School me on wave SUPs

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

School me on wave SUPs

Post by Gdawg »

Call out to those in the know (BWD, Namoo, Windoc etc.) for some equipment advice. I'm looking to buy a proper dedicated surfing SUP this winter. I'm a fair-to-middling shortboard surfer and have put in time on a variety of bigger SUPs - 9'x30" being the smallest. I'm about 195lbs in winter rubber (side note - actually putting that figure into writing has provoked some deep personal reflection about my dietary choices - perhaps one should no longer eat cookies for dinner when almost 40yrs old....). I've got a Starboard Whopper - 10.5' x 34" as a runabout/lake/surf-with-the-kids board - so what I'm looking for is purely for surf. 80% N. Chesterman / 20% S. Island. Any idea what dimensions guys of my weight class are surfing on?
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

:oops: I vaguely recalled that there was a thread on this but the only one I could find was the one on flatwater SUPs, so I figured I was mistaken. Stand by while I absorb the collective wisdom which has already been discussed in these other threads.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

You should come out one S. island day when we are all out and try a buffet of boards. That would be the ideal way to decide. I'm your size and I'm on a 92L board, but that might not be for everybody.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

did you like the 9' at all? i used a big yello one for a year then picked up a 8'5" which i like much mo'. 8) if you are shopping used starboards get yourself an old catalog or check on line because the volumes are all over the place for any given size. for example the 8' 5" can be 125l (pocket rocket) down to 106l (last years pro).
Ned

Post by Ned »

I sold my 11'2 Starboard Blend this summer. Loved catching waves on it, and then I tried to turn and it wasn't really possible :)

I had a blast at North Chesterman's this past weekend on a 9'6 Glide. It is a whopping 185 litres. Ridiculously easy to stand on and catch waves. That said I can only imagine it is a heck of a lot faster and more fun to get on some waves with something smaller.

I had a go with an 8'8" SIC Fish the weekend before, which is 110 litres. I could barely stay standing unless I was using the paddle to keep moving. That said the surf was tiny where we were and nobody was catching anything really.

At 145 lbs, I guess I should be looking at something under 9'0 for sure if I buy? As much fun as I had on the Glide, I would love to catch a ride or two on something smaller and see just how much better it is.

Unlike most of you guys, I don't have windsurf or surf background, just kiting. I'd like to think that won't hold me back too much though.

So... how small do I go for the first winter?
KC7777

sUP

Post by KC7777 »

Listen to Tony.....he is useful.

I SUP'd about 12 days this year in Tofino. Summer waves. Nothing over 5-6'.

I went from from not catching any waves in mid July to catching pretty much everything on my 145L 8'10"x31" Fanatic AllWave by mid Sept.

145L actually feels big now....after feeling small at first. The 31" wide is not that maneuverable....or that may just be me...I am not much of a surfer.

I now weigh <165lbs (naked....how much do wetsuits weigh?)......started the year at 180+(fat!).....SUP'd most of the summer at around 170-175lbs?

I am going to get something in the 110-120L range for next year. And keep the 145L Allwave.

Keith
Last edited by KC7777 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

"So... how small do I go for the first winter?"

Go as small as your personal fun/frustration ratio will allow. At 145 lbs a Starboard 7.7 or 7.4 will be in reach no problem with some water time. I'm 205 lbs plus all the extra rubber and can juuuuust paddle the 7.7 in chop, but the 8.0 110L Pro is my only board currently. I think height is a bigger issue for stability. For a given weight of rider, a taller rider will need a wider board (or more skill/balance) for the same level of stability a shorter rider will get.
Poultry in motion
Gdawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gdawg »

Sounds like 8' ish x 105L ish is what I'm looking for. I'll let you know how it goes.
Ned

Post by Ned »

First I was thinking that chopping a whole 2 feet off to move to about a 9.0 to 9.6 range would be plenty. Sounds like I should just keep going smaller!

I'm thinking somewhere around 8.5 to 8.8 would be good. I'll be happy if I get a dozen days in by spring realistically, 20 would be phenomenal. I'm guessing that is pretty close to the fun/frustration ratio I want to hit...

Going smaller again is ok by me if I progress that fast.

Anyone got any further recommendations?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Winddocs advice is bang on. Maximum fun occurs at the point where frustration level and size intersect. On one side you're cruising a yacht bored, and on the other you are cursing everything in sight including the cute, nearby sea otter.

Two more things, every inch you drop, especially in width makes a profound difference. Going from 28" to 27" in my mind was a 33% boost in performance. Width also plays less of an effect on stability once the volume drops past a point. For instance I find the 7'10" x 30" airborne to be quite similar in stability to my 7'7" x 27" of slightly lower volume.

Careful to only look at volume, rocker is very important. A higher volume, high rocker board (like a Naish hokua) can be much less stable compared to a lower volume, typically flatter rockered starboard.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
downwind dave
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by downwind dave »

one forum that has a ton of info on surfing sups is seabreeze
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stan ... le/Review/
you can find a discussion on almost any board.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Well if I get out again soon I will have to try some 8.0 to 8.6 or so sized boards and see how it goes.

Where did everyone get their boards?
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Happy to provide you with the Quatro new wave SUP line, so popular they are awaiting new November shipment 8)

My new 143l Glide is on order, sounds like you are already a carve line candidate.

Reviews on Seabreeze :!: ...actually has it all and more :D
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stan ... atro-SUPs/
Last edited by KUS on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
ToesideT

Post by ToesideT »

Get something big so you can SUP the peak at Columbia when its happening. Kus will give you a big hug.