Which kites are in your quiver?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Wooderson

Which kites are in your quiver?

Post by Wooderson »

What sort of kites have you found the best for your area?

Currently I'm riding a 2007 North Rebel 10m in the Colima area in Mexico.

I'm hoping to get a new kite or two when I get back to the island and was curious what people like?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ocean Rodeo...keep it local. Great kites too.
AC

"

Post by AC »

8 meter Ocean Rodeo I like quite a bit.
But today i could have used a 7 in those strong gusts of 35.
Vik

Post by Vik »

Naish Cult - 6m

OR Rise - 8m & 10m

Blade Fat Lady - 17m

When the OR's wear out I'll replace them with some Slingshot RPMs. Although demos between now and the moment of purchase could send me in another direction.

The bigger and smaller kites will last 2-4 times the 8m-12m sizes so they'll be around for a while.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

8m and 10m OR Razors work well for me
A 6m or 7m OR Rise is nice to have for the big storms
BK

Post by BK »

I've been on 2011 Evos. 6,8,10. Solid kite!!! I'm sold...
gabe

Quiver Q/A

Post by gabe »

Hi Wooderson,
There is this link you might find interesting:
http://www.flysurfer.com/topnews/3021-t ... er-quiver/

also a table I am trying to attach.

I fly 6, 10, 12, and a 19m for the Lower mainland, Nitinath, Squamish, CB... on water land and snow.
cheers
Gabe
Attachments
quiver-table.png
quiver-table.png (172.69 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Enjoying both wind and kitesurfing.
Wooderson

Post by Wooderson »

@gabe

Thanks a lot, that link was really helpful. It's a big commitment to get new gear so I want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

I'm looking at the Cabrihna nomad 2011, 9m and 13m. Trying to get by with a 2 kite quiver. I'm 185 pounds.
Martin

Post by Martin »

A couple of thoughts;
Most kite companies are building good kites these days.
The sizes are dependent on your weight, the location where you will do most of your kiting, and the type of board you ride. One kite with one small board and one big board will give you quite a range.
It is nice to have a kite that other kiters at your beach are familiar with.
If you need help with setting up or you forgot your bar etc. at Nitinat, there will be lots of ocean Rodeo riders or Mark and Marie from Elevation can help you with a North kite. other brands, not so much.
Even here in Laventana, if you have a problem with your ocean Rodeo or North, help is nearby. Other brands you may be able to have fixed but parts may have to come from the US.
This is not to take anything away from the other brands eg. Naish, Cabrihna etc.
If you are mostly at a beach where these brands are popular then by all means go for it.
martin
JL

Post by JL »

Many kiters upgrade every year & last years gear can be purchased for a fraction of new cost & often in 100% condition ... Forums are a great help & often have links to reviews from non biased kiters 8) My quiver: 2010 7M RISE (with updated 'roll over' bridle, highly recommended bridle but requires an update on your bar as well), 2012 8M O.R. RAZOR, 2011 10 M O.R. RAZOR ... 130x35 & 150x40 Mako's
Last edited by JL on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thermals are good.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have pretty ones! There blue, and green and many other fun colors!
Vik

Post by Vik »

JL wrote:Many kiters upgrade every year & last years gear can be purchased for a fraction of new cost & often in 100% condition ...
+1 - very true. Also be aware that many manufacturers order significantly more gear than they can sell to act as a buffer for warranty replacements and/or a sales spike. They regularly sell their excess gear at the end of the year brand new for the same prices folks that paid full MSRP are selling their 1 year old gear for. It's worth trolling the net in Oct-Dec when the next year's gear is coming out and finding out whose dumping brand new gear at clearance prices.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Ken

Kite quiver

Post by Ken »

Hi All,

Looking to change up my kite and put together a good quiver. I have a 2009 Slinshot Rev 11M. I also have an old Naish Torch 16M probably a 2005....no stopper on the lines...I want to sell it for what ever and put taht towards a newer 2011 kite to eith compliment my 11M REv or sell the rev as well and go with two newer kites. I am 6 ft 208lbs. Any thoughts I would apprecaite the feedback. One more: looking for a wetsuit for winter kiting in Parksville area....thoughts on wet suit and kite sizes would be appreciated.
Vik

Post by Vik »

Got some new kites that I am sharing with my GF:

- 6m Naish Cult

- 7 & 9m Liquid Force Envy [my GF's main kites and I'll "borrow" them for strapless surfboard action]

- 8 & 10m Ocean Rodeo Rise [1 more season on these for me]

- 12m Blade Trigger

- 17m Blade Fat Lady
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com