Kiting lessons

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
SmallWaveSteve

Post by SmallWaveSteve »

For beginner(ish) friendly spots on the island as far as I'm aware:
IV & SP (see previous posts above)

Gordons - Sort of, I'd only say if you plan on doing a downwinder to the beach the end of Otter Point Rd, I know the currents can get going pretty good out there too. I'm not 100% sold on it (could just be because last time I was there I left with a concussion and stitches, and the 3 other people I was with had to ditch out at the windsurf launch, and one ended up with a kite in a tree, it was also a funky frontal wind not a thermal)

Pat Bay - might be ok on a really really low tide? Powerlines and West Saanich Rd are both right there (it blows straight onshore), also floatplanes to contend with if you don't stay away from the south side of the bay (I know the rcmp and flight authority have been out there).

I had a similar thread going last year, it was called "noobs & kooks unite" (or something to that effect) that may have some useful info in. I've also got a couple other spots in mind that I'd like to check out that could potentially be decent spots if the stars align (just haven't had a chance with the wind only ever blowing when I'm at school or work).
Nitinat is nice too because you're not as likely to freeze your bag off/get hypothermia when you're sitting in the water, which tends to be more frequent in the beginner stages (and less feel for the board due to booties)
Last edited by SmallWaveSteve on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

trainer how to

Post by juandesooka »

Funny, when you list it out like that, we do live in a place that's pretty unwelcoming to newbies. Much of the rest of the kiting world is about sandy beaches that go on for miles. I have a friend from Australia who has dabbled in kiting...he never bothered to learn to go upwind, just did 2-car 10km downwinders. Nice.

I am a big believer in learning with a 4-line trainer, for kite knowledge and how the kite acts in the wind window. More importantly, for practicing all the things you need to know how to do to be both safe and effective, in a situation where there's little or no consequence. (rather than learning how your safety systems work when connected to a massively powerful kite out by yourself) Build the muscle memory in a safe environment, and you'll have it ready to go when you need it.

Ideal to use a proper harness and full size kite bar, so that you're practicing using the gear you'll have on the big kite.

Things to practice with trainer: Learn how to self-launch, both hot and proper sidewind; hover the kite at the edge of the window indefinitely; fly it without looking, with your eyes closed pick up a stick and throw it or tie your shoes without losing control; run down the beach with it in powered position, let go of the bar and see what happens; release your safety, see what happens and learn to reattach it; learn to self-rescue on land and in water; practice water relaunches; try looping kite and how to unswivel bar; practice power sweeps and see how far you can drag your feet in the sand; sit on your butt or kneel and do power sweep up to your feet. Then you can do downwind body dragging, even with a 2m.

The schools generally do an hour of trainer flying then you're in the water. However, with 10-20 hours on a trainer before lessons, you will be riding day 1 and going upwind day 2 or 3. So you can possibly save a day or two of lessons, or use the lessons to advance more quickly.

Locations...for trainer, grassy field, sandy beach. DON'T do it on a barnacle beach, you will trash it. For big kite....maybe lower tide Gordons, maybe IV. Either spot, DON'T consider it until you know how to self-rescue, as there is no other rescue. Nitinat is so much more friendly......ideal to wait if you can.

PS this is a GREAT link for anyone learning to kite....a jet fighter pilot's take on it. Highlights some really important safety considerations and the mindset you need to stay safe.
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2374724
JL

Post by JL »

I've observed many kiters who HAD taken lessons being unsure of safety releases & self rescue techniques. Practice, practice, practice :?
Thermals are good.
kitesurferdale

Post by kitesurferdale »

