Nitinat Kite Lessons, Launching affecting Park/water users

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

winddude wrote:
more force 4 wrote:access to windsurfing spots is the reason I moved here..
So one kiteboarding instructor, who everyone else thinks does a fine job, is *ruining* your Nitinat experience?

If he continues to *ruin* it, will you go back to the prairies?

Marty the force is strong with you.
these are not the pumps you are looking for....
winddude

Post by winddude »

I've heard complaints from other people about kite instructors and kiters at nitnat and wish more of them would speak up to silence you twats. And to answer your questions... Yes, no and im trying to avoid esculating things. Its simple and clear what part you can't get through your dense fucking skulls, about not running lessons in the windsurf area. Maybe a hammer will help, and by that I of course mean putting up a sign explain not to kite below the tree stump.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
tempy
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by tempy »

Lawrence, it is really unfortunate that you choose to amplify your concerns with personal attacks and profanity - because any real issue/concern is then lost in the rhetoric.

There are issues about the use of the lake that we all need to look at and deal with - but not like this.

My free, unsolicited advice would be that you not allow people to marginalize you or your concerns by giving them the ammunition to declare you a "wingnut" (Apologies to the BWD handle "Wingnut"), and that you rather take up the invitation of Goldenrule and MartyD and others to talk constructively about issues/concerns you have.

Stephen
winddude

Post by winddude »

Thank you, I've tried, I'm trying to talk to them here through bigwavedave, others have tried, but it seems to have no effect. Even the IKO supports what I'm trying to put forward, yet it seems to be an issue for them.
Must ... Sail... More...
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

winddude wrote: not to kite below the tree stump.
Not. A. Chance.

Windsurfers can go wherever you want. Kiters can too.

We try and stay apart, agreed, but that's not a rule. It's a guideline.

What you're proposing means that anyone who drifts into the windsurf 'Barrier' will be told off. Students, people who crash, can't relaunch, people who just want to tour the lake....ALL of these people are going to feel like they did something wrong.

I personally had to kite there while learning how to foil. And now you are telling me that I had no right.

Lawrence, who do you think you are??
Last edited by skywalker on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

You know what, never mind. Its clear that this is an irrational conversation.

I've been trolled.

Damn you internet!!!!
winddude

Post by winddude »

skywalker wrote:
Not. A. Chance.

Windsurfers can go wherever you want. Kiters can too.

We try and stay apart, agreed, but that's not a rule. It's a guideline.

What you're proposing means that anyone who drifts into the windsurf 'Barrier' will be told off. Students, people who crash, can't relaunch, people who just want to tour the lake....ALL of these people are going to feel like they did something wrong.

I personally had to kite there while learning how to foil. And now you are telling me that I had no right.

Lawrence, who do you think you are??

Not everywhere lot's of spots have windsurf only areas, and I'm hugely in favor of that at Nitnat. History and common courtesy of the area dictate that below the stump is a windsurfing area. My bigger concern is the kiteboarding lessons happening around windsurfers and other kiters, not only does it put the student in danger, but other the water users. It's pretty clear when even your own kite associations say this is a strict "NO".
Must ... Sail... More...
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

1- 'Other' kite destinations segregate based on onshore wind. Huge difference from Nitinat. Segregating Upwind/ Downwind with kiters upwind, WILL end up with kiters in the windsurf area.

Unless you want to build a wall. A huge wall. I know walls, and we could make a good wall.

2- If you really want to segregate Nitnat, then windsurfers should stay upwind, as they are far more able to stay upwind than a kite student.

But you can't do that. Why? Because its too far to lug gear. I understand that. That's why you stay down wind, you can park near your launch. Boards are heavy.

The fact is Nitinat can not be segregated. Its a downwind segregation, and the rugged geography doesn't allow windsurfers to stay upwind.

You are going to have to deal with kiters and students in your area.

But sending complaints about Marty to the IKO is childish at best, and malicious, and petty at worst.

My 2 cents - just go to Nimpkish.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Making up stories does not make you right????
During the incident in question we were at the middle to far side of the lake. You buzzed us 10 feet downwind at full plane then crashed in front of us. You yelled at me and told me " my jetski wake was ruining the water texture". I informed you all of the things people are saying now, politely i may add. Only after you continued to yell did I raise my tone so you would hear me over your yelling.
Next tack we tried to give you right of way when you were coming starboard tack. You veered just downwind of us then pinched up to yell something AND COLLIDED WITH MY STUDENT ON PURPOSE
I want to put this away but let's get it straight before more lies are told.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Jeffro Rothenberg from IKO was just up here in May and approved our teaching area and our teaching style. Just for the record.
winddude

Post by winddude »

MartyD wrote:Making up stories does not make you right????
During the incident in question we were at the middle to far side of the lake. You buzzed us 10 feet downwind at full plane then crashed in front of us. You yelled at me and told me " my jetski wake was ruining the water texture". I informed you all of the things people are saying now, politely i may add. Only after you continued to yell did I raise my tone so you would hear me over your yelling.
Next tack we tried to give you right of way when you were coming starboard tack. You veered just downwind of us then pinched up to yell something AND COLLIDED WITH MY STUDENT ON PURPOSE
I want to put this away but let's get it straight before more lies are told.
I had asked you twice politely before this to run your lesson somewhere else, and both times was met with yelling and swearing from you. I did not collide with your student on purpose. I could not make it upwind wind of you and maintaining my course on starboard, and notifying you I had right of way, I attempted to pass downwind of your student, 10 feet is a lot of space, their lines clipped my mast. Perhaps this is the reason there are so many rules around kiteboarding and windsurfing, and why kite instructors aren't supposed to run lessons around windsurfers and other kiters?

In may when the place is almost empty? I'm sure he would have an issue if he saw how you were running lessons on July 3rd.

At the end of the day I shouldn't have even had to tell you once, because you should not have been running your lesson where you where. And as a head instructor it's your responsibility set to set a good example and ensure your other instructors are doing the same.
Must ... Sail... More...
Riderinthestorm

Post by Riderinthestorm »

I think there is an easy solution to the problem. Lawrence should launch up at the river. Its a nice spot and it seems way safer considering he thinks passing 10' downwind of is a safe distance.

Just in case you missed math class you can read up on it here:

www.mathwarehouse.com/geometry/.../how- ... heorem.php

I don't windsurf but i think most masts are longer than 10' and the kite normally sits at a 45 degree of the kiter.

In my opinion the right thing to do on the water, doesn't matter if you are a kiter or windsurfer, is to stay clear of beginners and I am pretty sure that anyone who is not smoking crack will try to avoid a collision at all cost.

Thank you Lawrence for your entertaining posts! :lol:
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

If anybody has an issue with things I am happy to have a civil talk. But making things up is just childish...
Last edited by MartyD on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWIND

Stop

Post by GWIND »

This is all very infantile. This thread should stop now.
Thinking is over rated- Homer Simpson
nanmoo

Re: Stop

Post by nanmoo »

GWIND wrote:This is all very infantile. This thread should stop now.
No no! Entertain us!

Great Windfest, sad to see Winddude didn't make it up to support his favorite event of the year.
Don't forget to bring a towel!