WANTED - WINDSURF INSTRUCTION

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
electra

WANTED - WINDSURF INSTRUCTION

Post by electra »

Baby Boomer was given a Curtis Hawk but needs lessons.
Any surfers in Nanaimo BC that offer lessons? Nearest sail area is Long Lake. Thanks
Iggy

Windsurfing Lesson

Post by Iggy »

If you're traveling to Victoria I'd be happy to give you a lesson in a warm fresh water lake! Guaranteed results. :lol:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Hi Electra,

If you don't mind extending the learning curve, you can certainly learn on a Curtis Hawk. However, you'll find it very tippy and the rig (if it is the stock rig) will feel unwieldy compared to the new gear for learning. I too often hear "Yeah, I tried windsurfing once, but it was really hard". This sentiment usually comes from people who've tried windsurfing on an ancient board like your CH. If possible, take a lesson on a modern, wide, stable board (something like a Starboard "Go" board with a smallish modern sail) and you will swim less, curse less, and sail more. Most importantly it will be fun! It's not unlike trying to learn downhill skiing with old, leather boots and stiff, dull 70's skis compared to the newer parabolic skis with high performance boots. Life's too short to put in frustrating hours on ancient, poorly performing stuff in my opinion. It should be fun! The sport of windsurfing has moved so far ahead of the Curtis Hawk days. There's never been a better time to learn windsurfing than now with advances in gear. Anyway, good luck with the lessons. You'll find the wind community very helpful at any of the beaches you'll be sailing at.
Poultry in motion
windsurf247

lessons

Post by windsurf247 »

I couldn't agree more. You'll only be frustrated trying to learn on old gear. Just because we all did it doesn't mean we enjoyed it :wink:

I used to do lessons in Victoria and had great results with the modern wide boards. Learn the basics on one of those and then play around with your older gear. You'll understand it better and like Wind Doc said, you'll be cursing a lot less :lol:

I think there's a guy in Parksville doing lessons down at the beach. He's on here sometimes - Windsurfing Parksville. I think they even have a club that meets on Thursday nights. Give him a call. I think that would be your best bet.
Good luck.
Rob

:D :D
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

What you seem to be missing is this gentleman already owns a Curtis Hawk which in spite of its age is a perfect board to learn on. Modern high tech rigs have very little feel and no visual input in light learner winds.
I regularily blow by modern Star Boards on my antiquated Mistral Superlight! :lol:
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Iggy,

Yes, I understand that Electra was already given the CH. She (he?) can certainly learn on it, but it is far from the perfect learning board. Electra, put the hours in on some new kit via an all inclusive lesson, then try the CH and see what we are talking about. Free kit is nice, but this is not great gear for learning unless you happen to be very athletic, positive and PATIENT. I'm only trying to save hours of frustration. I learned on the original Windsurfer and the extra "feel" you'd get from the sail was fine as long as it wasn't in the water; then it would become a giant, heavy anchor. Plus when the wind picked up, the same sail with good feel would just flog you and kick your ass. Whee! The original Windsurfer board, like the CH, was tippy and too unforgiving. Would I have fun on one now? Sure. But I swear it'll reduce the fun and learning potential, and then we'll see one more windsurfing casualty saying "Yeah, I was given some old windsurfing gear, but it was too hard to learn".

If someone gave me a free 2001 kite (shudder), you can't convince me that a new kite with a good instructor wouldn't shorten the learning curve considerably compared to the old stuff, speaking only of the performance and ease of use. We're talking here about a board that is a at least 20 years old!

Electra, if you get someone to teach you on the CH, just know that you are learning on an old, tippy platform with a shockingly unstable sail
and a giant boom. If it turns out to be great fun, then sweet. If not, know that you can try the new gear and have a completely different sailing experience. Time spent playing is so valuable and, for many of us, limited. Why not maximize the return?
Poultry in motion
GWIND

School

Post by GWIND »

There is a new windsurf school in Parksville at the new beach club hotel. Give it a try. see Kevin lessons are worth it. I know I used to teach at windsurfer schools. and he has great NEW gear. Old school is old. GW
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Balls, I say give him the old stuff, make him sweat it out & when he can handle the CH in 15+ knots & no harness he (she's) ready for some technology....there must be an old 99 hiding somewhere! :lol: :lol:
GWIND

thank you

Post by GWIND »

Iggy knows old school, so he will gladly give you lessons the old way of course.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Thanks Gwind, drop by my windsurfing museum sometime!
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

you guys crack me up, esp since I get several calls a week for gear and wanting to learn WS on a whim and 99% I never hear from again :lol: Electra's prolly already lost her password :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

Hmmm .....you (Kus) talk to several people many times a week about windsurfing and then 99% never want to speak to you again. :shock:
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

the abuse is mounting birdman....I have a thick skin....more than most but....you're making me very angry :evil: and also kinda sad :cry: it's all on you if I harm myself over this :!: first you have issues with me showering on Dallas Road, now this. Where will it all end :roll:
Wish less, sail more!!

Sandy Beach

windsurfing instruction

Post by Sandy Beach »

Now, now, kids, we can all get along.........

Kus: I have seen you 'buck' at Willows, and had to look away, but 'showering' at Dallas Rd, now that's a little obscene, isn't it? This IS a tourist town we live in.
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: windsurfing instruction

Post by KUS »

Sandy Beach wrote:Now, now, kids, we can all get along.........

Kus: I have seen you 'buck' at Willows, and had to look away, but 'showering' at Dallas Rd, now that's a little obscene, isn't it? This IS a tourist town we live in.
look away?? Ha, too funny! W247 always got a kick out of it :wink: And: Precisely, I always time the Tour bus or chariots before I start :idea: I see myself as a local attraction... well at least a local :P those biddies (or is that bitties :?: ) just love that stuff. I am a supporter of our local economy and all I get is this abuse.

BTW, you gettin' all this, Elektra :?: :?: :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!