Hello again,

First all, beginner beaches.....Unfortunately we DO live on a rock and as such NOT friendly to kites or OOPS (on our bodies) add barnicles, muscles, logs, bull kelp etc etc and beginning on open water should begin to seem daunting ....and it should, not wise in my books. Also I would like to mention winter winds are typically SE and gusty, strong and unpredictable....another reason why a beginner should not attempt learning a big kite. With that said there are a few locations I would recommend, but unfortunately not close to Victoria, the first which has been mentioned already is San Pariel in Parksville on a low tide (sandy areas) and the second is on the Ismuth (sp?) between North and South Chestermans at long beach on a NW. This second location is ok if you walk out towards the outer part of the ismuth......and BE super aware of looky loo's .... do not fly kite if a ton of ppl around. Do not head into the water there to learn to go up wind, but to fly kites you have a sandy area with water to cushion and Q@!#!^ ups, and shallow enought to ditch kite .... retrieve, sort out your stuff and do it again. but again I STRESS, do not interfere with the other tourists or foolishly endanger them..... have a person to help you so you can land your kite if people enter into the flight path of your kite.

Nitinaht can fire even in march...yup it is a short wind day, and it is cold, but I have many memorable days in March crusin all by my lonesome, soul sessions for sure.

good luck!
Dale
Airtime! whoo hoooo, its all about the airtime...... ok waves rock too!
JL

Post by JL »

Same rules apply @ Island view. Dog walkers etc. have the right of way :P
Thermals are good.
Skeltic

Post by Skeltic »

JL wrote:Same rules apply @ Island view. Dog walkers etc. have the right of way :P
Sorry only starboard tack dog walkers....
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

People over 170 lbs learning: Please consider for boards "The Door" from Spleene to accelerate your upwind progression. This board is sooo good for learner that after trying it it took me 2 days to learn how to go downwind with it (yes I did have to body drag 50m-100m downwind every 4-5 tact for two days) I lend it to learners walking upwind at Nitinaht Lake for the last 2 years ... The smile they have on their face when they give you the door back is unbelievable (after 2-3 hours riding upwind).

Everyone is right about trainer kite over real kite. (if you see a $50 trainer new go for it as oppose to a $400 one. Yes the $400 might teach you power / depower to some low degre, but if you were to spend this money you would be better off with a 5m-6m-7m real kite and regular length lines in light wind. for 170+ lbs.)

Or go with the $50 trainer kite AND a used 14m-15m-16m kite to practice body dragging at IV on a SE/NE 14kts-19kts. After you flew the trainer kite enough obviously, and only launch on the water side from log rope to chiken loop, not from grass area. (there are plenty of 15 kts forecast for IV, that it be SE / N / NE /

IV at 14kts-19kts is NOT gusty, there are no waves, no kiters / ws or not much anyway.

95% of death / big injury / close call posted on different forums happen on small kites 10m and less because these kites are faster and require stronger wind thus gustier wind. Big kite are so slow that if you spent at least 2-3 hours on a trainer kite and practice quick safety release reflex, well the chances of hurting yourself or someone else are greatly reduce.

A 210lbs guy body dragging in low wind (13kts-19kts) @ IV is very safe if you did fly a trainer kite before for 2-3 hours and talked to some people about safety (launch near water,not from grass, do this, dont do this, etc...)

You already flew an old 12m C kite ON LAND!!! you are safe to get a 14m / 15m / 16m post 2007 on water, being careful more knowledgeable about safety & dangers than you were in 20?? with that 12m C Kite.

Best choices for you (money/what you get out of it):

1- Cheap Trainer Kite + Used 14-15-16m kite post 2007 (to use lightwind IV, after trainer kite experience and talk/explanation with kiters on safety etc..)

2- Cheap Trainer Kite

3- Cheap used 5m -6m 7m, to use in lightish wind on land or stronger wind on water but not too strong.

4- Expansive Trainer Kite

***If money isnt a problem at all, than obviously the Expansive Trainer kite goes on top of the cheap one***
JL

Post by JL »

