Fresh at Pipers

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
dorkfish

Fresh at Pipers

Post by dorkfish »

Me again. The areas freshest keener.

Being at the "learning to waterstart" phase of things, is the South beach at Pipers a safe place to practice during a SE?

Beyond 'gettin in other's way', is there any other safety info, or is this just a good old bad idea?

I'd rather allow the lagoon to contain my sometimes chaotic abilities, but sometimes ya just can't get there when its in.

Huge thanks for any thoughts.

~Steve
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Thought you were kiting... sorry.
Last edited by MartyD on Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
saulman

Post by saulman »

Me thinks you are learning to waterstart a windsurfer. Correct?

-in which case, my opinion is that the gear threat is not as great as Marty describes unless you are trying to do this in bigger waves or stronger winds. If you choose your day wisely, a SE could offer decent conditions as long as you find one where the shore break hasn't gotten big. If it is big - you WILL wreck your gear getting in and out of the surf. If the wind has come on late in the day like on Saturday, you will find that the surf is still manageable and the winds at a decent level. In terms of vulnerability, a SE at Pipers is safer than on the NW for waterstart learning. There is nowhere to go but back to the beach unless of course your beoynd the point. This can be the drawback however. Once you start, there isn't much room to head downwind before you are back at the beach. You will likely end up hoofing it back up the beach. either in or out of the water. Everyone has been there.

It is best when the tide is down a bit, as you will have a sandy bottom to stand on and get everything set for the waterstart and to take a rest when needed.

The most important thing is to keep your mast and sail out of the waves as you enter and exit.

Don't worry about getting in people's way. Use common sense and take a rest if someone else is coming in or trying to launch near you.

Good luck.
Was that you in the white car with the stickers on the back?
dorkfish

Post by dorkfish »

That's awesome. Thanks so much for the info.
Windsurfer, yepper.
I'll be avoiding the heavy conditions as much as possible at this stage. (as I did on Saturday - that was me in the old decorated Golf - a great day to just play observer)

Thanks for that! See ya there sometime!
Windsurfish

Roland Road on Nanoose Bay

Post by Windsurfish »

Probably the best place to go for a SE when you are learning, as long as he tide is above 3m. If it's 5.0 or greater at CB, it will always be 5.5-6.0 at Rowland road. Nice rigging area out of the wind. Walk upwind (even in the water) 100 yards to launch. Have fun! :D