What length harness lines you sailing?

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
richi

Simmer adjustable 22-28

Post by richi »

Hey Keith, I just ordered a few sets of these, if your anywhere near kits this week, you can pick up a set to try. I usually run my lines around 28, buts it nice to be able to adjust to changing conditions, flat or waves. If you like them, you can just paypal me what I paid for them and I'll order another set.
Cheers. Richi. rbasabe at yahoo.com

http://www.loopeewindsurfing.com/Simmer ... stable.htm
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

Agree with pretty much everything said. I've gone 26" to 28" and now trying 30" on my smaller rigs (Dakine fixed). Stuck with 28" on my bigger free ride gear because that feels about right, but I wanted to see what slightly longer would do in windier/wavy conditions.

Only caveat that some may not know is that DAKINE LINES ARE NOT STANDARD LENGTH when compared to North, Pryde and other manufacturers. There is apparently a 4" difference, so when guys like Pritchard and Cribb are talking 28-30" that would be 32-34" Dakines.

Here is a link with that info: http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/docum ... 0lines.pdf
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

i read that too - but both my chinook and dakine lines measure 28" as stated on the tag. maybe they fixed the issue.
KC7777

Lines

Post by KC7777 »

I'm with dwd on this one. I even measured my 22" Dakine lines to 22" Chinook lines. They are pretty much the same.

Pics prove it. So just stop. This sport is confusing enough.

Probly going with a couple pairs of 26" Dakines to see how that goes.

Rich - emailed you on the Simmer adj lines thx.

K
Attachments
201306130002.jpg
201306130002.jpg (185.19 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
201306130001.jpg
201306130001.jpg (144.67 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
201306130003.jpg
201306130003.jpg (261.03 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

well, the MFC ones are 1.5 inches shorter :lol:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Aww, wook at do's wittle twenty toos! They're so cute when they're babies. When they grow up they're gonna be 30s. :lol:
Poultry in motion
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Cool people ride 26's and the white dakines are way more trick compared to chinook ugliness.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

True the white Dakines are stylish and easy to hook into when sailing in the dark. but the blinding white can be irritating on a sunny day and impossible to see in a snowstorm. I like to run the more earthy toned Chinook on the sunny side of my rig and a Dakine on the shady side. 26" is for gimps though.
Geoffy

Post by Geoffy »

I like the DaKines - they were designed by someone who does not sail in order to take chunks out of your skin! Nice colour though, and other than the knife-edged stiff velcro :? , they work really well.
We windsurf - life must be good!
GWIND

Goo ga .....

Post by GWIND »

Windocator, you got that baby talk thing down good. 8)

Oh yea, I just went to 26 in. Now I am a gimp. Great :cry:
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

sorry GW i only meant to keep the great line debate raging along. no need to bring out the sad face.
KC7777

26 lines

Post by KC7777 »

Hey

Some pairs of 26's ordered and on the way.....the trick white dakines ones.

I am sure they will help me with the only 2 "tricks" I know....waterstarts and port jibes.

K
KC7777

26" lines

Post by KC7777 »

Hi,

Sailed the 26" lines at Nitinat. Loved them.

At the same time, as I was going from Dakine 22" lines to Dakine 26" lines I moved my boom up 2" and I also put my mast base back 5cm (to 130cm from tail from 135cm from tail = center of recommended for the Fanatic).

This put my boom at shoulder height, but I am still able to easily hook in with the 26"'s.

One reason I had never moved my boom higher up before is that I needed it lower to hook into the short 22" lines (I even sailed 18" before that). I used to move the mast foot forward as I was also concerned if the boom was off the back of the board as I used to rest the boom on the board tail to waterstart.

Funny thing is with a higher boom and mast base back (centered at 130cm from tail) my starboard jibes improved considerably (I could always nail port jibes)....and I did not have any issue with the boom being off the tail once when waterstarting.

Most of the tips came from Guy Cribb.....longer lines, move boom up (and off the back of the board). It works.

K
Last edited by KC7777 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
G-Daddy

Post by G-Daddy »

I meant to reply to DWD a while back. Dakine lines are definitely shorter then North and Pryde. I was using 26" Dakines a few years ago, and when I bought some new North booms I ordered 28" lines for them thinking I would bump up in length. I took the gear to Nitnat and hit the water and it felt like I couldn't reach my boom....

When I got home I measured and found them 4" longer then the Dakines. I thought it was a manufacturing error and returned them to North for a credit. Later I found the Cribb article and realized that was normal. I think North+Pryde measure true line length only, while Dakine is total line length (lines plus attachment points to boom). Hence the 4" difference.

When I sent back the North lines I replaced them with 28" Dakines. This spring I bumped the lines for my three smaller sails to 30". Now that I'm getting used to the 30" lines, the 28" ones I still have on my two bigger freeride sails are starting to feel too short. I'm thinking of going 32" on my small kit next year and transferring the 30"s.

Agree with KC about the high boom, I'm always in the upper part of the cutout. Usually at 3/4s up.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: 26" lines

Post by KUS »

KC7777 wrote:Most of the tips came from Guy Cribb.....longer lines, boom up (and off the back of the board). It works.
Owwh now come ON dood, who's this Cribb guy, he should stick with cards :roll: ..... I have been singing this song to you til in your sleep, KC :!: :lol: yeah, it works alright :wink:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....