Eric: IMHO: Trying to learn how to kite when under-powered is more dangerous than going out slightly over-powered. When under-powered; the kite is unresponsive, has no power, falls out of the sky, and won't relaunch, basically it doesn't perform as designed. This is extremely frustrating for newb because they don't have the experience to know that it's not their fault and that they need to be overly aggressive when under-powered. If they go out slightly over-powered the kite performs as designed and requires little effort to get the desired response in all aspects of kiting. - Saturday March 02, 7:17AM
Teabag: 10kts-12kts IV I cant get upwind on 15m and Door, the kite barely fly. (can only go upwind at 13kts - handheld windometer + IV station). How will his 10m benefit him? Body draging downwind maybe, but he wont be able to bodydrag upwind (that is if the kite fly). Dont forget the 210lbs, makes a huge difference. Bobson alrdy has 20-25 hours on trainer kite, plus experience flying a 12m C kite. - Saturday March 02, 6:14AM
57Palm: A 10m kite in 10-12 kts is perfect to learn on. Everything happens nice and slow and you learn how to launch in lights winds, control the kite and keep it from stalling and falling out of the sky. Something that take practice with some kites. - Friday March 01, 9:25PM
Juandesooka: Not sure I agree with the big kite / low wind training idea. I have a 16m and even in low wind it has a lot of grunt...I wouldn't want a beginner to have to deal with that. Lighter-moderate wind (<20kts), with medium/small kite (6-8m) seems safer to me. - Friday March 01, 8:27PM
Kc7777: Bobson you kiting now? - Friday March 01, 8:19PM
Teabag: This afternoon IV was a perfect example of steady light wind for a 210 lbs person to learn body draging (with 14m/15m/16m.) - Friday March 01, 3:38PM
Denmankiter: if i had had a working pump last sunday i would have kited. don't wait til yours goes and you decide to just borrow one from other people who aren't actually going kiting that day...not that anyone promised. for real. i'm serious. i just thought there would be people there and there weren't and i drove for 4 hours for NOthin! new pump. - Friday March 01, 3:09PM
57Palm: check Canadian Tire or Wal-mart for a cheap $15 version. in sporting goods/air matresses - Friday March 01, 1:55PM
Dangerdane: @Bobson Our friends at Ocean Rodeo should have a pump. - Friday March 01, 1:08PM
Bobson: Best place to buy a kite pump..?? - Friday March 01, 12:27PM
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Land flying in light wind a 2-3 M is safer BUT as skill level improves a larger kite could be flown. I.V. is VERY muddy / slippery currently so flying on the beach is much safer. Teabag & Eric are correct in that body dragging is more effective with powered up kites. A 'buddy system' is a great way to practice, it saves kites being dragged over barnacles etc. & enables more flying & less carnage. PLEASE wear a helmet & consider low tide sessions. ( tide graphs are displayed below web cams ) :P http://www.bigwavedave.ca/Tides2/Saanichton%20Bay.png
Thermals are good.
57palm

light wind

Post by 57palm »

Very diplomatic JL. Yes I was referring to on land or shallow water kiting.

Reuben
Trav

my 2 bits.

Post by Trav »

As a progressing learner I'll toss my hat in. I started with a 3.5m 3 line trainer; this thing has gotten a LOT of use. Any flyable wind I was out there. I still use it in a heavy wind land boarding (the third line is great for bails). However, I have started flying my 5m more and more. It is an old 4 line C kite. Since starting to fly that kite more, my progression has quickened. However with the small 5m, in winds it is designed to fly in, things happen quick and a little scary. In an underpowered wind it is like you won the super bowl when you can get it to respond and fly consistent. Hence I have not done any body dragging. This is the rout that I chose to go. Soon I will have to scavenge up some money for lessons, but until that I will continue to fly both kites, and hopefully get my next kite soon. I think the most important thing is whatever you fly, have it fixed in your brain how to get that kite out of the sky the safest and fastest way possible. Oh and be patient.
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Teabag

Post by Teabag »

Didnt mean to be rude / un diplomatic, but I just want to make sure that he doesn’t do the same mistake I did back in 2002 and waste valuable time for almost no progression. (I was trying to learn on a small 9m kite from 2002-2007, not knowing that everything was soo difficult because I didn’t have enough power)

Not knowing that he already had 20-25 hours practice on a trainer kite under his belt, we all failed in correcting his original question:

--> I'd like to go out on 'lighter' wind days at Island View for instance to practice flying perhaps doing some body drags even...?? Thoughts..??

