BWD tshirt & logo design

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.

BWD Logo redesign?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:37 pm

I like the existing logo as it is
54%
I like the existing logo, but I'd like to see some small updates, like a new font
15%
I'd like to see a newly redesigned logo since I don't like the existing one
31%

Total votes: 26

TheLaw

Post by TheLaw »

Not that I am a Marketing expert, but changing a logo I believe is changing the brand. There are already a bunch of stickers out there promoting bigwavedave and if we go and change the logo to something really different from the original it might be confusing for the brand.

Updating a font or resizing things here and there is probably okay to protect the brand recognition, but a wholesale change might not be a good idea.

Something to consider anyway.

-Mark
Give'R
Sandy Beach

BWD logo/brand

Post by Sandy Beach »

Agree with TheLaw
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

I've always been a fan of the BC surf forum logo:

Maybe we could get the guy who designed it to work on one for BWD? He probably doesn't come cheap though...
duckbill

logo

Post by duckbill »

never been a fan of the logo, it looks like a whale pooped out a kiter and a boarder at the same time.
like a duck to water
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

eastsides wife is a graphic designer, maybe trade for some free ads or something?
like a duck to water
JL

Post by JL »

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/images/forum.jpg I like the jpg @ the top but it might be hard to put on clothing . 8)
Thermals are good.
Cj

Post by Cj »

How about the T-shirts look like Larry!
Attachments
L_C_kitebeach_maui~0.jpg
L_C_kitebeach_maui~0.jpg (111.61 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
somebody said " go fly a kite".
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Cj wrote:How about the T-shirts look like Larry!
Yes, lets get the 6-pack abs screened on the front :lol:
~~~~~4j~~
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by ~~~~~4j~~ »

Sooo...my ADD kicked in...and I kinda went off on a tangent.

I thought it would be more fun to design something for the back of a T-shirt. The BWD logo (whatever we decide) can still go on the front (perhaps this is something that we could do on a regular basis for fundraising?).

Anyhoo...I don't know what we will do with these, but I got some amusement out of their creation. Note that I did this by myself, with no input or approval from anyone else...so it really isn't a "BWD community project". That said, if you like the direction I'm going, I'm open to suggestions/criticism/comments.

Here are a few of my prototypes:
Attachments
Here is the "basic" version
Here is the "basic" version
BWD_T_DRAFT2 copy.jpg (73.22 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
Here is the "creature" version
Here is the "creature" version
BWD_T_DRAFT3 copy.jpg (74.45 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

~~~~~4j~~ wrote:Note that I did this by myself, with no input or approval from anyone else...so it really isn't a "BWD community project". That said, if you like the direction I'm going, I'm open to suggestions/criticism/comments.
Here are a few of my prototypes:
oh man, r we there where you have to put up a disclaimer so nobody slaggs u :roll:

I love your ideas 4J, esp the rooster, haha :lol: Well done, I would gladly have a Tshirt with that one splattered on the back and the usual logo on the front as a chest crest! Put me down for a couple if we go with that....or esp if I can get it on the back of the hoodies :twisted: :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
xmyxlife

Post by xmyxlife »

I like em! A few tweaks here and there could probably clean up the look a bit. But the Bigwavedave as the whitewater on the top of the breaking wave is perfect! Sweet idea.
Turn Down The Suck!
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

That was a clever idea - puts the bubble font to good use!

I like em both, I like Kus' idea of this on back, std. on front.
T

Post by T »

I like the original logo, colour and bubble text. I really like the wave. Though I did think that there was a shark eating a parachuter the first time I saw it (not being a wind/kite boarder and all). Just for kicks I played around with it a bit ...had some time to kill while 4j worked with t-shirt ideas. Boy, making a logo that works is a LOT harder than I imagined. Decided to just stick with the basic logo but tweak the figures slightly and play with silhouettes. Just an idea...this one's pretty rough. There are so many possibilities with silhouettes and configurations.
Attachments
Ts BWD Logo Experiment_600.jpg
Ts BWD Logo Experiment_600.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Some good ideas. I really like the perspective on 4J's kiteboarder where you see both the rider and kite in a dynamic position. My opinion is that the original logo is cluttered with both the windsurfer and kite included in the picture.

Tough to have both competing images without visually making a mess, so why not just a stylized wave on the back of the shirt with spray being torn off of the top to indicate wind (picture the "Storm" logo from Tofino http://stormcanada.ca/blog/?cat=39), and maybe "bigwavedave.ca: Keeping Stoke Alive for Wind Addicts Since 2004" or "Your Source for Stoke" underneath. The front could have a small pocket sized wave logo again with bigwavedave.ca underneath. Simple and clean. Just my very humble 2 cents.
Poultry in motion
Sandy Beach

logo

Post by Sandy Beach »

Impressive!

Thanks for all of the energy and renewed interest stimulated with the new BWD design ideas.

T- I like your use of the existing logo with some adjustments to the kiter and windsurfer. I particularly like your upside down windsurfer design better than the original. It looks more like a w/ser, than the original sailboat sail-looking one.

I think, similar to the original BWD logo, if the kiteboarder could be shown with a kite, not just the board, that would be better. Altho, your kiter has good details with the bar and stance, etc. Space is probably an issue to fit it all in, as winddoc points out.

~~~~~~4J~~~~~ I like your first basic version/drawing for a good massive BWaveD picture (whale-spout looking wave) on the back of a shirt, it looks exhilirating and a little less evil than your second draft/creature version.
The detail of the kiter and windsurfer are so real, it looks like 240 (with that white waist harness) and it's obviously Van Is, since they are in hooded wetsuits.

I like the idea of 'Your Source For Stoke' under the BWD, but I think somewhere, it should have the word WIND. Perhaps, 'Your windstoke matters'.

Great to see all of the creative juices flowing. There is some real artistic talent in this community!
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction