What is the secret to riding unhooked?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
nanmoo

What is the secret to riding unhooked?

Post by nanmoo »

I want to find a open bit of water and start giving this a shot soon. My main objective with kiting is to take it to the waves, and I think unhooked is better? I've seen some youtube videos and read some posts, but the advice is usually pretty fractured and incomplete, at least what I have found. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
Don't forget to bring a towel!
Ned

Post by Ned »

Lots of people in both camps. For the most part, wave riders are now staying hooked, but a lot of that (I think, personally) has to do with how the aerial side of strapless has become so advanced the last 2-3 years.

In terms of learning to unhook... just point the board downwind and commit to unhooking the kite. Expect a LOT of bar pressure, especially as soon as you start to ride upwind at all.

Also, be sure to trim the kite a bit beforehand, especially if you are flying something like a Razor - it will want to stall if you do not, as you are now effectively flying with the bar 100% sheeted in at all times.

Good luck, and don't forget to double and triple check your leash before you unhook!
rocdoc

Post by rocdoc »

Have you checked out Ben Wilson`s instructional videos?

Like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gf4odL ... el&list=UL
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Unhooking was the thing to do 5 or more years ago. I agree with Ned, not so common now.

I believe the main reason is that kites drift so well now that there's no need. It was about riding the wave, not the kite, so you unhook once on the wave, surf it, then hook back in at end. But if you can park the kite and it has little pull, not all that necessary.

I think the other contributor is sliding hook harnesses (dynabar). Or just using rope with a slider or metal ring. This opens up your hips, so that the kite's pull is side to side, not just in the middle.

Ben Willson is the man though ... that's the best video I know of if you want to go there.

[the other reason for unhooking is to do "wakestyle" jumping ... and despite your protests you know you are being irresistibly drawn there, just like Luke and the Dark Side :twisted: :twisted: ]
Eazyas

Post by Eazyas »

Figure I could throw in a couple pointers here.

Start by riding hooked in and trim your kite so you can ride comfortably with your bar sheeted all the way in so it is against your chicken loop. Once you feel okay with the power there, pop out the donkey dick, point your board downwind, unhook and ride towards your kite. Keep riding towards the kite, hook back in and carry on.

A good tip would be to keep your arms close to your body and not to let the kite pull them straight. Also keep your kite at 45 degrees as it is easier to steer it when unhooked.

Progression also has a good video on learning to unhook. This one is ok too https://youtu.be/2KPVRcQx7IM

Hope that helps
Ethan
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

juandesooka wrote:the other reason for unhooking is to do "wakestyle" jumping ... and despite your protests you know you are being irresistibly drawn there, just like Luke and the Dark Side :twisted: :twisted:
It pains me to admit you're right.

Thanks for the info, I'll check those videos.
smartang

Post by smartang »

Forget about riding unhooked and go somewhere you can stand in waist deep water in lighter winds. 10-15 knots. Hook the leash up to either the chicken loop itself or a non-kill line safety.

Trim the kite until the back lines are just getting tight when you sheet in all the way. Pull out the dick. Both hands on the center of the bar and unhook. Let your arms extend naturally, if the kite pulls you then hook back in and trim a little more.

Learn to unhook for long periods of time. Fly the kite slowly back and forth. Let go of the bar and learn to climb the leash back to the chicken loop. Then holding only the chicken loop (not the bar) hook back in. You can also fly a kite holding the bar with one hand and the chicken loop in the other hand (which allows you to depower the kite). Instructors are very good at this.

Once you've got a good number of hours flying the kite around unhooked then all the rest comes much more easily while riding. Since you'll have the muscle memory to hook back in quickly if overpowered or after a wipeout.

No point in unhooking on Tofino waves since the angles usually aren't right for letting the kite drift down the line anyway.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Watched all the vids and I think I'm ready to give it a go next lake session 8) :shock: :?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

With a razor and below bar trim, where do I attach my leash on the bar when unhooking? There seems to be a lot of debate about this on the internet. Also, should I only attach the leash to the back of my harness if I get to the handle pass stage, or do people use that for regular riding too? (Using an OR harness).
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

You don't ever unhook for a long time. You unhook, do your trick, hook back in. Or you ride your wave then hook back in. Don' ride around unhooked :roll: Trim your kite down about 6-10". Keep it at 1030 or 130, bear off to unhook, load and pop, do your jump then land downwind and hook in. If it pulls too much grab the chicken loop and hook back in. Make sure you are going suicide leash and the wind is not too strong. Hook the leash just above the chicken loop around your trim lines.
Atomic-Chomik
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Atomic-Chomik »

Just stick to rollerblading bro!