Telling / suggesting him to buy a 5m6m7m8m to fly on land is a waste of money and time at his level (20h-25h trainer kite + 12m C kite). We weren’t aware of his trainer exp, this is why we all suggested more on land training.

There is not much more he can gain in flying a kite from a “static” position (after flying a trainer 20+ hours). So we should emphasize on changing the“perhaps doing some body drag” part to “practice body dragging, this is your next step” (if he did practice safety release/aware safety rescue/do and dont/landing/launching, etc...). Just a call for injury if we suggest him to practice with a 6m/7m/8m kite on land...

Dale and OtLunch are right with: its better waiting for lessons, IV not a friendly beach, could be gusty when wind is strong and has a slippery grass area. But we are all human and hitching to go out... And IV can be quite safe in light wind, especially when launching on the beach, kite towards water.

Now, in order to bodydrag upwind @ IV for a 210 lbs on a 14m/15m/16m/, you need ~ 14kts – 19kts.
(handheld windometer from beach which correspond with IV reading station).

If he only have a 10m, he will need more something like18kts-23kts. Which is no big deal either, but the thing at 18-23kts is that usually the wind will be more unstable, could have some 24-26kts gust in it which once again no big deal but more chance of accidental kiteloop than on a slow big kite.

What Eric said about underpower: “they don't have the experience to know that it's not their fault“ is so true, and it will be harder for him to know if there is simply not enough power on his 10m to bodydrag upwind than he will be able to tell on his 14m/15m/16m... On top of that ocean will be almost flat at this wind speed.

No wonder why I gave up trying to body drag upwind from 2002-2007. I had a 9m AR5 naish, Jordon had a 10m Wipika Airblast; It was super easy for him, I couldnt at all... (I weighted 190lbs back then, he 160lbs) No wonder... Then in 2008 Dale always gave me shit about my board leash(thanks Dale by the way), so I re tried body dragging upwind @ Nitinaht and it was so easy. Was it because I had more experience? No. It s because I had a big enough kite for my weight, a 12m.

Accidental kiteloop, or continuous “dead spiral” (kite line stuck on the bar in such a way that the bar is stuck @ 180) is more dangerous on a 10m normal power than on a 15m over power due to the number of loops the kite is going to do in a period of time. It happened to me @ cook st on a 15m 50% depower strap (aproximately 24kts-25kts), the kite did 3 kiteloops before I succeed in untangling the bar (yes I could have easily pull safety release but choose not to since these kite loop were slow I could anticipate the next one and try to untangle the bar/line in the short“somewhat lull”of these kiteloop.

Yes the power generated from these kiteloop was very strong, my back hurt afterwards. But I was very happy that I was on the 15m as oppose to the 10m, the kite would have loop a lot faster, I wouldnt have had time to try untangling the line stuck to the bar, and would probably had difficulty pulling on the safety release since it would have been a “quick” non stop looping, not giving me any brake.

Good on you Reuben to sell your used kites that cheap for someone else to learn on. Not sure if Bobson still read this but if you do, ask Reuben if you can exchange your 8m for his 14m Eclipse Thruster, they are similar price anyway.
JL

Post by JL »

Slats: Keep it simple: stash a trainer kite in your car and take your spare time flying it until lessons are available at Nick Nack or some other consistant wind location. use jet ski assisted lessons from a respected school and possibly even radio helmet... forget all the big kite/small kite and sketchy launch sites dialogue and just learn in the best and safest conditions with the right equipment. - Saturday March 02, 12:33PM
Toesidet: i am a big fan of the light wind bigger kite set up for learning/teaching. The 16 is so slow, it gives the learner more forgiveness in bar control, and the kite wont whip through the window the 'wrong' way like an eight would. - Saturday March 02, 12:04PM
Thermals are good.
Bobson
Website Donor
Website Donor

kting lessons

Post by Bobson »

Okay, taking the 8,10m rises to Parksville this weekend with a friend. Hopefully a light NW will be there as well. Get some time on the beach away from the crowds to get used to flying them. Looking forward to more nice weather and lesson time. Wahoo!!
Good Times,
BOBSON!!
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.