kiteboard safety in Tofino

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
gmac

kiteboard safety in Tofino

Post by gmac »

Here's something to think about: April 2, here at Chesterman's in Tofino, I caught a lose kite that was blowing down the beach. The thing is, that I was not kiteboarding, I was walking with my 14 month old son in the stroller, and the kite fully ran us over. What if ...(insert any possible situation here)? I'm sure you get where I'm going. The odds of a loose kite hitting someone who knows how to catch it are slim. Tofino is a bylaw-happy town, I'm sure it would take less than a baby swept away to generate a kite ban, and right now I'd have to say I'd see why. I'm pissed off.
But wait a minute, how many of us have taken chances with the safety of other beach users? I'd have to say all of us, if we know it or not. It's been a big reality check for me, a look at life from a different perspective. I think we all need to pay attention to the fact that the public has MORE right to be on the beach than kiteboarders. Rigging in a hurry? Slow down, look downwind, see who's around. If you leave your kite unattended, put an extra log on it. Hitting an innocent bystander with your kite is a KOOK move, a big bell should ring as a giant hand reaches down from the sky and yanks the offending kiter off into the sunset. Thanks for coming out.
And secondly, kiting at Chesterman's: Most of the time, the surf is knee high or flat. Occasionally it's head high. Extremely rarely it's big. Friday was massive. There were several kiters out, and I'm sure none of them was prepared for what would have happened if they'd been dragged out from behind the shelter of the spit. I don't care if you're Robby Naish. We're talking about huge volumes of moving water, a rip that's way faster than a swimmer. It's pointless to describe the size of it, I think that flirting with it was easily the least smart thing I've seen in my 3 years here. Several people have commented to me on the stupidity of the kiters Friday, and again I'd have to agree. All I'm saying is, if you're lucky enough to find some wind here, make sure you're ok with the swim in. Assume you will lose your kite in the surf. And, put some extra sand on it if you're on the beach.

That was something I wrote a month ago and didn't post. Well, spring north westerlies are here, and I witnessed more stupidity a couple of days ago, so I'm going to say what's on my mind. Saturday I watched a beginner launch a kite right up by Incinerator Rock. Luckily an experienced kiter ran over and took over the bar and landed the kite before carnage happened.
Most of you who bother to read this probably don't need this advice, but pass it on and maybe somebody will avoid an accident:
North West wind: if you're new to kiteboarding, go to Combers beach. Steadiest wind, not the strongest, but a good spot. 5 minute walk down from the new parking lot. The current will suck you downwind. Walk back.
Wick beach is ok but onshore and often just a big mess.
Long Beach (Lovekin Rock and Incinerator Rock) are ok if you don't mind super holey gusty side offshore wind, cleaner surf. Most of the time it's just too gusty upwind of the rock. If you're new to kiteboarding and you just have to sail here, launch downwind of the Lovekin Rock and go downwind. Walk back. Do not launch up by Incinerator Rock (the upwind parking lot). The wind is totally shadowed by the headland upwind. You will get tossed around, likely into a tourist, or baby. Not cool.
Cox Bay is onshore, usually biggest surf, and least wind. Ok if it's really windy or you like riding to windward.
The Spit is the outside end of South Chesterman's Beach. Strongest wind in the area. Remember, it's blowing straight offshore. Sooner or later we all go downwind. Usually the smallest, cleanest surf. If it's a sunny weekend, you'll be sharing it with up to 50 beginner surfers taking lessons. In their minds, they are all Kelly Slater. If you're lucky enough to get a bit of swell, you'll be sharing it with surfers who can surf. Each and every one of them knows they are Kelly Slater. They will paddle over, under and around you, and to them you do not exist. Most surfers will respect you like they would a boogie boarder or a kayaker... something to be wary of but ignored. If you breakdown or go downwind, you have two choices: the surf in Cox Bay, or the rocks in Rosie Bay. There is no wind in the corner by Rosie Bay, you're kite will fall out of the sky. There is no wind behind Frank Island, your kite will fall out of the sky. Busy beach, don't hit a tourist or baby stroller. Kiter-surfer relations at South is whole story in itself. Don't get me started.
North Chestermans: Relatively safe. Lighter wind than South, and straight onshore, small surf unless it's big, then it will suck the boots right off your feet. Not a bad place for learning, except that it's hard to get out of the shallows. Get ready to be dragged out of the water. Watch out for the public.
Pass the word, try not to kook out in Tofino.
Thanks, Grant
sharkdiver

Post by sharkdiver »

I like your post, it would be a shame for kiters to be banned from tofino, this post could easily have tofino substituted in for cook or IVB or anywere for that matter. kiters, be them new or old need to be aware of the surrounding areas, ocean and beach, now is the time that people are coming out to watch and just go for a stroll. I too have seen some really stupid stuff go on at the beaches and not being a kiter, I can see it. those beaches that we all love are one careless accident away from being taken away.
JL

Post by JL »

Great post Grant & congratulations on being a Dad ... We have been keeping busy on the windy days here keeping it safe ... The CRD has added a gravel path along the field @ I.V. from the gazebo to the campsites & I worry about kiters not respecting the pedestrians !!! 8)
Thermals are good.
eastside

Post by eastside »

Good stuff, this info should be on the Wiki. Unfortunately, everyone who gets a kite for christmas heads to Tofino so it's harder to control than most of the other spots. Experts only I would say.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Good advice and lots of good info to mitigate.

Stopping it? Futile. There will always be a kook. If he is permitted to launch he will. Unlike the other water sports, kiting has the potential to dramatically impact not just the users but others easily. If the kiting community won't enforce a standard, eventually a bylaw will.

Maybe not this year...maybe next week. Spilled milk once it happens and it will be an avalanche. If designated areas are retained at all, it likely won't be the ones you want. Frankly with all the stuff happening in town I'm amazed, a testament to Canadians for sure

Didn't know you helped create a new human, Grant, congrats! Fatherhood will come easily for a guy like you :wink:
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Thanks Grant as I do not want to see the loss of a great area when it does happen. I was there this saturday and was the only kiter on the water at that time and there were alot of surfers playing down by rosie bay. I appreciated your advice about the wind shadows and stayed away from the lower area which was congested with surfers anyways. About half way through my session it seemed like several schools showed up and boom the entire area not only by rosie bay but up by the spit were occupied by people. At this point I was unsure what to do...I dont like sailing close to people for the exact reason of "what if..I break a line...bail etc etc" even though I do consider myself a reasonable kiter there is always the "what if" so I moved further out into the water where the waves were forming but not breaking...then I noticed several people moving out there...I was like SHEEEEESH give me some room and I was the only kiter there...anyways I decided to come off the water. Several times I did catch waves that people were near by and I was extremely aware of their position and mine and I must admit I was not the most comfortable with the situation. I love playing in south chestermans and I wish to continue....when the schools move in and there is a bazillion people in the water everywhere..in close ....out further and spread out I am unsure what the "protocol" would be. Like everyone else I want to play..but I will be damned to put myself or others "at unreasonable" risk.

Frankly the RIPS scare the shit out of me. Got caught in one in mexico and one near combers once and both amazed me at the power of the water....my board was moving so fast away...the ONLY reason I was able to get it back and stay in control was the fact my kite was in the air and I was able to fly it to combat the current...should I have been in the water by myself I would have been very hard pressed to keep postition and swim out of the rip ( I am aware of how).

Anyways...it was good to see you Grant, thank you for your post and happy sailing to all
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!