Best vehicle for Nitinaht logging roads.

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

so many choices so little time....votes might help.

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

I'd just like to say a huge thanks for all who have plugged in their 2 cents. My Kia is taking a shit kicking and I need to make a plan fast.

My options to pursue are as follows:

1) Land Cruiser Diesel that could be converted to run on veggie oil.

2) VW Van-great for camping, soft supsension, a little more work.

3) A nissan pickup

4) A toyota pickup

5) A Ford pickup

I want to spend no more than 5000.00-even less would be ideal!

Send in your votes if you like....

Thanks for all of the advice.

Kevin
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
duckbill

pounding on the back roads

Post by duckbill »

as a licensed mechanic, having spent lots of time on trucks commuting on the bamfield road, spend as little as possible on the TRUCK, not car. save your money for the repairs, they are inevitable. I would choose a rusty toyota pickup, 4runner or landcruiser. stay away from ford trucks, no matter what the quality of ball joints and amount of grease ...you will replace them yearly traveling that road.
like a duck to water
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

I drive an 08 ford ranger 4 banger.I have been going to the lake every weekend last summer and twice this year and its running as good as new.I dont belive a word you say duckbill ford trucks for life!!!
JL

Post by JL »

But a ford Ranger is a collaboration with Mazda ... I suspect he means full size Fords.
Thermals are good.
rookieRyan

Post by rookieRyan »

well i guess mazdas are pretty good too then jim! I whould drive a full size if i had the $$$ 8) :lol:
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

rookieRyan wrote:I drive an 08 ford ranger 4 banger.I have been going to the lake every weekend last summer and twice this year and its running as good as new.I dont belive a word you say duckbill ford trucks for life!!!
:lol: :lol: I think you mean: Ford trucks may cost you your life :lol: :wink:
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I'll cast my name into the FORD hat as well... When it comes to Trucks best bang for buck, and rollin' in styleeeee. I mean look at those Chevy and Dodges, I puke better looking trucks than the avalanche. Plastic eveerrryyywhereee!!!!
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Russian Dood

Post by Russian Dood »

Image after my last drive to the lake I think that would be just fine for the road.
Cancer must die!
duckbill

ford trucks

Post by duckbill »

Ironically i now drive an 89 f150, butt.... I can do all my own suspension work. so.... stay away from ford explorers ( exploders?).
like a duck to water
gnome

We have a 'cruizer for sale

Post by gnome »

Hi Kevin et al...

As luck would have it...John has been thinking about selling his 87 Land Cruiser for some time. We haven't done anything about it yet, but it could be available. He was planning to do a bit of work on it, but if someone wanted to do the work themselves...a smokin' deal could be up for grabs.

Let me know if you're interested.

It's been a great truck - perfect Nitinat/camp/ski/etc vehicle. Here's what I know...

The basics:
- 87 HJ60 4x4 Diesel 5sp
- completely rebuilt in 05/06 from the frame up. $10k invested over 8 months.
- tons of kms...400++ I'll go outside and check, if you're keen to know.

Rebuild Details:
- re/re frame - sandblasted, rubberized undercoat
- new paint, carpet, headliner, springs, suspension, tires (33), bumpers
- rebuild fuel injection pump
- 2" lift

Good to know:
- some rust showing around doors.
- engine ran a bit rough this winter upon start up. Turns out one of the cylinders has low compression. This is in the interest of being honest and straight up. IN the nice warmer weather, no problems at all. BUT... this means it needs to be fixed...not sure what way we are going to go - rebuild, or try to find a used engine. Like I said...we weren't really planning to let it go just yet...we were hoping to deal with this first.
- why we're selling...we plan to head off into the sunset on our sail boat - we won't be needing it anymore.
- it's in Campbell River.

Questions:
- go ahead and ask away. I probably won't know the answers...but I can likely find out for you.

I'll try to dig out some pics.

Some of the folks on this board would know the truck...
gnome

Cruiser Pic

Post by gnome »

Here she is:

SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy

Post by SaltSpringKiterPeaceGuy »

Hi there,

That's funny that you posted this.......we put our stuff out there and then something comes along. I had a feeling there might be something interesting when I logged on tonight.......

Off to sail the world eh? Well that's a worthwhile endeavour! I hope to do that sometime soon myself too...

The LC looks great. It's what I've been looking for!

I'm not as rushed as I was when I started this process. The road to Port Alberni has improved and I've taken to only going out every two weeks, drastically reducing the shit kicking my car was taking! However, I am still in the market.

I'd have to see it of course, but what kind of price are you thinking?

Email may work best:

Kevin
Kevin

If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy. Be content with what you have take joy in the way things are. When you realize you have all you need, the World belongs to you.
Wavos Rancheros

Post by Wavos Rancheros »

Patching my old van together for another hard rock season
on the nitinat road..

Sandy Beach

nitinat road HELL, but paradise at the end

Post by Sandy Beach »

WR: that's a great image!

Exactly what ws247's been doing to the old beater camper van for the last week...it's going to be better than new when he's done with it (spray/insulating foam, new floors, etc)!

It's our summer home, so, it's gotta be;)

I'm certain it'll be super comfy, I just hope the engine runs ok. It doesn't owe us anything at this point.