Lowdown on Tofino area Sailing

Add photos, maps and directions to sailing spots on or off the Island.
G-Daddy

Lowdown on Tofino area Sailing

Post by G-Daddy »

Staying on S. Chesterman for a few days. We went out with the SUP and a surfboard for a short session before dark. Nice waves and it looks like its going to be windy tomorrow afternoon. Does Chesterman work reasonably well on a NW? Felt like it might out on the water today...

Anyone have any tips on launching, weird waves, wind direction etc...? Should I sail the N or S beach?

G
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Lucky you!

NW is just fine 8)

N. Chesterman's will likely have more consistent wind (less gusty), but the waveriding is more onshore-oriented. I've had great jumping sessions there! It's a great place to play around if the waves aren't too serious.

S. Chesterman's can have perfect side-off wave sailing, but it will tend to be gustier and possibly lighter into the down-wind part of the bay. It requires more skill to sail due to the crazy rotors of wind that funnel in. If it's a bit lighter, an 88 L or more FSW board will be fun for float and ride-type sailing, and it will make the gusty conditions easier to sail. If it's windy enough to plane on the way out, you're in for a treat on a full-on wave board. The direction is beautiful for hitting the lip and carrying speed down the line (not like side-on CB), but a bit tricky for jumping at times at S. Chesterman's.

So, if you want to jump, sail the North part. Sail the gustier South side for "real" riding.

Be careful of the surfers in the line-up and give them priority, especially towards the bottom of the bay near the point to avoid stink-eye or worse.

Hope you score tomorrow!
Poultry in motion
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Perfect Doc. Thanks for the 'Beta':wink:. I'll let you know how it goes. Pretty psyched to finally be here with my kit and conditions lining up. Will likely try N first as the wind builds, then maybe S if it doesn't look like I'll get munched too badly.

I'll be happy long as I don't break something too painful... or expensive :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
G-Daddy

More Chesterman's Info

Post by G-Daddy »

Doc or others with local knowledge.... any tips about tides and wind direction for success in Chesterman's?

The wind at N. Chesterman was punshingly onshore today. La Perouse read W for the day while Lennard Isl read WNW. Does it work better/become more side-on if there is more N and less W in the wind?

How does the tide in S. Chesterman work? It seemed to me that you need a decent high tide to really work the bay due to some mild wind shadowing from the sand bar itself, and a more significant wind shadow from Frank Island. The only zone that seemed to work reasonably well for windsurfing was pretty deep into the bay today, not far from the rocks, but in there it seemed to be full of holes followed by massive gusts.

All that being said, there was a kiter out there who worked both beaches successfully in today's conditions.

G
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

nice lengthy log, GDad, about the impact zone n stuff, nothing a couple weeks every summer at the Oregon coast won't fix or at least make more manageable 8)
When trouble getting out a bigger board and/or sail helps me :idea: too bad u can't just "deflate" things once out there :roll: someone's gotta work on that.... :wink:
eastside

Post by eastside »

Always seems to be gusty in Tofino. Only sailed once at south Chesterman's with Udder and Windoc. You will probably be more comfortable on a bigger board. That way you can get out as there is less wind further south on the beach. So go 1/2 way down the beach and then go back out. Wave also bigger down the beach which makes going out more difficult and thrashings more probable. Probably stick with your 105 for float on the way out and use smaller fin than you would normally use. Say 9" or 10" max so you can turn it on the wave on the way in. No bigger than 5.5 or 6 m sail. Make tight jibes on outside so you stay upwind. Watch our pros, buy Jem Hall, Peter Hart videos. You are hooked! Great post. Have fun, be safe :twisted:
JasonD

Tofino guide

Post by JasonD »

G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Thanks JD. That is a great detailed description of area conditions. Covers pretty much everything ya' need.