Drone footage of SP on a NW wind

General discussions about windsurfing: equipment, setup tips, problems, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Drone footage of SP on a NW wind

Post by rvanderbyl »

My friend and neighbour Tim Allix, who has a drone photography business, came out to film Sept 27/16. Nice to see a different perspective. Not the best day ever kind of day for wind strength but really good waves for how light the wind was. Can't wait till we get this again....in a year or so. :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3bG73 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by rvanderbyl on Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why aren't YOU out there?
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

Thanks for posting this Ray, that's a really nice perspective. I'm curious, what kind of drone and camera was he using and how strong the wind was? I'm thinking about getting a drone but there aren't a lot that can handle anything over 20 knots.
Last edited by Tsawwassen on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigDog21

Post by BigDog21 »

Thanks for posting Ray. Great to see a view of sailing SP from the air! :D
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

nice video. Fun looking waves on a day that doesn't look all that windy. Great spot on its day.
OtLunch

Post by OtLunch »

Great perspective, thanks for sharing.

- Todd
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Sweeeet :twisted: now u'll need a bigger parking lot :D and a hot tub! :idea:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
rvanderbyl
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by rvanderbyl »

Thanks! Wish I knew I was being filmed. I've got the green light to call Tim next time there's wind so he can arrive with fully charged batteries :idea: To any Kiters who were there, there is the concern of lines that kept cam on me for safety of the drone. Cool thing is once you set the drone to fly at a certain height it's easier to stay out of the range of the mast. Unless the waves are bigger than usual. Wind strength was not an issue on this day barely getting up to maybe 22 knots in the gusts with the steady wind being more like 15-18. So could definitely handle strionger wind. I sent Tim a text so hopefully he will check in here with drone details! 🚁
Last edited by rvanderbyl on Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why aren't YOU out there?
zoomy

Post by zoomy »

Tsawwassen wrote:Thanks for posting this Ray, that's a really nice perspective. I'm curious, what kind of drone and camera was he using and how strong the wind was? I'm thinking about getting a drone but there aren't a lot that can handle anything over 20 knots.
My Drone is DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I don't know for certain how fast it will fly, but that day I measured 10 meters p/sec which calculates to 36 kph.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

zoomy wrote:
Tsawwassen wrote:Thanks for posting this Ray, that's a really nice perspective. I'm curious, what kind of drone and camera was he using and how strong the wind was? I'm thinking about getting a drone but there aren't a lot that can handle anything over 20 knots.
My Drone is DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I don't know for certain how fast it will fly, but that day I measured 10 meters p/sec which calculates to 36 kph.
Robby Swift and his buddies at Hookipa are flying theirs in over 20 knots I'm pretty sure...
Poultry in motion
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

zoomy wrote: My Drone is DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I don't know for certain how fast it will fly, but that day I measured 10 meters p/sec which calculates to 36 kph.
Thanks for the info, the video was great. Looking forward to getting one.

winddoctor wrote: Robby Swift and his buddies at Hookipa are flying theirs in over 20 knots I'm pretty sure...
Thanks Chris, do you know what kind of drone they were using? I'd really like to have one for the coast, and for the up coming winter sessions! Gopro is releasing one soon as well as their new hero 5 that looks nice.
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Robby said he was using DJI 3's and has upgraded to the latest ones (DJI 4?). The salt air spray eventually killed them.
Poultry in motion
winddude

Post by winddude »

Cool, and it sounds like those ones can follow you. https://www.amazon.ca/s/?field-keywords ... =dron0d-20, but looking at those prices I think I'd rather add a bigger wave board to my quiver.
Must ... Sail... More...
Lawrence <a href="http://www.winddude.com">'Wind Dude'</a> Stewart
JL

Post by JL »

Great dronage , thanks :P
Thermals are good.
Tsawwassen
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Tsawwassen »

winddoctor wrote:Robby said he was using DJI 3's and has upgraded to the latest ones (DJI 4?). The salt air spray eventually killed them.
Thanks Chris!

Sorry for the late reply but this new one from DJI looks very good. In sport mode it can fly up to 40mph, I'm not sure how long at that speed though.

http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro? ... _frontpage
betterl8er

Post by betterl8er »

Thanks for sharing,Ray. Looks great.