Minor incident at Nitinat Aug 26th – feedback?

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
Globe

Post by Globe »

tempy wrote:Globe, it is not about enforcing a right of way rule - I totally agree that we should all be more defensive. However, the " rules of the water" ( let's call them that) are in place so that we know what we SHOULD be doing if we are in control of our craft, and to prevent the uncertainty as to who should " give way" that leads to collisions.

If I had to try summarize this ( very productive exchange, btw) it would be:
1. Everyone should be taught and know the " right of way" rules,
2. Inexperienced operators should err on the side of " avoid" or " " stop" if in doubt,
3. Experienced operators should ID newbies and be tolerant of and avoid them - give them a wide, considerate berth , because we can!
4. Have fun out there - it is all good!

I agree Tempy - you are right. Especially regarding being tolerant.

In a somewhat unrelated story... I recall one newer kiter that I was fully aware of (again kiting in tighter quarters), There was no issue, right away was in fact in my favour but that had nothing to do with it. In any case, the newbie didn't notice me approaching until we were close and then their instant reaction was to try to stop (though unnecessary) - they did this by using their kite (bringing it to the other side of the window in 30+ knots quickly) and instead of stopping they went for a 15 foot uncontrolled jump and ... splat !
I felt bad, but really had nothing to do with it. I was passing upwind of this kiter they just weren't entirely aware of their surroundings... anyway, again right of way... important but I'm glad I wasn't downwind of them and was fully aware of the kiters ability / unpredictability.

I should have given more berth, but then again in a puddle with 10 kites there's only so much room you can give and going downwind would have been unpleasant in that situation assuming the same reaction...!
Joostio
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Joostio »

Bingo Skywalker.

Rule number 1 avoid contact and make intentions early of your direction of travel. It's a pretty big ocean or lake with room for everybody.