Storm Riding, YOU and ME!!

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
PeterG

Drysuit stories

Post by PeterG »

I can vouch for older drysuits certainly being a hazard.

We all called those Helly Hansen suits death bags. I bought mine for icy cold Ontario but blew the zipper in the summer in Squamish. I was in the river and the thing completely filled up with water to the point where I had to light wind water start in 30 knots. I slogged to shore, probably weighing 300+ pounds and the water was absolute ice at that time of year. I'm certainly glad I was only out in it for about one minute.

I compromised and got the O'Neill Hybrid suit. It limits the bag by having neoprene right up to your upper waist. It then has nylon around the chest and shoulders which is nice because you can layer under it and stay warm. I've broken down in it at Boundary Bay and not had any problems but I didn't separate from my gear. It's okay for swimming but not great. I wouldn't use it in open ocean but Acadia, BB or the Gorge in winter are fine.

BTW - bring on 50 knots! That's what the wife's gear is for ;). And Porteau Cove outflow gets very chilly.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Re: Storm Riding, YOU and ME!!

Post by KUS »

KUS wrote:Another 50+ knot fall/winter storm makes me write yet another post....mostly to make ME feel better that I have done the right thing. I note the message board in regard to people rigging kites far too large and wonder about certain people’s expertise and why they think they are ready for such conditions. I see tiny kites out flown by guys who have a year’s experience. I see experts and advanced riders without safety gear or a kiting buddy. People trying spots for the first time without asking questions. Guys getting huge air yet there is driftwood and as on Sunday a sunken deadhead right in the break that would only be visible a few seconds before submerging....easily missed. Riders going too far out....I violated that the other day, Hypocrite YES, but at least I know the area, the water was warm, the wind low.

My message is simple. Please: take care! Know your limits, nothing to do with balls.

-Just cuz another rider can manage high winds doesn’t mean you can and you could be surprised what mom nature can dish out
-Shit happens and anyone can break stuff but in those conditions you cannot expect mercy
-Winter winds are very different from summer thermals...u ready for an instant 15-20knot jump in windspeed?
-Cold water temperatures only become a real factor once you spend more than a few seconds in the water, before that everyone’s toasty in their shitty ripped 4:3 or torn drysuit
-A drysuit, BTW, is a body bag once you have to swim or have a tear
-Practice self rescue in heavy seas and you will find out you may actually die out there given a couple of compounding problems
-Be ready to donate your expensive gear to save your ass.

Nobody can help us at times!! Not in time anyway. We must rely on ourselves! I will of course worry and perhaps try to respond to people in trouble. I have a little hope others might do it for me.....Watching a kite getting worked during a landing the other day was one of those situations.....do I run to the beach and help?....can I get there in time?....what’s the right thing to do? ....will I ruin my session to try and help and then it turns out to be nothing? Why is that guy's sail not popping up, should I check it out? Wow that sure was a high jump, hope after that slammed landing he's ok.....Did he eat the boom or twist the kite inside out?

MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT IT: You put pressure on ME when you are out there and if things go wrong. I feel, whether you like it or not, responsible to watch out for YOU. Therefore my expectation with fellow riders is this:

-You better be advanced or an expert in storm winds.
-Yes, how else can you learn but by trying it....but work your way up the scale! 30 knots is light years from 40 knots, which is again a whole lot different than 50+
-You better double check your gear before going out
-If you don’t have the right size....guess what....ya don’t go!
-Know the tide and expected winds, while expecting the fcast to be wrong
-Have some form of floatation within your gear that doesn’t deflate, lose buoyancy, even if broken
-As a kiter you should have a buddy to help launch and land if water edge is sketchy. The rip rap or logmachine can kill or maim you easily.

But here is some personal stuff for those nutso days:
-I expect you to wear your helmet or at least hood, impact vest, any other usual safety gear including hi viz/reflective strips, flashy colors as possible, carry a spare line/rope,....it may end up not even helping you but at least you cut down the risk a bit
-I expect you leave space below the wave and lots of room riding, don’t point up below riders to be able to say "hello", it’s nice but it’s a problem. Don’t follow people out right in their wake. Don’t boost air anywhere upwind.... Gear goes flying uncontrollably and so can you.....I WILL get pissed.
-It’s great to share a wave....in 25 knots maybe....not at 40+
-Once winds go nuclear you may have real trouble and it happens fast!

