Propane firepits ALLOWED at Nitnat

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
UnusuallyLargeRobin
Website Donor
Website Donor

Propane firepits ALLOWED at Nitnat

Post by UnusuallyLargeRobin »

There was some confusion expressed in another post about whether portable propane firepits were allowed at Nitnat. I have received email (Jul 6/15) from the Mid-Island Fire Zone people responsible for Nitnat area, confirming they ARE ALLOWED, see quote below:

"date: Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM
subject: Re: Propane campfires at Nitinaht Campsite?

Provided the propane campfire follows the parameters outlined below from our recent info bulletin, it will be in compliance with the current prohibition. Please continue to refer to our website for updates.

"This prohibition does not apply to CSA-rated or ULC-rated cooking stoves that use gas, propane or briquettes, or to a portable campfire apparatus that uses briquettes, liquid fuel or gaseous fuel, so long as the height of the flame is less than 15 centimetres. The Coastal Fire Centre previously allowed the use of briquettes in established campfire rings in campgrounds, but as of noon on Thursday<x>, briquettes may be used only in ULC-approved or CSA-approved devices, due to the extreme fire danger."

Alan Berry RFT
Office: 250-951-4224
Cell: 250-927-5233
<mailto>"
Me: 85kg(187lbs)
FoilBoards: Fanatic 5'0 SkyWing(75lt);
Wings:Duotone v2 Unit 4.0, 5.5m; v3 Unit 3.0
Foils:Axis HPS1050(1460cm2),PNG1150(1713cm2),HA1000(1310cm2); Rears 370,425p,Skinny365/55; Fuses: ultra, adv.crazy black; Mast:90cm 19mm Alu
GWIND

Gov

Post by GWIND »

Thanks. Large Robin
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Drought of the century....We are as fire ban as fire ban gets (way too freaking lame and late) and three morons in the rental site at a lake in lake Cowichan next to me have just lit a fire...has everyone lost it? Never had it? Jeeeeez GET A GRIP on reality here, can the flames idiots :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
GWIND

You

Post by GWIND »

Don't wine. Report them ![/list]
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I was expressing anger, outrage, concern :roll: not sure due to ESL challenges but I don't think whining is the same thing...
Last edited by KUS on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wish less, sail more!!

banjohips

Post by banjohips »

You should report them, it's unbelievable that someone would even think of lighting a fire right now.
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I disagree. The fire ban is intended for assholes and idiots who can't help themselves. For the responsible folk lighting small fires, with water or retardant handy, it's just plain silly. How many times has your little well mannered beach fire at Nitinat sparked a forest blaze? It's just a knee jerk policy response, ignoring the disconnect between legit campgrounds and backcountry idiots and/or rednecks. Case in point - head to hood River right now and pull into any state campground, first they'll offer you is a bundle of wood before collecting your fees. I'm fairly confident it is dryer and hotter there, with as much or more fire risk, yet no higher incidence of fire. So are we just stupid?

And in case you don't believe me I'll save you the research. Scroll down to Oregon. http://nwtripfinder.com/2015/07/01/camp ... northwest/
Don't forget to bring a towel!
banjohips

Post by banjohips »

Tony, I hear what you are saying but rules are always for the
lowest common denominator and seriously there some roughly 180some fires burning in the province, not sure how that's knee jerk... I know I havent seen the sun in 4 days
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

I just don't think setting rules for the lowest common denominator affects change much except for those who are responsible and no longer get to have fun. As they say, idiots gonna idiot.

Anyways, IMHO if I see someone breaking the rules but being responsible (like say, beside the ocean) I don't think I'd be in any hurry to get upset about it.
tbrown

Post by tbrown »

and if you don't set the rules so you have a tool to use against the idiots, then what?
nanmoo

Post by nanmoo »

Maybe set more reasonable rules like in Oregon, rather than a blanket policy people are just apt to ignore in which case, what's the point.

Like say, fires allowed in fire rings at PP's but no backcountry fires.
GWIND

Stop

Post by GWIND »

Leave Moo alone. He has ODD.
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Yeah, and then I hear that the reason that they've closed all hiking trails in Pt Alberni and Parksville areas is because of fire danger - from cigarette butts :roll: :evil: :evil: So they are closing all trails because of the 5 or 10% of the population that smokes, and the much smaller numbers of those who don't butt out properly???? I do agree with Moo, we have nothing like the fire danger in Hood River area in even a normal summer, and they allow fires in fire rings and I bet would be OK with small beach fires well away from vegetation.
Moderate Wind Mateo

Post by Moderate Wind Mateo »

Well... what ever you do, don't be "that guy" who burnt down Nitnat
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Nat thermal would benefit greatly 8) village and much beloved big trees not so much :? ...the forest fire and drought situation is dire, not seen before, concerns reach a bit beyond the Nat when people's lives and homes are at risk....besides what self respecting person that hikes actually smokes? More than likely ATV / dirt bike riding hicks on designated hiking trails :roll: the cowichan group just routed their marked trail network to go up the Halfway Creek salmon stream bed... at that sophistication level it's not really a surprise the situation is not recognized.....loving the downpour in Lake Cowichan right now, hope the ground can manage to also absorb it :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!