Canal Beach Park

General discussions. Please keep the topics weather, windsurf and kiteboard related. See the Off-Topic forum for other topics.
KUS
Website Donor
Website Donor

Canal Beach Park

Post by KUS »

Just another shout out to the folks such as the Sandy Beach family and friends, local windsurf and kite boarders such as Kiter Dale, the artists, the ACDC clan and many others I am sure who contributed to the Port Alberni park establishment and thriving activities there now.

I was down there the other day to see how things have come along. Trees are maturing, grass is lush, sandy access, defined beach volleyball sand court set up, great parking, new rock garden driveway/access road and a wonderful picnic shelter is being completed now! :twisted:

I remember the dust devil storms, dried up junk and rust, scrap and rusting steel, moldy wooden debris and stinky creosote, who knows what else. The difficult task of trying to get the trees and grass to grow and not shrivel up and die. This old polluted eyesore turned into a great water access and community park. All the junk and scrap has been now removed. Stunning views, great wind/water access while having a protected park area and sun exposure. It is simply amazing now :idea: You should all be so proud, what a legacy for those visitors and families in PA to enjoy!

The town should add Canal Beach Park to the blue signage on the roadways to direct folks to this new jewel!!
Attachments
P1200267.JPG
P1200267.JPG (157.5 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
P1200266.JPG
P1200266.JPG (164.5 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
P1200265.JPG
P1200265.JPG (165.5 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Wish less, sail more!!
Vancouver Island Windsports
Chinook /Takuma /KA Australia

You're either in or in the way....
Doing things the hard way since 1963....
winddoctor
Website Donor
Website Donor

Post by winddoctor »

Wow! Looks amazing!
Poultry in motion
more force 4
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by more force 4 »

So what is the launch like now? The beach used to be pretty nasty and if memory serves the kiters used to have to jump off the end of the rotting pier. Are there too many trees planted to be able to launch a kite (probably too squirrely wind on the shore anyway I think. I remember having to drift launch windsurfers).
Sandy Beach

Re: Canal Beach Park

Post by Sandy Beach »

KUS wrote:Just another shout out to the folks such as the Sandy Beach family and friends, local windsurf and kite boarders such as Kiter Dale, the artists, the ACDC clan and many others I am sure who contributed to the Port Alberni park establishment and thriving activities there now.

You should all be so proud, what a legacy for those visitors and families in PA to enjoy!

It means a lot to see your post, Kus!
Thanks for the acknowledgement.

There's been a lot of people over the years who have contributed immensely to the shape Canal Beach waterfront park has taken. In the past year, it has been great to have the local Kiwanis and volleyball groups contribute thousands of dollars to provide some great amenities for the public.

It's amazing how community involvement can move mountains (and tons of old, rusty industrial debris :roll: ) , plus, make huge improvements for people spaces.

Canal Beach also demonstrates what can be achieved to transition a former industrial waterfront site to a public green space. There are so many around Vancouver Island with similar potential.

Wouldn't it be incredible if governments (including municipal, regional, provincial, federal and bodies, such as port authorities, etc ) could have some vision and long-term goals with public access as part of the plan.

There are kilometers of waterfront locked up behind barbed-wire fences at former mill sites, such as Somass (WFP) in Port Alberni (which is now permanently closed) with no formal short-term or long-term plan in place. The underutilized spaces are such an eyesore for the community, not to mention, under-valued opportunity yet to be seized for re-development.
It's time to plan for the next hundred years, since, this type of industry and waterfront uses are part of the past and don't seem to make much sense any longer.

MF4, the kiteboard launch is at the marine discovery centre (lighthouse) by Harbour Quay (just south of Harbour Quay), it's what the South Port Kiteboarding Community lobbied to have installed. The big wave dave webcam points directly at it, thanks to Dale and Dave!:) For windsurfing launches, behind Port Boathouse (public boat ramp) and Canal Beach (close to old pier) launch both work for us.

Thanks again for the great post, Kus and photos too! Good to see the session log from Monday. Next time you're in town, let ws247 and I know and we will come join you:)
Life is all about balance, and a dose of healthy wind addiction