Learning to kiteboard in La Ventana

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Eazyas

Learning to kiteboard in La Ventana

Post by Eazyas »

Hey everyone,

Im thinking about heading down to La Ventana for a week this winter to learn to kiteboard. Im hoping to get some feedback from you guys on a good school, accommodation and how much I'll be looking at spending for the week.

So far it seems between $600-$800 for lessons to get me up and riding independently. I was thinking $25 a day for food and $10 per night to set up a tent at a campsite. Are there any other expenses to consider? and is $700 a good price on an airfare from Van to La Paz? any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ethan
thankgodiatepastafobreaky

laVentana

Post by thankgodiatepastafobreaky »

you will only need 15$/day for food and camping is about 10 unless you opt to go for no fees ;) contact Elevation for intruction fees or pm me if you want more personalized lessons with beach support only from certified instructors that I can put you in touch with..
curses - foiled again!
norona

Post by norona »

If your going to spend the money book yourself into Baja Joes and take lessons from elevation kiteboarding. This way you have a nice place to stay that is not very expensive and can focus on your lessons as it is easy to cook and eat right there...you will be up and riding in 2-3 days with them and then you can buy a kite from them and the money you save on getting two north kites and a bar is like the lessons will be free.

The wind is perfect right now and will be to well into march. Many people are wearing a full wet suit but I am fine in just a 2mm top, the water gets warmer from here too so feb and march are wicked for that..

contact Marie at www.elevationkiteboarding.com they run t nitnaht in the summer, the other rad spot to kite..and learn.
nitnaht Pat

Elevationkiteboarding

Post by nitnaht Pat »

seconder for staying at Baja Joe's n booking with Elevationkiteboarding. the time and money you save is well worth it.... even great rider's book personal training time with this organization....
Eazyas

Post by Eazyas »

Thanks for the feedback! I think it would be more enjoyable staying with a bunch of kiters if I end up traveling by myself. so Baja Joe's will probably be the place. Im just on a budget so the less I spend the better.
Vik

Post by Vik »

I just got back from a month in La Ventana. Great place to kite.

My GF learned with Elevation. She liked them a lot and would recommend them to new kiters.

My advice is to take private jet ski lessons and don't get fixated on a timeframe to become independent. Everyone is different and if you aren't on the fast end of the curve you can get really frustrated because you aren't meeting your "schedule". Focus on next skill you need to learn and ensure you are progressing. That will lead to independent riding on your terms.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com