How we use the University of Washington Wind Model

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

How often do you check the wind forecast

Never
1%
Once a week
10%
Once a day
43%
At least 3 times a day
39%
Constantly hitting refresh on my browser!
7%

Total votes: 235

Pete

Post by Pete »

Unfortunately, lately I haven't had the chance to use this site much for Windsurfing, but I do often work on the water and it's the first place I look before planning any trip in the area.

I would agree with many of the people on this forum that suggest there is a significant value that this site can provide the UW in return. Weather/Wind models are not even close to 100% accurate. For the UW to continue to improve on their model, they require actual observations that can be compared to the modeled predictions. The network of webcams and weather stations BWD has set up must generate a significant amount of data that should be useful to the UW.

You never know, maybe the UW has money to extend or improve on the "meteorological data collection network" BWD has set up.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

I use this site for wind nfo on a very very regular basis....it would really reallly realllly suck to lose that valuable insite into the near future of wind.
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Any windsurfers or kiters at U of W who we could get on side?
Hope you can work something out Dave, your site is unique as far as I know and is an invaluable tool for our sports.
sparki

At least once a day!

Post by sparki »

I check to forcast at BWD at least once a day, often more. I have just gotten back in to windsurfing and this is an invaluable resource. I am self employed and ofter plan my jobs around the wind forcast from BWD.

Please, please, please don't take this away from me.
Bearded Lady

The Wind Model

Post by Bearded Lady »

Having access to this model is fantastic. It helps one plan adventures on the ocean - it's not the only information which helps to get a bead on the weather, but a valuable one. I always start here, and then dig deeper into the NOAA site and ENVIR Canada sites. Please keep it accessible !
Thanks
voodmon
Website Donor
Website Donor

just in case

Post by voodmon »

Do any of you remember what it was like listening to your little weather radio bought at radio shack, going through all of the environment canada and Noaa forcasts and waiting for the wind reports, no BWD weather stations in those days or web cams, I will have been windsurfing for 30 years come may 1st 2010, so I do really appreciate all that BWD does for us all and his service providers..cheers all! :twisted:
Surfing outside of Platos cave, searching for Blue Skies.
CTK

Post by CTK »

Use it for checking the conditions often. I was talking to some of the guys on my jobsite and apparently alot of fishermen use these models for planning there fishing trips.
Would be really horrible to see it go.
Gerry1

Post by Gerry1 »

I rely heavily on your excellent wind forecasts for all of my fishing and boating trips. It is by far the best forecast for wind conditions for the Vancouver Island (where I reside).
Gerry1

Post by Gerry1 »

I first found out about BigWaveDave.ca on the fishing site that I use, Sportfishingbc. It has been heavily recommended by many users on that site and it would be a shame to lose access to the wind model for forecasting.
TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Another thing I use the model for is surfing. I check three things before going surfing: 1. tides 2. Swell forecast and 3. Wind model. If any one of these are not inline I don't bother going out. Again the model saves me considerable time and gas!
Give'R
NickM

Post by NickM »

I check the wind model quite frequently. It would be a real shame if we lost access!
scott c

Post by scott c »

I use this site every day for wind forecasts before i go fishing.
Most of my buddies do the same.
Would hate to see the forecasts dissapear. :cry:
Let us know if we can help in any way ?
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

Isn't this what the Internet was originally intended for? The sharing of information?
like a duck to water
Sandy Beach

internet

Post by Sandy Beach »

collective consciousness
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
linda mcphie

Post by linda mcphie »

I check your wind model information every day. For days I am planning to kayak, I check the information for that day at least 3 times. I know of many other kayakers who do the same thing and it would have a big impact on our kayaking plans and safety if we did not have access to this information. Thank you to the people who provide it.