New Zealand

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
abetanzo

New Zealand

Post by abetanzo »

I'm planning a trip and wanted to ask around on the best places to fly a kite! I used to live there for over two years but never as a kiter.. Windy Wellington is an obvious choice and Nelson was always good.

any beta or places to find weather related stuff would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

I have heard Taranaki area is excellent for wind and waves. I reviewed my trip diary a while back from a trip many years ago. The comment on Taranaki area was "blown out again".

Seems to be a bit of a kite scene at Raglan, by the bay not at the surf breaks.
GregK

Post by GregK »

+1 for Taranaki. Windsurfed there, biggest and longest period waves I've ever encountered. Should be heaps of awesome kite spots on both islands.

90-mile beach on the top of the North Island was spectacular, almost endless pure white sand gently-shelving beach, but no wind when I was there ( NZ summertime ).
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
gnarf

Post by gnarf »

I just saw a couple clips from a place called New Plymouth on the kiteboarding Facebook group and pretty sure I've seen footage from there before. Might be a good spot to check for waves and wind.
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Christchurch has a big kite scene too. The whole country is coastline so lots of option!
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Couple spots to hit near Windy Wellington!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hyrALRaLaE

Might have to try and make it to Taranaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAYeP9J3SLE
GregK

Post by GregK »

New Pylmouth & Taranaki are the same place essentially.
Comox Kite Repair ( retired )
Eazyas

Post by Eazyas »

Auckland has all water conditions (flat water, waves) on all wind directions and pretty short drives. Otherwise west coast has stronger wind (12-25knts) bigger waves and mostly westerlies, way gnarlier.

East coast is lighter wind with summer thermal of 9-14kts everyday with the odd stronger day but rarely higher than 20knts in the summer which could be good for foiling and waves sometimes, but high skunkage! Most spots are rideable on all wind directions.

Unless you go in july-sept you will not need small kites. It's not very common to ride smaller than a 9m. Except the odd storm.

You can ride anywhere really, just watch out for rip tides and gnarly waves. They kill lots of tourists, no joke.

Auckland, Raglan, Tauranga, Taranaki, Wellington, Nelson, Napier, Kaikoura, Christchurch etc.... any city, you're good