcams minimum of 3 times daily! To whom do direct the message so we don't lose access to this reliable resource . We sail daily out Victoria's Inner harbour . As a Transport Canada certified passenger carrying vessel we recognize this model to be the most reliable and depend on it for current data.
Attachments
4l.jpg
4l.jpg (64.09 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Yuppers ... once again the tables have served me up some amazing times at tofino which would have never come to fruition without these tables and bouy information which are all nicely and tidily set up on ONE site to assist me in my decisions. Truly indespensable resource....thank you

Dale Moffatt
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
dbanke

Post by dbanke »

I am a beginner paraglider and wind predictons have been very valueble to me. They have ssaved me hours of driving and wasting fuel and time. It has also had a safety beninfit as I am not tempted to practice if conditions beyond may ability. This is am excellent asset for Paragliders. Thank You
Murrelet

Post by Murrelet »

I'm a paragliding pilot as well, and this service saves me a ton of angst waiting for the right conditions (SE 15 or better yet SSE 15) and allows me to sort out my day. Couldn't do without it!
duckbill

yup

Post by duckbill »

yup, fossil fuels are being preserved, safety is enhanced and peoples outlooks are romanced. indespensable.
like a duck to water
Windsurfing Parksville

Post by Windsurfing Parksville »

Sorry Dave,

The over use of the site is probably my fault.

Myself and my staff use it daily and every new student I teach I direct them to your site.

Seriously though, the wind prediction part of your site is great and an important tool for scheduling lessons for beginners.
Lessons Daily From Parksville Beach Resort.

Windsurfing, SUP, And Kayak Rentals

Life's the Beach and the Wind is Free

Cheers,

Kevin 250-951-9873 250-927-2870
Kurt

Wind Model Data

Post by Kurt »

I use the wind model data posted on big wave dave as a simple tool to evaluate my wind sport options for the day. Without it, I would be very unhappy. Please help to ensure that this stays available on BigWaveDave :D
Sandy Beach

Re: Wind Model access

Post by Sandy Beach »

TallShipThane wrote:We refer to the wind prediction models and webcams minimum of 3 times daily! To whom do direct the message so we don't lose access to this reliable resource . We sail daily out Victoria's Inner harbour . As a Transport Canada certified passenger carrying vessel we recognize this model to be the most reliable and depend on it for current data.
Amazing feedback from people...keep it coming!

What a great photo seven responses back by TallShipThane. I want to be that girl holding on to the pink sail, what fun!! Plus, it appears they are warmer up there in the sun, then the bundled up crew on deck. Water, wind, and whitecaps rock!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
lassvegas

Post by lassvegas »

We use the wind model everyday. As we are always looking to find the wind and follow it with our kite gear in tow.
greatguin

Post by greatguin »

Doesn't it worry anyone that BC Ferries is relying on data controlled by a foreign entity? Data whose access could be revoked at any time! It says to me that it's time EC upgraded its model/data access to the 21st century, or at the very least some level of government should send some dollars to the U of W to guarantee access!

On another note, Dave, what about distributing your data collection? An app that collects a small portion of the data running on many computers, that then ship the data to you. I am sure you would have hundreds of volunteers willing to run a small app in return for your valuable forecasts. I know, another level of complexity and administration! Just a thought.