First trip to Nitnat, what do I need to know?

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Aboba

First trip to Nitnat, what do I need to know?

Post by Aboba »

I'm headed out to Nitnat for lessons with Marty on the 12th/13th. I've searched around a bit about camping up there, but I was hoping to get some additional questions answered.

A) How much is it per night?
B) I'm bringing water, food, tp and standard camping supplies. Anything else?
C) Is there a boat launch and is it even safe to bring a boat along the road out?
D) Is there internet available in the town this year?
E) What don't I know to ask about?

Cheers
Digital427

Nitnat

Post by Digital427 »

A) the going rate is 15 per night in the back part or 17 on or by the beach. That being said collections have been pretty sporadic as per usual. TP replacement has also been pretty iffy.

B)nope pretty normal but if you forgot something it's an hour (at least) drive on the logging road to buy it.

C)there is a launch that looks pretty good. Never used it myself. Safe is all relative to your trailer and how you drive it. I'm looking at you Chris (Honkey). It's a logging road. I drag a 25' travel trailer up and down a few times a summer....

D)lol, yeah. sometimes. Maybe.

E)Hows the bears this year? Not bad, seen a few. Keep the food out of your tent and you'll be fine.
Do i need a wetsuit? yeah necessary equipment when learning up there. It's still not that warm up there and it'll make your day mucho better.
Aboba

Post by Aboba »

What about medical supplies? Is there any sort of emergency response locally or should I drag out my full med kit just in case.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Are you planning on getting hurt?
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Aboba

Post by Aboba »

I never plan to get hurt, but I would like there to be a plan for if I do. If it's not externally supplied, I will do it myself.
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

How many folks are there? e.g. are you constantly dodging other sailors on the weekends? Are there at least a couple other sailors during the week-day? Sorry to be so ignorant :) :( [I might be able to make an overnight trip during the week.]
Digital427

Nitnat

Post by Digital427 »

EMT is a Helicopter ride if you did a really good job or a very uncomfortable (i know from experience) 1.5hr car ride to the hospital in Duncan. So Bring your med kit. Having said that there are 3-4 doctors that are regularly kiting there so you might get lucky and at least get some of the good drugs right away... i wasnt that lucky.
Digital427

Nitnat

Post by Digital427 »

tBrown, Up till now its been light on crowds 10-15 kites on week days. 20+ on weekends. From now till september that can be triple. Having said that, it's a big lake. If you can get upwind well you can get out of traffic pretty quick.

See Kus' post about the road conditions http://bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7111
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

and don't forget there are at least 0.2 windsurfers out there for every kite too! :lol:
have a good time, don't forget your bongoes!
KC7777

Nat

Post by KC7777 »

Hey,

Just spent 4 days there....so relaxing. Rig a 6.0, 5.2, and 4.7 and you are done.

2 coolers is nice.....one for beer and one for food.

Internet at store $3/day....its fun trying to guess what the new password is (he changes it 3-4 times a day). No real food there except candy and chips.

This year I brought a quilt for naps on the beach. Epic.

A SUP is nice for mornings when wind not blowing.

Bongoes best if hooked up to an amp and played from midnight to 2 am.

Bring a ukelele or guitar.

KC
Digital427

Windsurfers

Post by Digital427 »

Yeah, sry i forgot. There is the occasional windsurfer too. Although i think 20% is a little generous :wink:
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Any more details might as well not go, absolutely no adventure or personal experience left for a trip :roll: is there any spice in life if you know everything ahead of time?
Bring Bearspray and someone who can't run as fast as you but knows how to camp cook 😎
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
KC7777

Nat

Post by KC7777 »

I recommend Kus spray as well. He is attracted by cold beer.
mortontoemike

Post by mortontoemike »

It wasn't that cold ....
I wish my TOW was longer!
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

DOn't forget your towel!