Jericoacoara

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Jericoacoara

Post by tempy »

Has anyone been to Jeri, and if so, do you have any travel tips? Mrs Tempy wants to go somewhere both she and I can have fun and she likes the look of Jeri - suitably exotic enough but still with the amenities of the good life and a very long sandy beach (as opposed to the reefs she has tangled with in the past). Thanks in advance.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

You could try to PM Aaron (AaronC), you might have met him a handful of times a few years ago before he moved over to the mainland. He spent a winter there with the Solystiaks I believe.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Thanks, will do. There is also a smaller spot to the east of Jeri - Icaraizinho - that looks a little less busy. flat water and small waves on the inside with some outer reef for larger waves.
Windsurfish

Jeri etc

Post by Windsurfish »

We are seriously thinking of a trip there in ~August. It's peak season here, but also very windy there. When is Mrs Tempy debating a trip?
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Realistically 2016 - with a fairly open timeframe. If you go we can benefit from the updated insider info!
winddude

Post by winddude »

I lived in Brazil in Icaraizhino for a few months over a couple of seasons, about an hour south of Jeri, so I can give some insights.

I would say check out both spots, Icarai and Jeri, and maybe camocim, if you're going all that way.

Yes peak season for travel in Jeri is August to October. Best waves I found were end of Nov, through December, once you get to early January winds drop a few knots, and rainy season approaches. I sailed every single day, in 20-25knots, Jeri was usually a few more than Icarai.

Jeri has a night life, but the water is packed. Waves aren't big in Jeri, but kind of fun. I found them a bit with the wind compared to Icaria where they break over a reef making perfect ramps, but not as long of rides.

Just about anywhere in Jeri has good food, and tons of pousadas to stay in. Tons of great food in Icarai to, accommodation is a bit more limited, Wind Icarai has an amazing all you can eat bbq every Tuesday, and https://www.facebook.com/BrazilianCrew has the best spot right in front of the break.

English is very limited, there's some French, but try to learn as much Brazilian Portuguese before you go.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
winddude

Post by winddude »

tempy wrote:Thanks, will do. There is also a smaller spot to the east of Jeri - Icaraizinho - that looks a little less busy. flat water and small waves on the inside with some outer reef for larger waves.
The flat lagoon is only during low tide, as the reef creates a lagoon, happens once a day. But in high tide, that area is in a large wind shadow, so your only option is sailing over the reef, waves are usually waiste to chest high. If you sail up a few minutes wind there's some bigger waves, but you are also sailing between fishing traps, "wooden posts". The waves up there are also a bit steeper and perfect for working on backies. Both are flat inside so there's enough time to get speed and hit ramps full tilt, and no shore break to deal with.
Must ... Sail... More...
winddude

Post by winddude »

Here's my best recollection of the spots in Icarai. The wind sort of follows the shore. It's generally a bit side off, and side on at the upwind break, which is a bit more upwind then shown in this pic. There are a few rows of fishing traps separating the two breaks. Ignore the typo in the graphic. lol
Attachments
Wind and spot map of Icaraizhino de Amontada, Brazil
Wind and spot map of Icaraizhino de Amontada, Brazil
icarai.jpg (151.33 KiB) Viewed 1983 times
Must ... Sail... More...