Expansion??

We want your feedback: comments, complaints and suggestions for the website

ramcraez

Expansion??

Post by ramcraez »

I realize you guys are windsurfers etc but have you considered expanding to include fishermen (like me) and trying to get sponsorships from the tackle places around like "screamin fish and fly" or "gone fishin", at least in nanaimo area :idea: . i have to think the more fishermen you get the more these guys might be willing to advertise.? Speaking of fishing a cam up by Qualicum bay / Nile creek area would be prety cool. 8)
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Hi: good idea. I need to get out there and look for some more sponsors for the webcams. They aren't cheap and they cost a lot to run. I think fishing outfitters would be a good place to start. It's also been suggested that I make a version of the website for fishing/boating/sailing. It would be a bit of work but it might bring in some more sponsors...
dave
Mileb49

Post by Mileb49 »

The existing cameras offer a lot of information not just to kiters, windsurfers, and sailors etc.but just simply for anyone who wants to know what conditions on the island are in general and so I wondered if you have made any partnering approaches to the local chambers of commerce or a group like Victoria AM to get links to BWD on their websites. I know that Victoria AM were instrumental in getting that carved wood welcome to Victoria sign put up on the Pat Bay Hwy up by Royal Oak and perhaps they could asked for monetary support. In addition there should be a permanent banner ad asking for support and explaining how to do it on each page that comes up, sometimes simply asking for the support is all that is required.
BWD is such a great website/resource and should be supported.
My humble 2 cents worth.
more force 4
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by more force 4 »

That reminds me, BWD, my son-in-law was saying EVERYONE at the RVYC seems to use this site and it came up in conversation before and after every race. How many of them contribute?
Boson's Locker caters to that crowd; maybe other marine stores? Marine electronics as a different niche?
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

Thanks for the feedback. No, sadly I've done very little on promoting the website or looking for new sponsors. I know it should be done but I'm not that great at it and that part of the job never interested me that much. Part of the problem is that the overall website design does not lend itself well to expansion and having more sponsors. There isn't much room and I've had to squeeze in the ones that we have. I'd like to do a complete website overhaul to make it look better, be wider on the screen and be able to fit more things on the side bars. If anyone has ideas or wants to volunteer to help that would be great. I think this should be done first before any new sponsors are found.

I do have a link on the Oak Bay tourism website, but they have no money to donate. Thanks for the Victoria AM link, I'll see about contacting them. The fishing and yachting crowd (and realtor) is a big untapped market that I should investigate. No, I haven't been getting any contributions from the RVYC crowd that I know of, but I haven't been asking them either.

So eventually I hope to overhaul the website and then promote it a bit more and get some more sponsors. Lately my interest in the website has been dropping and most of my time has been spent keeping things running and paying all the bills. Hopefully I'll get back on improving things and finding more sponsors at some point.

thanks
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
downwind dave

Post by downwind dave »

just in case, im going to go lock up the domain bigyachtdave.ca ... when you want it you can talk to my people. :lol:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I still think u might save yourself lots of time and fund raising by finally making the weather aspects (model, readings) and cams of the site "paying user" with minimal costs. I bet you'd be ahead by having a $1 monthly fee, $10 per year, $30 for 4 years :idea: with a requirement for password changes every payment.
Administratively this might be a drag but we could probably pay as a group too, find three partners etc.. I know this was always avoided to date but if it's regular $$ u are wanting this would be one way to get the lurkers to finally buck up once too :roll: :!: :evil:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Thing is... as a recent newbie, I can attest to the fact I probably would not have been willing to buck up until I apprieciated the utility of the site; Which of course only came via a fair chunk of free usage. Padlock that component of the site, and you will discourage newbies like me from pitching (or starting a whole new sport like in my case) in once they realize the value in having BWD.ca around.

I think the best idea would be as suggested already, to pursue other groups around who use the information on this site such as the Yacht clubs and maybe even the surfing community. Two fellows I work with who are avid surfers use BWD just as much as magic seaweed before they head out JR/Som way.

