August 23

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Baisjohn

August 23

Post by Baisjohn »

Hello Everyone,

My name is John, I am a long time kiter and new to Victoria. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but is anyone going out tomorrow?

If so please it would be great to meet up with.

If there is a better place to discuss meet ups please let me know :)

thank you,
John Bais
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Hi J- like minded peeps at Cook street/Dallas road in town or Gordon's west of Sooke....Cook might be a new type of launch even for a newcomer so watch and ask, great timing today :twisted:
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

Also highly recommended to read through the Sailing Guide parts of the Wiki to get some tips on what to expect and be wary of.
Baisjohn

Post by Baisjohn »

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I will head out to Dallas/cook today if others are going to be there.

If you are heading out, let me know :)
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

Baisjohn wrote:I will head out to Dallas/cook today if others are going to be there.

If you are heading out, let me know :)
try the message board for that 8) I don't think you will be alone :arrow:
Wish less, sail more!!

Baisjohn

Post by Baisjohn »

Thanks Kus!

I will repost this in the message board.
BigDog21

Post by BigDog21 »

Hi Baisjohn,

Just so you know there are two screened raw sewage outfalls around Dallas Road/ Cook Street, (Clover Point Outfall and Macauley Point Outfall), and so the water is filled with "you know what" as it is NOT treated. I never kite there anymore after someone I know got meningitis from kiting at Cook Street. Gordon's would be a much better option.

Want proof of this disgusting reality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DTXKUf200
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by KUS »

I sailed there 30-50 times a year, usually right at Klover for 15 of my last 20 years in Vic. Back when it was windy there. :roll: Yes there is crap in the water but majority is a ways out. There is tons of current in the strait. No I never got sick. I have the silly habit of letting a little ocean water into my mouth when I'm sailing....perhaps it is unavoidable. My taste buds are awesome and I could tell a bad day from a good day. It never let it bother me, maybe I should have. There were many good days. The water quality is much, much worse after a heavy rain so that's what I would focus on!!! Yes Gordon's is sweet but then again I believe there are septic fields all along that beach and up the hill, Tugwell and Muir creeks both empty right there...has anyone tested the water there? I bet it's not as crystal as we think… Then again I don't think about it, I'm here to sail, I can't live without it...so what's the choice?
Wish less, sail more!!