Lost Mako at Clover Point/Ross Bay

General discussions about kiting: equipment, setup tips, safety, where to go, where you should have been, lost and found
RIG_RAGE

Lost Mako at Clover Point/Ross Bay

Post by RIG_RAGE »

The Daryl lost his late model blue and white
135 Mako at Dallas today

If you find it give him a shout or PM me.

Daryl
250-858-8573
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by TonyT1000 »

Bummer dude. The wind direction was quite westerly yesterday (I SUPed downwind from Ogden to Clover yesterday at about noon) so wouldn't surprise me if it ended up in Haro Strait. Did he get tangled in a buoy (as reported in one place) or did he lose his board in the chop?

What are people's thoughts on those board leashes (the reeled ones, supposed to be safer?). I was thinking of looking into one when I get comfortable enough to kite off Cook St. Seems like it could be a good idea out there in the bumps.
abetanzo

Post by abetanzo »

Don't use a leash when riding it's not worth the risk... if you keep a spare kite leash on your harness you can attach it to your board when self rescuing
juandesooka
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by juandesooka »

Leashes are considered a no no ... too dangerous in other ways to be worthwhile. When learning get a go Joe... iinflatable attachment for board strap, makes the board float face up so it's visible and blowsit ddownwind. Can get one at ocean rodeo or 7 post a wanted ad for used one or make one yourself with a water wing and a zap strap.
Snarfer
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by Snarfer »

Well this always helped me - but after the fact now. Plus Brendan would beat on me. https://oceanrodeo.com/kiteboarding/acc ... joe/?b=523
MartyD
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by MartyD »

Don't use a board leash. Terrible idea and very unsafe. Even the reel ones are very dangerous. If you arrive at the beach with a board leash it is the same as painting "KOOK" on your forehead. You know how to body drag Toni! Go Joe is the best option if you are concerned. But just be patient and remember your training!
TonyT1000
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by TonyT1000 »

No leash - of any kind - got it - msg received and understood. Appreciate the "direct" responses!