As far as prosethelitizing BWD mantra to other groups in exchange for funds, I would understandably agree that many people would like to avoid this "sales" job. However, former sales slum bags like myself, would be more than willing to pitch BWD.

PS - where the hell do I find the spellcheck function?
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

I hear you Dave, this site must be a handful to maintain as it is.

I'm always amazed at how many users are online at all times (see the stats on the homepage or http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewonline.php). Who are these people?

Out of interest, I tried to search for who has links to the site...some of the results were expected, but some were surprising.

http://www.alexa.com/data/ds/linksin/bi ... vedave.ca/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=li ... vedave.ca/

And those are just the sites that link to the home page...other sites link directly to the webcams etc. There is probably a better way to find out where people come from when they link to the site.
bwd
Developer
Developer

Post by bwd »

KUS wrote:I still think u might save yourself lots of time and fund raising by finally making the weather aspects (model, readings) and cams of the site "paying user" with minimal costs.
I've always wanted to keep most of the content free for everyone from the very beginning and I have no immediate plans for user fees. I'm not against having perks for users that contribute (with $, time or posting). Maybe those users would get more photo album space and have access to things like camera zoom, faster webcam updates, real time weather station readings (other ideas?). That way the contributors get more then the lurking, non-poster/non-donators. It wouldn't be that hard to implement and might generate some more funds. I'd still like to keep the core of the site free though.
nanmoo wrote:As far as prosethelitizing BWD mantra to other groups in exchange for funds, I would understandably agree that many people would like to avoid this "sales" job. However, former sales slum bags like myself, would be more than willing to pitch BWD.
Thanks nanmoo, I'll be in touch, at some point. I would like to do some website upgrades first as I mentioned.
Dave
Now That I’ve Given Up Hope, I Feel Much Better
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

bwd wrote:
KUS wrote:I still think u might save yourself lots of time and fund raising by finally making the weather aspects (model, readings) and cams of the site "paying user" with minimal costs.
I've always wanted to keep most of the content free for everyone from the very beginning and I have no immediate plans for user fees.
yup I know, but just for the model, latest and cams would turn it around and no need to fit any more logos on the site or pitching sales....and the fees are nothing compared to the donations you get now from the hard cores.

I do like the idea of more photo space tho, mine is full and I have already parted with a lot of ones I liked a lot or were popular reviews.

Hey, is this 1,000 yet :?: :roll: :twisted:
Starboard Steve

Post by Starboard Steve »

I was talking to a float plane pilot from Kenmore Air on the way to Seattle about a year and a half ago. She was saying the pilots on that carrier use this site frequently as it spans the border. Support from the float plane industry would be much appreciated in running the site as well.
eastside

free ride sessions

Post by eastside »

It might be surprising who would pay for the info. And not just the windsurfers and kiters who don't contribute now. I know Nanaimo yachters are also looking at the site for weather info and webcams. I think they might pay to see if there is any wind at Entrance. If nobody asks them to pay they will not as they are not kiters or windsurfers so feel less "guilt" as non contributers. I guess if they don't pay then does it matter? They aren't paying now. If they pay then bwd could buy more weather stations and webcams. I am waiting for this spring so I can keep an eye on the Port Alberni webcam(sponsored by a boat manufacturer and a boat retailer) for some after work sessions. Information is worth something in the information age. What's it worth to not waste my time and gas money driving for an hour? Boating, windsurfing, flying,kiting are all expensive hobbies that either require gas to get there or gas to do it. No one rides for free.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Interestingly enough I was talking with a co-worker this morning when she suprisingly mentioned BWD. Knowing she was not into any watersports I was a bit suprised she knew of the site. Turns out she and her partner are fly model gliders and use the information on BWD to find out where the best spots are. Apparantly some of the local model clubs use it as well.

Probably an unexpected user group.