Question for anyone online at the moment.

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
JSmith

Question for anyone online at the moment.

Post by JSmith »

About to make a 3 hour drive to pick up a used beginner board needing repairs. Seller tells me where the mast extention attaches to the board has a brocken part. Next to or on the bendable piece. I thought there was just a whole on the board for the mast extention?

Anyone have a clue?

Jeremy.
New windsurfing guy trying to get started. Any friendly advice on anything windsurfing or otherwise, always welcome!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Ohh, red flags for me. If by the 'bendable part' it means the mast extension, that is no problem - or the mast base. Relatively cheap to buy replacements. But if its the track in the board there might be bad problems difficult or impossible to fix.

You don't say how old a board it is; old ones may not have any parts available. Older boards are WAY harder to learn on. Even if useable, people usually give these ones away for free.
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

Depends on the type of board. The old Mistral mast tracks and bases were a bit of a hassel. Simpliest to just cut out the old track and glue in with a chinook mast track. $40 bucks and about 3 hours work.
TomS

Driving for a cheap big board board

Post by TomS »

I suggest you find out what brand and model is involved.....other than that, find out the construction of the board. (polyethelene or epoxy fibreglass) Find out what kind of mast track or male/female socket is involved.
A lighter epoxy board might have a little better performance factor than a heavy polyethelene board and be worth your time to repair.

In an epoxy board....A couple of footstrap inserts can be drilled and tapped to mount a Chinook two bolt mastbase to the board.

Another method which is very crude......just screw the baseplate into the board itself. (the Elk lake rental fleet method) It will work for a while.
Every day of work takes 8 hours off your life.
Toner

Post by Toner »

I can bring a beginner board to Nitinat in the summer if someone needs one, old boards are allmost free it has one small broken fin, the older the more they brake. The kids play with it. The best boards are the Go Board, wide and short.
I still have a THB 9 foot for 50 dallars the fin is worth over 50.Tony 1250 741-0370
rip it up
Toner

Boards

Post by Toner »

Hi Jeremy, Yes we have lots of boards, try my number again, I didn't get your number.
Tony
rip it up
Gramma Jo

Post by Gramma Jo »

I went up to Parksville to check out this board with a broken part. (first query in this conversation) Remember I'm a beginner and don't know much about windsurfers yet, except my own, perhaps. :oops: The board is a Hi-Fly, white coloured board that looks and feels like dense styrofoam. It appears that the track in the board is broken - plastic looks cracked. It doesn't have a mast foot. It didn't have a tail fin, and so one was beautifully fashioned in wood! :o :roll: It is stored outside under the house eaves with the sail wrapped around the mast, which is one piece and fatter than my Start Board mast. There was a boom, but I didn't check that at all. The seller is advertising in this week's Buy, Sell and Trade, and is asking $100. Since I went to check it out, I just thought I'd pass on what I saw in case anyone has any interest. Where's summer? :) Gramma Jo
Just want to somehow play on the water with a sail.
Mattdog

Post by Mattdog »

Hey, if the mast track is broken I wouldnt touch it as you cannot replace those parts and it would cost more than $100 to fix. Who wants the headache.

Presonally I would pay 5 times as much for something more modern and all in working condition. Check out iwindsurf.com or the buy and sell on this site.
Signature Block.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

stand-up paddle that monster!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Thats about $100 too much for that board!