HERE IS THE CLINCHER: I will feel shitty if something happens to you while I am out there and will carry it with me for the rest of my life if you, heaven forbid, kill yourself!! You owe caution to me and vice versa cuz we are in this together!! Posting this is ALL I CAN DO and you can tell me to go suck on it......fine. I just thought you should know! :idea:
once again there it is :!: checked my gear the other day: boom clamp bolt had backed off past thread lock holding by a couple of threads :shock: installed new down haul and outhaul spectra (4mm racing line available at Trotac), quad center finscrew chinese brass washer had stripped, stainless screw just pulled thru. Checked u-joint and chose to rotate older one out. Dug out hi viz overcoat for more warmth/visibility to avoid getting run over in the break...what have you done lately?
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
jim mckenzie

Post by jim mckenzie »

lifejacket?
JL

Post by JL »

A helmet is a good idea. Impact vests or life jackets can save you from cracked ribs. ( I've seen 2 competent kiters come off the water dazed & confused already @ I.V. this fall ). You never know when it's going to go all wrong. Kite launchers: If it seems like the kiter has rigged too large a kite or isn't focused DON'T LAUNCH :twisted: Ensure the kiter has someone holding on to there harness @ launch if it's squirrly. ( DON'T RELEASE THEM UNTIL THEY ARE @ THE WATER OR TELL YOU THAT THE KITE IS UNDER CONTROL). Warn kiters of hazards prior to launch :shock: I.V.: Slippery grass, power lines, logs to step over en-route to beach (consider setting up on beach IF It IS AVAILABLE) , innocent bystanders & gnarly shore pound with yet more logs :? Returning to shore consider punching out if conditions have deteriorated :idea: http://bigwavedave.ca/gallery/displayim ... play_media
Last edited by JL on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thermals are good.
winddude

Post by winddude »

jim mckenzie wrote:lifejacket?
Bad idea. Limits manouverabilit, most you cant wear a harness, can't swim after your gear if you loose it. So unless you're riding jaws leave it for jet skiing or maybe kiting... I dunno.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

I was down at IV watching Marty and Colin launch today with an awesome entourage of skilled help. Sure makes it safer with others watching out and double checking systems. Nicely done, Mark, JL, and BA! Those were serious conditions with big consequences.
Poultry in motion
CTK

Post by CTK »

hopefully sat. brings some more wind. Think I will get out in my first storm session in a LLLOOONNNGGG time.
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

winddude wrote:
jim mckenzie wrote:lifejacket?
Bad idea. Limits manouverabilit, most you cant wear a harness, can't swim after your gear if you loose it. So unless you're riding jaws leave it for jet skiing or maybe kiting... I dunno.
i have none of these issues with my mystic impact vest. only negatives are it's sometimes overly warm, and when i'm done it's tough to squirm out of. 8) i'm a big fan of the impact vest for winter sailing, you can crash from way high up and not worry about winding yourself knocking ribs outta place. :D
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Yeah but not everyone has your perfect hourglass figure and strong jaw line which allow for such an uncompromising fit.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
duckbill

Post by duckbill »

This is a great topic i went through my gear and found my weakest link to safety was my wetsuit, so yesterday i bought a toasty wintersuit that even has a marino wool lining. Can't wait to get out in todays high(and chilly) winds. Also be aware of who is on the beach and what they are rigging. If there is a new guy or gal in the parking lot introduce your self offer up some local knowledge that might make there session better or even save them from a bad incident. Its a solo sport but when things get knarly we are all in it together.
like a duck to water
JL

Post by JL »

Neoprene =Level 1 insurance . Best to have a hood. 8)
Thermals are good.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Now that we have the Woo people are trying to go big for record jumps. Awesome I wish I was there to join you guys. Don't get caught rigging too big so you can make that big jump. Kites can only handle so much wind. If you go out in too much wind your depower as well as your safety systems may not work that well(if at all). You, your gear or both are going to get trashed. The record jump is going to come off of a big wave, rigging big in 40+kn is just going to get you hurt.
winddude

Post by winddude »

Heres is an interesting article on <a href="/http://magicseaweed.com/news/drowning-w ... ">drowning and cpr</a> from MSW.

My understanding is technique isn't as important as they used to stress, but its been awhile since I've done a course.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
JL

Post by JL »

It's seemingly professional articles like this: http://www.stagnonekitesurf.com/en/kite ... recedenze/ that cause problems :? Multiple misconceptions about right of way :evil:
Thermals are good.
JL

Post by JL »

Thermals are good.